• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How important is the windshield?

Harvey

Reaction score
Visit site
Late last year I purchased a new helmet - Arai Vector 2. I really like it, but the wind noise is so bad it almost hurts. Last week I realised that if I sit up really straight, it isn't so bad. But this meant I had wind rippling around my neck & shoulders. So maybe it isn't just the helmet, but the way the windscreen guides that wind.

Yesterday I removed the windscreen, and my ride down the freeway was much more comfortable.

So, while I search around for another windscreen option (yes, I've looked at the other forum posts here) I'm keen to know from wiser heads if riding with no windscreen affects the bike.

I'm on the 2012 NC 700S

Cheers.

Late last year I purchased a new helmet - Arai Vector 2. I really like it, but the wind noise is so bad it almost hurts. Last week I realised that if I sit up really straight, it isn't so bad. But this meant I had wind rippling around my neck & shoulders. So maybe it isn't just the helmet, but the way the windscreen guides that wind.

Yesterday I removed the windscreen, and my ride down the freeway was much more comfortable.

So, while I search around for another windscreen option (yes, I've looked at the other forum posts here) I'm keen to know from wiser heads if riding with no windscreen affects the bike.

I'm on the 2012 NC 700S

Cheers.
My motorcycle is a 2012 NC700X not much difference but a little between the S and the X. To answer your question I don't think it effects the handling of the motorcycle but it does effect the rider especially at higher speeds, I tried the same thing for the same reason. I rode the same route I commute to miles almost 58 miles each way on the freeway average 75 mph and it was much more tiring having the wind pushing against your chest at those speeds but it did help a bit with the wind noise, in the end I decided it wasn't enough improvement to leave it off. I'm also on hunt for a improved windscreen, I think I'm going with the Madstad 20"in light grey. I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam. Good luck and report back what you decide

Last edited:
I have a 13 S and rode without the screen when I broke my Madstad. There were no serious ill effects from riding without it, I just missed the screen. I felt the wind pushing on me which would cause me to use my core more and hold on with my knees. Got hit with more rain which cause more fogging of my visor. Not sure if you have tried ear plugs. Good luck :)

I have a 13 S and rode without the screen when I broke my Madstad. There were no serious ill effects from riding without it, I just missed the screen. I felt the wind pushing on me which would cause me to use my core more and hold on with my knees. Got hit with more rain which cause more fogging of my visor. Not sure if you have tried ear plugs. Good luck :)
My first bike had no screen, so I don't mind that.
Ear plugs . . . That's what frustrates me so much about this helmet. Even with the ear plugs I still battle with the wind noise.

My motorcycle is a 2012 NC700X not much difference but a little between the S and the X. To answer your question I don't think it effects the handling of the motorcycle but it does effect the rider especially at higher speeds, I tried the same thing for the same reason. I rode the same route I commute to miles almost 58 on the freeway average 75 mph and it was much more tiring having the wind pushing against your chest at those speeds but it did help a bit with the wind noise, in the end I decided it wasn't enough improvement to leave it off. I'm also on hunt for a improved windscreen, I think I'm going with the Madstad 20"in light grey. I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam. Good luck and report back what you decide

Average 75mph! You clearly have different speed limits than we do.

A shop here suggested a Givi screen which is, I think, 6.5cms taller than the standard screen. Thinking about that. He suggested that I try taping some cardboard to the standard screen to try it out first. Will rest back on what happens.

You've to find a windshield that matches YOUR height on the bike. Earplugs are necessary even for a Schuberth as speed rises.

Also if the air stream is directed to your neck by a windshield you'll have too much noise with every helmet...

I have a very short windshield on my NC. The buffering and noise was bad with my AGV helmet so I removed the windscreen and the noise and buffering were gone. I found a nice short windshield that keeps the wind of my chest but the helmet remains in the wind. As far as handling it actually improves. Pushing a larger than stock windscreen does affect the bikes handling characteristics at higher speeds. I've toured over 14,000 miles and have no complains. The air flow on hot days helps keep you cool.

Average 75mph! You clearly have different speed limits than we do.

A shop here suggested a Givi screen which is, I think, 6.5cms taller than the standard screen. Thinking about that. He suggested that I try taping some cardboard to the standard screen to try it out first. Will rest back on what happens.

Going from a stock screen or no screen to the Givi is probably not a good choice. The Givi is likely a mid height screen which will worsen the noise and turbulence. Clean air from having no screen, or still air from a full screen are your best options. Any height in between will be worse, in my opinion, from what I have experienced.

Back in the day of the 1970s Universal Japanese Motorcycle, there were no windscreens, and most riders got along just fine.

Screen or no screen, ear plugs are still a must.

Last edited:
It's pretty important. The difference between sitting, standing, and laying on the tank is pretty incredible at 45+ mph: ripping and popping, woosh, and silence accompanied by the soft purr of the motor, respectively. ;)

Edit: I got an Icon helmet on closeout, which I'm not sure they make anymore, so ymmv.

-------How important is the windshield? ---depends on your goals
it certainly affecting a fuel consumption. specially at high speeds(>45mph)

I have a very short windshield on my NC. The buffering and noise was bad with my AGV helmet so I removed the windscreen and the noise and buffering were gone. I found a nice short windshield that keeps the wind of my chest but the helmet remains in the wind. As far as handling it actually improves. Pushing a larger than stock windscreen does affect the bikes handling characteristics at higher speeds. I've toured over 14,000 miles and have no complains. The air flow on hot days helps keep you cool.

Where did you find a shorter than standard windshield? That's an option that hadn't crossed my mind. Can you add a pic to show bike looks like with a short screen?

Windscreens are VERY IMPORTANT. Without them, weather patterns on the planet earth would be increasingly prone to lack of movement, and many areas would suffer the doldrums. We need as many people as possible supplying energy via electric and especially petroleum-based transportation devices to keep the world from running out of wind.

-- ask Doctor Science

Ha ha ha. Very good, Greenboy. Reminds me of someone (G.K. Chesterton maybe) question "is it the wind that causes the trees to sway, or is it the swaying of the trees that causes the wind?"

But I digress.

If you have such a windshield, how does it affect your vision? Do you look over the screen or through it?

I have the tallest Vstream windshield they make... the 22" maybe... clear one. I look through most of the time, I'm a shorter guy (5'8"), but I can peak over it if I need to. Took a bit of getting used to, but not much. Easy trade off for the huge reduction of wind in my face and low noise level. Wouldn't go back to a smaller screen.

Before that, I had a bit smaller one, but still much bigger than the OEM. It was a Powerbronze brand. It also offered good wind/noise reduction, but when it came time for me to go on a big trip across the US, I bought the big one and I'm just keeping it on indefinitely now.

About to order a big one for my Vstrom too.

Where did you find a shorter than standard windshield? That's an option that hadn't crossed my mind. Can you add a pic to show bike looks like with a short screen?

I'm using the Zero Gravity windscreen. It's the one on the left. I would take a picture but the bike is still in storage, we still have snow on the ground.

image_465_compare2.jpg

The air flow over the top of a shield is the only air the needs to be managed.
While sitting in the saddle the top of the shield should allow one to see approximately 1 car length ahead.
In short, no pun intended, the taller the better. My 24" clear Parabellum works great.

Back