• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many miles now?

I have 18,000+ miles on my 2013 Nc700x, all OEM chain/sprockets/fluids. On my second set of tires; Continental Motions. Bines, I also have a 2007 Suzuki C50 I bought new in October 2007 (1 mile on the ODO). I now have 72,000+ miles on it-I rode it about 100 miles yesterday-still runs like a champ.

On paper, the C50 and NCX have nearly the same horsepower and torque. How do they compare on the street? I sat on the NCX at the MC show. The fit is go. /snicker ;)

On paper, the C50 and NCX have nearly the same horsepower and torque. How do they compare on the street? I sat on the NCX at the MC show. The fit is go. /snicker ;)

Actually on paper, their HP is different. The C50 has a 805 CC engine (50ci) with 42-45 bhp and weighs approx. 600lbs (depending on accessories). The NC700x has a 670cc engine with 51-54 bhp and weighs approx. 450 lbs (depending on accessories)
One would think since the Honda is lighter with more bhp, it would be significantly faster. Not true. Both have about the same top end speed (approx. 115mph), 0-60 times about the same. The Honda is smoother above 70mph than the C50 (Honda is parallell twin while C50 is a v-twin).

Handling in curves-Honda has the advantage; the Honda is more flickable (I know, not a word). Visibility in congested areas; I find drivers see me better on the C50 even though it sits lower to the ground and shorter seat height, it is just a bigger bike.
Long distance Interstate riding (yes I do a lot of Interstate riding-commuting to work, and 2-3 Florida trips from Indiana each year), the C50 is more comfortable at the end of my 800 mile/13 hour road trips, but then, I have a Mustang seat on the C50.
The C50 has mid controls while the Nc700x has standard controls. The C50 could use a 6th overdrive gear (only a 5 speed) and even after 72,000+ miles, I find myself looking for that extra gear sometimes.

When I switch bikes to ride, the most thing I have to get used to between the bikes (besides the turn signal/horn placement) is the braking.
The NC700x has disk brakes in both front and rear, while the C50 only has disk brakes in the front, drum brakes on the rear, and the drum brakes on the C50 are at least 4x better than the rear brake on the NC700x (my opinion).

Actually on paper, their HP is different. The C50 has a 805 CC engine (50ci) with 42-45 bhp and weighs approx. 600lbs (depending on accessories). The NC700x has a 670cc engine with 51-54 bhp and weighs approx. 450 lbs (depending on accessories)
One would think since the Honda is lighter with more bhp, it would be significantly faster. Not true. Both have about the same top end speed (approx. 115mph), 0-60 times about the same. The Honda is smoother above 70mph than the C50 (Honda is parallell twin while C50 is a v-twin).

Handling in curves-Honda has the advantage; the Honda is more flickable (I know, not a word). Visibility in congested areas; I find drivers see me better on the C50 even though it sits lower to the ground and shorter seat height, it is just a bigger bike.
Long distance Interstate riding (yes I do a lot of Interstate riding-commuting to work, and 2-3 Florida trips from Indiana each year), the C50 is more comfortable at the end of my 800 mile/13 hour road trips, but then, I have a Mustang seat on the C50.
The C50 has mid controls while the Nc700x has standard controls. The C50 could use a 6th overdrive gear (only a 5 speed) and even after 72,000+ miles, I find myself looking for that extra gear sometimes.

When I switch bikes to ride, the most thing I have to get used to between the bikes (besides the turn signal/horn placement) is the braking.
The NC700x has disk brakes in both front and rear, while the C50 only has disk brakes in the front, drum brakes on the rear, and the drum brakes on the C50 are at least 4x better than the rear brake on the NC700x (my opinion).

Interesting. When I was looking up horse power data on the NCX, as recently as yesterday, I didn't find any 50s. Between postings and pictures of dyno charts, everything said low to mid 40s. Hey, I'll take a few more.

Yeah. The C50 got buzzy around 65-70, and more at faster speeds. I pegged out the speedo once.
Sounded and felt like it was going to fly to pieces. But to drive normally at 70-80 mph, it was buzzy but did fine. A sixth gear would've been nice. People liked putting C90 drives on them. I put 45,000 miles on mine, mostly commuting across the DFW. No C90 drive, but I did have Cobra pipes and a fuel manager for the second half of owning it. The C50 did a fine job as a commuter and worked for interstate.

