• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Luggage Questions (Givi vs. Shad)

208rider

Reaction score
designbyparrish.com
I am interested in getting some side cases for my NC700X. I am not as inclined to get a top case at this time. So far, I am looking primarily at the Givi E41, the Givi V35, and the Shad SH36. One question I have regarding these cases is how wide the NC700X becomes when equipped with these respective side case options and their required mounts.

I would appreciate any information you can provide about these cases and how they mount to the bike. I am especially curious how Shad's new 3P Mounting System works. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Any other recommendations for side cases? My goal is not to make the bike excessively wide while still having enough capacity to travel. Shad's SH36 cases are their only side cases with an acceptable weight capacity, so if I rule them out, I will most likely go with one of Givi's Monokey options.

As a newbe, I've been going through the same exercise specifically looking at the V35 vs the SH36. Having stolen a couple of photos - one from wickerman (above) and one from itlives (from an earlier thread), I come up with this:

Comparo.jpg

Looks to me like the V35 setup is narrower than the SH36. Whether that is worth the extra money is a question only you can answer.

In the NC700 Mods section from Sep 2014, itlives did a great review on the Shad setup.

If I stepped on any toes by "appropriating" these images, I apologize profusely.

I can't get away from the Givi E22N. I know they're small, but they are like half the price of others.

+1. I have the E22s and they fit just about anything I need. I can fit my riding pants (olympia air glides) along with gloves, glasses and some school supplies all in one pannier. I haven't honestly used both sides yet. Now they may not be your go to case if you're doing week trips, but honestly between them and the Frunk I'd have no problem doing a 3 day trip as long as I wasn't camping.

Thanks, 670. I knew that thread was somewhere!
If I remember right, the Shad 36's are about 42" wide in their natural configuration. Wider than the handlebars -that's about the only thing I didn't like about them.
I liked the looks and they also seemed to give a little more stability at interstate speeds. They are great for long distance road rides.
I still have them for sale if anyone wants to make an offer - shameless plug. :rolleyes:

This thread should answer any questions you have about the Shad set-
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/7305-shad-sh-36-side-cases.html

Last edited:
Have you thought about the Kappa side cases, Kappa is GIVI's lower cost option, the K33n is similar to the GIVI V35 just plainer looking, Monokey Side : K33N - MONOKEYSIDE CASE 33ltr they use the same mounting hardware as the V35's. I was thinking about getting these till I decided to get the Trekkers instead. I think Tour & Ride is the only U.S. dealer for Kappa products but you can order them from Motostorm in Italy Kappa K33n Monokey Side | MotoStorm [en] racks for V35 & K33
Givi Plx1111 | MotoStorm [en] Also to mount the GIVI racks you will need this Givi 1111kit | MotoStorm [en] or this Givi 1111fz | MotoStorm [en] here is a link to the Kappa version of the same thing at Tour & Ride http://tourandride.com/my-motorcycle/honda/nc700x-12-13/1111kit-kit-for-mounting-te1111-detail http://tourandride.com/my-motorcycle/honda/nc700x-12-13/kz1111-monorack-sidearms-detail I just realized that the picture in the T&R link is not accurate for the NC. Probably a generic picture of the sidearms.

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. My goal is to occasionally use my NC700X for longer (1-2 week) trips, so the Givi E22 cases, while nice and slender for commuting, fall a little short. It does occur to me, though, that if I opted for the E41 cases for traveling, I could use a set of E22 cases for commuting as they use the same mounts.

I purchased my v35s from Motostorm.it. It took a couple of weeks for them to arrive but for the savings it was well worth the wait and made them cheaper than the Shad cases. I ordered the cases with silver covers for no extra charge but they arrived with black ones. I contacted motorstorm and they immediately sent out the silver inserts. Their customer service is good and they respond quickly, I have done several orders from them and probably will be ordering a new top case from them.

I commute daily and the size of the cases have never been a problem they don't stick out much more that the handle bars. I also added lights from admore lighting to increase visibility. Givi's customer service is also top notch I recently called about a drilling a lock on my other bike. They answered immediately and walked my through how to drill out lock. I broke the only key I had. I have never dealt with Shad before but it would be worth your will to find out if anyone here is happy with their customer service. Good luck in your decision and purchase.

One thing I forgot about motostorm is when you do a search their outlet section is separate I just checked they have v35 on the outlet for $305 USD vs $346 USD for non outlet.

Back