• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC-X = Not allowed to buy a BMW

SlowSteve

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me about 1/2 hour ago. I am still trying to work out if it's funny or annoying.

Backstory:
In about 6 months I will be leaving the UK and going to live in the USA for three years. My current feeling is that I don't think I am going to road-ride/commute on a bike in the US due to the sheer rubbishness of the average driver. However, the area where I'm going has a whole load of trails, dirt and a big enduro scene, so I am thinking a lot about swapping my NC to go in that direction.

The enduro bike I have ALWAYS lusted after, ever since they came out, has been the BMW HP2 - they are not sold any more, and the HP1 is definately second on the list. All my thinking about dirt riding in the US has always featured mental images of me being dashing and brave on one of these two. I have been lucky enough to be on an HP2 twice and it was incredible.

Note - talking about the HP2 Enduro here - looks like there was an HP2 Sport in the US, which was a track monster.

Anyway.... enough with the salivating..... I have been putting feelers out in the US and I can't track either an HP1 or an HP2 down. So, I decided to toddle into a BMW Mottorad main dealer to see if they could help me find one on the second hand market - I also know that the BMW off-road school in the UK has a big group of them as well.

Note for American people: You guys got the HP2 Sport, which was a track monster. I'm talking about here what was called the HP2 Enduro

So, I ride to the dealer in my lunch hour. I'm on my NC-X, good helmet, good gear, have actually had a shave for once etc. Wander in, look at the enormous 1200GS's, watch in amazement/severe doubt as the sales guy sells an S1000RR to a lady of perhaps 50 years old who is 5 foot 4 inches, and pick up a few bits that I need - WD40, reflective stuff etc.

Finally get to talk to the sales guy. It goes like this:

Me: "Hi, I'm after some help....."
Sales Guy: "Is that your Honda outside?"
Me "Yup"
Sales guy: "hmmm... please don't take this the wrong way, but people who buy an economy bike like that aren't really who we sell to...."
Me: "erm..... well, I like the bike and it does the job. I've had BMW's before and the money side isn't really an issue....."
Sales Guy: "I have a lot of people tell me that... but they turn out to be time wasters. We're happy to sell your the bits and pieces, but I'm too busy to go through a sales process about bikes with you at the moment..."
Me: "Seriously? Do I look like a dubious character???"
Sales guy: "I'm sure your not sir, but the kind of person who ride's your bike is never going to be the kind of person who would ride one of mine..."

With that, I get an annoying little smile and told I can pay for my bits and that I should have a great day.

So, either I look decidedly suspicious, which I don't think I do ( Chubby? yes. Suspicious - no ), or the NC-X is giving out the wrong sort of impression to stuck up idiots in BMW showrooms....

Last edited:
"We" can be an ostentatious lot, and a bit full of ourselves at times. It is the thing I like least about the Brand. However, what you met was a full-on idiot of a salesperson. I would give him The Gift of Good-bye. We did get the off-roady (non-sport) HP2 over here for a couple of years though.

Have you considered a KTM 990 Adventure?

I'm not exactly sure how I would have handled that? I know I would have been pissed. You probably did the right thing by just leaving. There has got to be a better dealer in that area. That's just ridiculous.

I'm not exactly sure how I would have handled that? I know I would have been pissed. You probably did the right thing by just leaving. There has got to be a better dealer in that area. That's just ridiculous.

Is he the owner?
Can you speak with the owner?
Can you speak to the regional BMW distributor?

I am sure they are not ALL like that. (I know many are). Snob appeal.
:p

I for sure would not buy any more "bits and pieces" from that guy either. If you can talk to the owner of the store, you should. That is unacceptable behaviour in sales.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

I would have handed him the bits and pieces back, and said, "You have a great day too, and thanks for showing me exactly why people like me don't buy bikes from asshats like you. Oh and tell your manager that the guy with the credit score of 830 says Hi, and then buh bye. He'll know what it means."

And it doesn't really matter what your credit score is at that point either because they wouldn't get the opportunity to check it.

But then again I'm one of them "American people" so clearly my own personal *** hattery knows no bounds.

I would take this up the food chain. Total ridiculous. You were stereotyped (not that that was the case with you).

That is a horrible dealership, and the salesperson should be repremanded. Completely, unwarranted, elitism.

