• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New here, consulting some issues

IronBunny

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to this forum, to the NC700X, but not to motorcycles, hello everyone!

Here are some of my questions in order of most important development....

Issue #1

This past weekend I rode the bike 100 miles each way to Daytona bike week and for the first time I started to feel and hear a growl coming from the rear tire general area. I am assuming it is either the chain or rear sprocket, or both. Any suggestions on how to verify this or diagnose what might be the issue. I don't want to continue to ride the bike like this so I parked it. See below more about the history of the bike.

Issue #2

Handle bars and foot peg vibrations numbing my hands and wrist. Any idea or suggestion on how to alleviate this issue. On my way back from Daytona I could hardly hold on the bars with my right hand. I know part of the issue is me, I am getting to be an old fart full of aches and pain, but I do not get all that numbing from riding my Sportster, maybe is the high frequency vibrations from the parallel twin vs the more low frequency vibrations from the Harley VTwin.

Issue #3

I was hoping I could live with the stock seat, but I will have to make an investment on an aftermarket seat, so which seat ? I think the main issue I am having is the constant slipping forward to the narrow not so comfy part of the stock seat. I wish I could find a seat that would make the riding position more standard flat instead the sport slope position that this bike has. Although my wife was also complaining of the rear pillion on our way back too.

Issue #4

The front brakes make a nagging noise when the breaks are applied. The dealer said that noise is normal because of the style of disk the bike uses and the fact they just had installed fresh new pads. I did not believe them, knowing that noise was not going to go away, but they refused to check the issue. It is more of a rotation noise on the front wheel, more audible when the front breaks are applied. a couple of weeks ego I went to a Harley demo rides event, and out of the 7 bikes that I test rode, one bike had the exact same issue making the same noise on the front wheel. So if a new bike makes the noise, it might be a faulty installation issue.

The history of the bike...

The local Rightnow Dealer had this 2012 NC700X with 26,xxx miles and asking $5K. I offered the dealer $3K cash out the door including all fees, tag and title and after some back and forward they agreed, so at the time I was thinking I was walking out with good deal, and maybe I did, but the bike has its issues and now I am learning of them...

Unfortunately the local RightNow dealer claims that per fire department code, they are not allow to keep any fluids on their new/used bikes so one can not test ride any of the bikes before first paying for them. No other dealer in town operates that way but they do. The sales person told me that I had 10 minutes to go out for a ride and could null the deal if I didn't like the bike, which turned out to be false, they refused to look into the front wheel noise issue, they refused to null the deal and the manager refused to even give me a complaint contact number for me to call. I was treated so bad, I will never buy anything from those people.

Anyways, now am stuck with the bike, so here is a description of the bike...

The bike didn't look like it was abused, but it was no garage queen either, it was definitely well used by its original owner who probably just did the required minimum maintenance but nothing extra. That said, I am not sure that all maintenance was done by the original owner and definitely not much by RightNow either, avoid those people like the plague.

When, I took the bike for my 10 min test ride, when I came back complaining, the head mechanic came out and to talk to me, and he discovered that the chain tension adjuster had been left loose and were becoming undone so he went back and got a wrench to fix the adjusters, that is an indication of how thoroughly their 250 point inspection is.

Anyways when I came home, I never seen such a filthy chain, even the rear wheel was covered in grease, it took a lot of work to clean all that up, but in the end, now that area has develop that a growl which is an indication something is up.

More about my thoughts about the bike and my experience so far...

Conclusion...

Seems like I will be doing a little bit of an investment in parts for this bike and I am looking for suggestions, ideas and recommendations....

What chain, what sprockets, anything different from the original to make the ride smoother and maybe help the vibrations, what place to best buy parts from, what brand of parts, and all that.... etc

What aftermarket seat is best recommended, I have a mustang seat on my Harley and I live by it, firm believer of Mustang, but what else is out there for the NCX, what brand, where to buy, what is a good deal...

Is there anything that I could purchase to help eliminate the vibrations from the steering bars, what parts, what store, etc...

I would also like to purchase a bigger windshield screen, something tall enough that will take the wind off my face and my helmet, what is recommended, what is popular around users here, where to get it, what is a good deal ?

I live check by check, so all my extra expenses are sacrifices that I make, so am always looking for budget conscious alternatives.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Sorry to hear about your issues. For aftermarket parts there are many threads debating opinions on what parts work the best. The end result always seems to be you need to figure out what best fits you. The threads will help you narrow it down though. For helping diagnose your issues, more knowledgeable people will be along soon to help. Good luck

Welcome from Portland OR -

You are going to love this site. It has many expert opinions on just about every one of your questions. I know - I research a lot of them myself after purchasing my NC700. What you are going to need to do is set up some time to explore all the great information this site has to offer. A majority of your questions and requests for recommendations have been discussed in detail - you just need to search a bit. Start with the popular discussions on seats and windscreens - they are full of useful information. Of course, we all have different opinions so you'll have to sort through and decide for yourself. Welcome and good luck!

The oem D.I.D. (o-ring) Chain is probably fine, but if you don't mind paying a few bucks more they make an x-ring version of the same.

As far as the vibrations, putting cartridge emulators (intiminators, in my case) in the forks seems to have helped a bit. I used a set I had gotten for a klr 650, so it's not perfect (may need to get a different sealing ring for them), but it seems to have helped with smaller bumps and a little bit with the big, sharp bumps.

Welcome to the forum. IMO, if you're experiencing vibrations to that degree as well as all these other issues, it's not something I'd attempt to rectify with aftermarket parts. More than likely something needs to be repaired/replaced.

