• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at 2012 NC700X

north6633

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at a 2012 NC700X that is set up really nice with 6,800 miles on it. With the following list of add ons:
* Honda Complete factory 3 piece luggage set (easily removable) with color matched trim panels
* Factory large rear luggage plate and w/mount
* Side ("tank") trim panels
* Honda Factory heated grips
* Hepco Becker crash bar set
* Corbin (front section) Touring Seat
* Bright LED running lights (with dual intensity function)
* Honda Factory touring (tall) windscreen and mount
* Garmin Zumo 660 motorcycle GPS navigator (fully updated w/2017 map) and custom mount
* Engine skid plate
* Factory center stand
* Rear fender (huggar)
* 12v Socket (inside front trunk)
* PIAA (loud) horn
* Adjustable levers
* Radiator guard
* Large sidestand foot
* Front fender extender
* Rear brake flasher (w/extra bulb)
* R&G Muffler guard
* Insert nylon bag for "frunk" (for front storage trunk)
* LED headlight bulb
* Factory Service Manual

He is the original owner and wants $5,850 for the bike. Went over and checked it out last night and it is in great shape and appears to be the real deal.

So my question is, what if, anything should I be aware in this model year on NC700X? The price seems fair I don't have a good feel for this bike. Its for my girlfriend and she really likes it. She is currently touring XT225 and has covered some 2500 miles with it in the last 2 months. The downside of the 225, is it limits us time wise for touring, since we pretty much have to stick to back roads. Let alone basic comfort and range factors. This would be the perfect bike for her to move up to.

We didn't test ride the bike last night due to rain and I did't want to take someones bike out in the rain in an area I was not familiar with. But the plan is to test ride a new bike at the dealership tomorrow so she can get a feel for the bike. Then setup another viewing/test ride on Sunday.

So any input or thoughts on the bike is much appreciated. I have done a quite a bit of research and I can't find anything that is glaringly wrong with the bike. Other than if you are expecting or want a fast bike this isn't the bike. And my girlfriends exact comment on that is, "I just want a bike that's a little faster than the XT225 that I can ride on the interstate comfortably and can pass people going highway speeds."

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure how long the seller has had the bike on the market but I think you could negotiate to a slight lower price. At $5000 it would be an absolute steal and at $5500 would be a great deal. As for the bike, there isn't much to be concerned with. Note that 2012-2013 models do recommend first valve inspection at 8000 miles. Good luck on your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That bike is pretty much ready to go. Despite being the first year of the bike, the 2012 has a good solid reputation and we have not seen any trends in maintenance related issues. I'd be curious if he has even done a single service. He has probably only changed the oil which could mean the valves will need to be checked soon. Some do it at 8K but I waited until 12K. I would also be curious as to whether the battery has sat on a tender for all these years. If it only has 6K of miles, it has been sitting in the garage a whole lot. If the battery has not been on a tender, it could be on its last leg. Outside that, if he will let you take it for a spin, do it. Don't expect the engine to feel the same as your other bike. Good luck with your choice. I'm betting someone who put this much work into the bike took good care of it but it has sat a lot.

I've owned a 2014 NC700X I bought new, an XT250, and my son had an XT225.

If the NC fits her well ergonomically, then it sounds like she'll love it. The power is smooth, highway speeds are just fine, is a very stable ride. I recommend a longer test ride (at least 20 minutes), as the ergo problems I have didn't show up immediately.. Lower back pain and seat slope forward problems. I'm 6'2" 215lbs with a bad lower back.

Randy
XT250, Super Tenere, NC700X

Almost $6K for a used 2012, five-year old, non-ABS, non-DCT seems high. Accessories typically have very little used value but the center stand, heated grips, luggage, and GPS would be nice if you need them. If you don't like the rock-hard Corbin you could probably sell it quickly.

Not an easy bike to price, that is for sure.

If the owner did all the rewiring for the accessories I would take a peek inside his garage and house so you can get an idea of how OCD he was. The more OCD, the better the chance you don't have a rat's nest under the plastic panels ;-) It is easy to follow the rat's nest you created, not so easy to follow a rat's nest of wiring that someone else cobbled up.

Find out his user name and search the forums...I get a LOT of interesting info about the "ownership experience" of particular bikes that way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.

The owner has taken very good care and has had the maintenance done by the dealer and as I mentioned I think that pretty much only an oil change. Viewing the bike its immaculate for a 5 year old bike. Its been garaged and taken care of and I suspect even rarely ridden in that rain.

So good points on the valve check and battery, didn't think to ask him about that. One thing I like about this bike is it appears to be relatively easy to do your own maintenance. I tend to do all my own work on bikes so that a big deal for me.