I recently traded my NC in for a 2013 r1200gs and my salesperson was excited for the trade in. He was genuinely curious about the NC700x and we sat out in the parking lot BS'ing for 30 minutes kicking the tires and going over it's finer points.

I miss my Honda, but sweet-sassy-molassy I love my GS.

That's funny! Basically, you come to the wise man and say you have seen the errors of your past way and now want to get a real bike. But it's too late. Anyone who would have ever in their life bought a lowly Honda could never be worthy of a BMW. Banished for life!

I would have asked for his sales manager. Then once both he and the sales manager were present, ask him to repeat himself word for word. Then, I would ask them if either of them ever seen money walk before? Then whip out a wad of cash and walk.

As Jimmy_Pop can tell you, the owner of the BMW dealership here is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. The BMW dealership owner himself is a Triumph person. But more important than that, he is a motorcycle person and he Rides! His sales staff is well trained, and the lady sales person is good looking. Sounds like the dealership your dealing with needs to train the sales staff - or - hire some awfully good looking sales ladies.0.jpg

SmileyGrouchoMarx.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing the sales manager wouldn't care. I bet that expletive sales person sells a lot of expensive gear to people that don't know what they are buying. It's not the way to build a good customer base, but some are short minded and go for the quick money.

Seems to me you are better off finding a different dealer.

I find your remark about the remark about the typical rubbishness of American drivers to place you in the same category of arrogant asshat as the BMW sales guy and can't understand how you two failed to bond like long lost brothers.

Oriental motorcycle owner - most bang, fewer bucks
European motorcycle owner – most technical, many bucks
USA Harley motorcycle owner – no bang and no tech, most bucks1.jpg

SmileyTalkingHands.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I find your remark about the remark about the typical rubbishness of American drivers to place you in the same category of arrogant asshat as the BMW sales guy and can't understand how you two failed to bond like long lost brothers.

I must have missed the OP's comment about American drivers. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it does not matter what country you live in.

3qyduf.jpg

I have had similar experience with snobbish dealerships. if you don't look the part or dress the part, they would smell you from a mile away. They would rather spend time and energy with their stereotypically customers to increase the chance of an actual sale.

When I was researching for my next bike, I came down to the NCX and the G650GS. I went into the BMW dealership to check things out. Even with an almost empty showroom on a Saturday afternoon, I couldn't flag down a sales person to save my life. even when I did, he just gave me 2-word answers to every questions that I ask. Nothing more than what anybody can find from the website. Eventually, he just handed me a print-out brochure and sat down on his desk to "do paperwork".

Granted, I am a mid-30 scrawny guy who looks like he just graduated from college. I dress too casually. And I am too price conscience. If I were a typical BWM buyer, I would have ask about what add-on and how soon I can pick up the bike, instead of asking about pricing and fuel mileage.

As for idiot drivers, I agree with n30r3l0ad3d. There are idiot drivers everywhere you go. Roads in the US are straighter, smoother, and wider. Depends on where you go, you will get to ride on some great roads in beautiful scenery. Don't miss out on that.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I would have told him to lubricate the reflective stuff with the WD-40 and stick it where the sun don't shine!

The remark is not meant to cause offence, but the reality is that the main area of roads where I will be, which is north of Atlanta, the quality of driving, especially on the highways, is something I find scary, as do the other Brits I know in that area. Big SUV's, with big blind spots, driven by bleary eyed drivers on the morning commute to work just don't mix with bikes.

I'm told that the office is on an especially bad section of the interstate, there is virtually no signage for the junctions so you get a lot of last minute swerves across multiple lanes to get an exit, but we have perhaps 50 guys in the office who ride, and have had two fatalities and 6 big bike swipes in three years on exactly the section I would commute. At least one of those fatalities is a guy who I held in awe for his ability to ride, and he wasn't safe, neither am I.

Had I spent the last 10 years riding in, say, Spain or Belgium, then Atlanta traffic would look really relaxed, but I've not got that background and as a foreigner, my personal judgement says its not safe for me to ride in that area. I won't ride in Belgium or Spain either if it helps?

Since you sort of apologized for stereotyping we Americans, we accept. Your treatment was unwarranted. No doubt the same many here would get at a HD dealership.

Back