Surprised to hear the drum brake is better. I found it quite adequate, but didn't think it would be better than the NCX.

Nice comparison. Thanks.

Interesting. When I was looking up horse power data on the NCX, as recently as yesterday, I didn't find any 50s. Between postings and pictures of dyno charts, everything said low to mid 40s. Hey, I'll take a few more.

Yeah. The C50 got buzzy around 65-70, and more at faster speeds. I pegged out the speedo once.
Sounded and felt like it was going to fly to pieces. But to drive normally at 70-80 mph, it was buzzy but did fine. A sixth gear would've been nice. People liked putting C90 drives on them. I put 45,000 miles on mine, mostly commuting across the DFW. No C90 drive, but I did have Cobra pipes and a fuel manager for the second half of owning it. The C50 did a fine job as a commuter and worked for interstate.

Surprised to hear the drum brake is better. I found it quite adequate, but didn't think it would be better than the NCX.

Nice comparison. Thanks.
Yea, I thought about the c90 drive but it wasn't a direct swap, cutting and welding was involved so I did not opt for the switch.

What are yall doing for valve adjustments?
I have a local mechanic adjust the valves at 16,000 mile intervals. It should be 8,000 for my bike, but I noticed the latest version of Nc specifies 16 not 8. For my bike that works well. I adjust valves whenever I replace tires.

StratTuner, you are now over 50,000. Great! I have not ridden much lately, but still got you by a couple of thousand. However, I will put on about 4,000 miles in the next few weeks in Mexico. You won't believe this, but I put on more mileage before I retired per year, than I how am putting on every year sense I retired. When working I averaged about 35,000 per year, now I am back to only 27,000 per year. Fifty Seven years of riding does slow one down a bit. So, you will most likely pass me on NC7 mileage this year.

This is really cool , I was just saying to myself earlier that I just know when I retire I'm-ah-gonna-be put'n many more miles on the bike. Well that may or may not be so. All's I can do is hope. Have about 7mo. of ride time here. The most I've done in a season is 22000. I average around 15. Having a gracious Wife who is not big on riding but has allowed me to tour has been a blessing.

Congrats guy's on your milestones...It's great to see and share the deep passion we have to explore on two wheels.

I'm certainly impressed with the mileage you guys (and gals) are reporting! I've had my X for coming up on 2 years, 3/23, and have just shy of 10,000 miles. I'm sure I'll break 10k by the end of March. I am lucky enough to live in a pretty mellow climate, although when it's raining cats and hyenas and 35 degrees, I'm not down for the adventure. Almost all of my riding has been either commuting or day rides with buddies. The commute is about 40mi round trip and I like to make site visits for work on my way home. i see lots of cool side roads and a fair amount of gravel weirdness. Love the bike. If it had 20 more horsepower and 50lb less weight, I'd love it even more, but it does EVERYTHING I want it to now, so I can't complain too loud or long..
Check out the Portland Alley Sweeper urban enduro if you get the chance! I'm looking forward to my third year doing it, and don't expect I'll get my old XL500 going in time for it (again) so the X will likely be my mount of necessity. Does just fine as long as I'm careful of my speed and the tire/mud interface. If anybody lives anywhere near PDX and is bored around the first weekend in April, I highly recommend it.

Seen this pic from adv.
0aa97b75901eade75a8ed80c38b5de27.jpg

Why the pointing out of the difference between commuting and leisure riding? My commute is through prime CT bike roads in the Last Green Valley. Rts 74, 44, 101, & 169 just to name a few. Commuting can be leisure riding if you go the right way. Just waiting for the weather to be a bit warmer so I can commute with the Mrs. 40 is too cold for her in the am. But for the record in 11 days I've only gotten 300 miles, 80 of that today.

1000 so far.
I'm on vacation on the blue ridge parkway this week, so many more by friday. :cool:

I hit 3k the other day. I picked up the NC (Skookum -a 2015 DCT) as a commuter tool after not riding for the last 30 years. All I have to say is - This is fun! What a great way to get to work.

I did an oil change at 600 and will do another this week. Just bought a new set of tires (Roadsmart 2) but I still have a lot of rubber left on the stock Trailmax set.

Back