He was open to letting me ride the bike last night. But as I mentioned in my original post it was raining and I didn't feel like heading out in the rain with someones bike that they are selling. I really want my GF to ride it for comfort factor. I want to ride it to feel comfortable with it mechanically. I can solve the GF comfort factor with a dealer test ride tomorrow. And just to the mechanical test ride Sunday.

Brand new manual NC700X at the local dealer is $4,500 (list not OTD) and 2014's with some upgrades are running $4,700 to 5K on CL. But nothing out there has this quantity of farkling and the farkling is done well. So those are all pluses. All the farkling was done by the local dealer.

Last edited:
Almost $6K for a used 2012 non-ABS, non-DCT seems high. Accessories typically have very little used value but the center stand, heated grips, luggage, and GPS would be nice if you need them. If you don't like the rock-hard Corbin you could probably sell it quickly.

Not an easy bike to price, that is for sure.

If the owner did all the rewiring for the accessories I would take a peek inside his garage and house so you can get an idea of how OCD he was. The more OCD, the better the chance you don't have a rat's nest under the plastic panels ;-) It is easy to follow the rat's nest you created, not so easy to follow a rat's nest of wiring that someone else cobbled up.

Find out his user name and search the forums...I get a LOT of interesting info about the "ownership experience" of particular bikes that way.

Good points, I know I would end up buying the luggage, heated grips and centerstand for any bike that did not have it. So those are all pluses. The driving lights would be high on the get list too.

Last edited:
Yea, with the additions that's not a bad price at all. And all the time saved from adding them too.
If you have the loot and it looks the way you/she likes.. I'd snag it.

Thats a good point. There is a lot of time involved with installing all that. And it looks like it's done well. So those are all definitely good things.

Yeah, advice will tend to think in terms of the lower prices seen on machines with little consideration given to farkling that might mostly be what you'd want anyway. My rule of thumb is to look more at what local pricing looks like (including whatever range you are willing to travel to look at and buy). If it's somewhat within your price range to start with, the amount of fun and utility you'll get out of the bike will quickly make you forget that maybe a monster deal could have came along a little later, and you'll have the satisfaction of a seller who didn't feel pressured to take it in the *** ; }

Price isn't really bad actually. Probably in excess of $3000 worth (of what sounds like quality) farkels that are already on the bike. Value in time spent is another consideration. Any thing you don't really want or like you can sell here or elsewhere to replace with something you do want or need.

Normally I agree with farkles not adding to purchase price of a bike, but this seems close to reasonable IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP, here is a recent data point:

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/12979-2015-honda-nc700x-dct-$5-900-obo-san-diego-ca.html#post188204

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/12979-2015-honda-nc700x-dct-$5-900-obo-san-diego-ca.html#post188204
Link doesn't work, can't click on it at all

Thanks, that adds food for thought. With new data points I am thinking he might be a bit high. There is the aspect of it being prime riding season so bike will fetch a bit more.

I am pretty comfortable with this being a well cared for bike and the price while probably a little on the high side is not completely out line. The one thing that gives me pause is the manual bikes don't come with ABS and that is something I would really like my GF to have in a bike. So that is giving me a bit of pause.

Here is a couple pictures of the bike in question.
nc700.jpg
nc700-2.jpg

Thanks, that adds food for thought. With new data points I am thinking he might be a bit high. There is the aspect of it being prime riding season so bike will fetch a bit more.

I am pretty comfortable with this being a well cared for bike and the price while probably a little on the high side is not completely out line. The one thing that gives me pause is the manual bikes don't come with ABS and that is something I would really like my GF to have in a bike. So that is giving me a bit of pause.

Here is a couple pictures of the bike in question.
View attachment 33846
View attachment 33847
Looks good except no fork protection. I would add a set of gators and a chain oiler. Your GF isn't a new rider and the brakes on the NC aren't strong enough to be unmanageable, I only use the front brake except in oh Shi* moments and I've been surprised by how quickly the bike can stop when you try as hard as possible. ABS would be nice but I wouldn't worry about

Yeah, the fork gators and hand guards would be on the list of add ons missing from my point of view. Pretty insignificant really. The only other thing I would look at is adding Shinko 705s in place of the stock tires.

OP: Has your GF looked at a CTX? I think that is the one I might have bought if I had given it a bit more thought.

Here is a DCT/ABS version that you probably already saw in the classified but anyway....

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/13172-2014-ctx700n-dct-abs-2400-miles-so-cal-black-$4900.html

I wouldn't consider a bike too seriously without ABS but that doesn't mean it is right for everyone. I absolutely love the DCT and that is coming from 144,000 miles on a GL1800. If/when Honda adds a DCT to that Hondapotamus I'll be first in line ;-)

The only disadvantage I see with factory luggage (and it isn't that huge) is that it has to stay with the NC. My aftermarket panniers can be moved to any motorcycle that Givi has mounts for. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but a nice option.

Good luck in your search....

Last edited:
Back