• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mounting an iPhone on the NC700X handlebar

Pabaldeagle

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have a recommended mount and waterproof holder which fits on the angled NC700X handlebars? I am planning to use the GPS feature of the phone in landscape mode when riding.

Thanks for the reference. I had looked at Ram but was not sure it would work with the sharp downward angle the bars take in the middle. Also concerned about a post mount being blocked by the Honda label. The u bolt looks like it will work and can sit up by the left hand grip more or less at a 90 degree angle. I'll try it and advise. Thanks !

+1 to what frozenpoet said. I have a u-bolt setup on my NC, and I've also seen it set up on top of the triple tree / handlebar clamp. I've found that the U-bolt allows for a lot of creativity as to where and how you mount your device. These things really are very versatile.

If you take a look at this thread on advrider.com, about 2/3 of the way down the page is a photo of the ball mount affixed to the triple-tree / handle bar clamp.

Thanks! The ball mount looks like it is placed in the middle of the existing handlebar bolts?! I ordered the Ram tonight with the U-Bolt. I expect the U Bolt will allow it to mount high up on the left handlebar. I use WAZE as the navigation software. It beats even the new Google Map app IMHO. It includes a dim feature for night, incorporates traffic when establishing a route (I've tried both apps side by side and the WAZE seemed "smarter" about avoiding traffic. Buried down a few menus is a setting to avoid highways so I can enjoy more twists and less traffic when riding around the Bay Area. Cheers!

Thanks! The ball mount looks like it is placed in the middle of the existing handlebar bolts?! I ordered the Ram tonight with the U-Bolt. I expect the U Bolt will allow it to mount high up on the left handlebar. I use WAZE as the navigation software. It beats even the new Google Map app IMHO. It includes a dim feature for night, incorporates traffic when establishing a route (I've tried both apps side by side and the WAZE seemed "smarter" about avoiding traffic. Buried down a few menus is a setting to avoid highways so I can enjoy more twists and less traffic when riding around the Bay Area. Cheers!
That is my bike and the Ram ball is actually the upper part of a U-bolt Ram mount. I could have mounted it on the bar but saw with a little modification it would mount onto the handlebar mount. I had the same U-bolt mount on the bar of a previous bike and no matter how tightly bolted down the U- bolt mount would slowly rotate on the bar when subjected to rough road jolts and vibration. A lighter iPhone may result in no such issues but know that the U-bolt mount doesn't have to use the supplied U bolt.

Smart phones are very capable but for two Achilles heels. They are not waterproof and only work where cell service is. The best motorcycle roads are often wet and far from cell towers.

IMG_8777.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo Dave. The photo really helps. RE: weakness of iPhone as GPS, my plans were to use a waterproof case and the iPhone's GPS works without cell towers so long as you use a map cache program (TomTom, GPS Copilot, Navigon). Great went traveling without a data plan.

The hardware from RAM arrived today. The shipping box and plastic packaging alone suggested high quality parts. The mount and bolt look good and sturdy and have lots of swivel room. I'll get those on tomorrow, seeing if I can mount it like Dave did. I like this location over mounting on the bar.

However, the aqua box I selected to help water resist (certainly not proof) is a bit of a disappointment. The rubbery skin top does not seal too well and has several warps so the fit feels cheesy. The back is clear so using the phone for video will work, but there is no way to route a power cord without cutting a hole in the case (which I did). Now to pass the USB end of the apple power cord, the hole had to be large (hey, finally a vote for upgrading to the iPhone 5!). Now I need to patch the hole with some waterproof tape or silicone or something.

UPDATE
The top half of the UBolt mount fit well on the steering wheel clamp holes after drilling the mount holes a bit bigger and wider. I replaced the 1 1/2" chrome bolts with 2" 8mm stainless to compensate for the thinkness of the mount. Looks sturdy and the location affords a perfect view of the phone (landscape mode) and does not block the speedometer. Thanks Dave!

Last edited:
I purchased a RAM Mount for my Iphone - works very well (Pic attached: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder with 1-Inch Ball, RAM Mount Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base w/1" Ball, RAM Mount Aluminum Short Dual 1.0 inch Socket Arm, all from Amazon.com)image.jpg

I got a waterproof case which clips onto handlebar mount off ebay for £15 ($22). Coupled with a 12v dual usb adapter it makes for a good setup. There is quite a choice so well worth a look.

Hit a snag today with the iPhone mounted above the handle bar post. While riding (in about 80 degree weather), I noticed my iPhone displayed a yellow triangle and temperature warning. Not sure if it was the direct sun or the 12VDC adaptor (likely a bit of both plus the heat from the GPS receiver). Unplugged and pulled it from the mount and struck it in my pocket to let it cool. It worked when I tried a few minutes later with no apparent residual effects. I suppose I'll need to change the angle when riding with the sun on my back/its face, or pull the charging cable when not really needed. It's not even that hot yet!

I use Ram Mount's universal mount that attaches with a thick zip tie. Holds an iPhone in a case very nicely, swivels to either landscape or portrait, and yes, I too love Waze!

Steve

image.jpg

Thanks! The ball mount looks like it is placed in the middle of the existing handlebar bolts?!

I have this same setup, with the X-RAM phone holder. As minimalist as it can get, phone is in the perfect position. I keep a couple freezer-graded ziplock bags in my frunk. If it is going to rain, I can put the iPhone in a zip lock bag and back on the X-mount.

Hit a snag today with the iPhone mounted above the handle bar post. While riding (in about 80 degree weather), I noticed my iPhone displayed a yellow triangle and temperature warning. Not sure if it was the direct sun or the 12VDC adaptor (likely a bit of both plus the heat from the GPS receiver). Unplugged and pulled it from the mount and struck it in my pocket to let it cool. It worked when I tried a few minutes later with no apparent residual effects. I suppose I'll need to change the angle when riding with the sun on my back/its face, or pull the charging cable when not really needed. It's not even that hot yet!

Direct sun overheating. Used to happen in my cruiser a lot. I solved it by tilting the iPhone almost vertical and moving it to where it grabbed more air.

Back