First things are first/obvious... check the tire pressure. If that's fine, the wheels may need to be balanced.

Chain and sprockets can be inspected for damage/excessive wear per the owner's manual. Pretty simple stuff. Make sure the chain is properly lubed as well.

For a seat, I can recommend from my experience and thousands of miles the Seat Concepts is an excellent value. That's what I have and I'd never consider needing anything else. But all I have is the rider, not the pillion. But it's a great seat and great price. Great people/company too... great communication.

Windshield, I recommend the tall V-Stream. That's what I have. Pretty cheap, very big, but still looks nice and works great. Again, I have thousands of miles on mine. It's the last one I'll ever buy.

My NC is farkled for long trips and those mods are what I've used with great success and very low cost.

Ultimately, though, for your situation, you may want to do some research and find a very reputable motorcycle mechanic in your area and pay them to go through the bike and give it a complete once-over, so to speak.

But for the seat and windshield, I suggest seat concepts/V-Stream (tall).

Good luck.

Take the motorcycle to a reputable mechanic ASAP and pay them for an hour or two of their time to go completely through the machine.

The dealer you bought if from knew the bike had issues, that is why there was no real test ride and also why they took more than 40% percent off their (yes, insane) asking price. Sometimes (sadly) you get what you pay for.

Bring it to the mechanic and report back. Good luck and hope it doesn't cost you too much!

Last edited:
Issues 1 and 2 would most likely be solved be installing a new chain and sprocket and the tire being properly aligned. Issue 3 is matter of preference, if you look around on the forum you'll find lots of recommendations. Issue number for could be a warped disc but I would try installing a new set of quality brake pads first and see if that helps. Welcome to the forum I hope you motorcycle improves quickly and on the cheap. I also have a 2012 that I got used, I just went past 50,000 miles the other day. I would recommend a tune up if you are that worried about the maintenance record of the motorcycle. Motor oil fork oil and air filter, those and the chain, sprocket and front brake pads. At least that's what I would do.

Last edited:
Not to derail this thread from actually fixing the bike.........

BUT......Lemon Laws in general only apply to new vehicle purchase, under factory warranty, often only to the original purchaser, depending on the state often do not cover motorcycles, RV, commercial vehicles.

The dealer is question sounds a little sketchy with no test ride......etc
As far as fraud or misrepresentation of a used product.........I would bet the sales agreement says "as is sale".

The good news......The bike was purchased at a bargain price so there is room to do a little reconditioning.

Last edited:
#1. It could be rear wheel bearings. Take the wheel off and inspect them. Balance the rear. When you put the wheel back on, you'll be forced to realign and re-tension the chain, so if it was that, that'll be fixed too. Also inspect the sprockets for wear and the chain for kinking and what not.

#2. Remove the front wheel and balance it. Check the bearings there too. If it's not something mechanically off, check to see that the handlebar weights are in there.

#3. Search for the 'showkey' mod here, which is basically a cheap way to elevate the front of the seat with a few bucks in parts from the hardware store. I have an airhawk, but $600 and a bit of a wait will get you a nice aftermarket seat. (Corbin, Russell Day Long, etc...)

#4. While you have the front wheel off from #2, you will also have access to the brake caliper. Pull the pads, inspect and clean the brake pistons, make sure they aren't sticking.
You might also have to change the brake fluid and bleed the lines.

Not knowing the history of a 26,xxx bike, I would do all of these things day 1 and not ride it until at least the basics are known to be good.

The dealership was probably reluctant to do anything for you because this is basic used motorcycle stuff and par for the course, plus they budged on the price.

#1. It could be rear wheel bearings. Take the wheel off and inspect them. Balance the rear. When you put the wheel back on, you'll be forced to realign and re-tension the chain, so if it was that, that'll be fixed too. Also inspect the sprockets for wear and the chain for kinking and what not.

#2. Remove the front wheel and balance it. Check the bearings there too. If it's not something mechanically off, check to see that the handlebar weights are in there.

#3. Search for the 'showkey' mod here, which is basically a cheap way to elevate the front of the seat with a few bucks in parts from the hardware store. I have an airhawk, but $600 and a bit of a wait will get you a nice aftermarket seat. (Corbin, Russell Day Long, etc...)

#4. While you have the front wheel off from #2, you will also have access to the brake caliper. Pull the pads, inspect and clean the brake pistons, make sure they aren't sticking.
You might also have to change the brake fluid and bleed the lines.

Not knowing the history of a 26,xxx bike, I would do all of these things day 1 and not ride it until at least the basics are known to be good.

The dealership was probably reluctant to do anything for you because this is basic used motorcycle stuff and par for the course, plus they budged on the price.

What he said!
supertux1 has some excellent tips that I highly recommend. We don't have a picture of your bike to go from, but there are two handlebar weights. One inside the handlebar and another one at the end. It could be missing. I recently took them out to install my hand guards and I do experience numbing on my right hand as well and that's from a 30 mile commute. I'll be reinstalling them soon. You might want to try grip puppy as well. It'll be easy and I think it will be effective.

As for seats, I would start doing the "showkey" mod. Just grab some rubber chair tips from walmart and fill it with something like nickels or something that will fit. If this works for you, then later, add the metal thing. If not, then ask around for other NC700X in your area to see if you can try their aftermarket seats.

Seat mod......slope change
As for windshield, I would skip out on anything cheap and go all out on Madstad screen, 22 inch if you are anywhere near six feet tall.

These bikes have a bit of tingle in the handle bars, or foot pegs between 3000 - 4000 RPM in 6th gear. Based on the amount of vibration from your bike, something is wrong in the sprockets/chain, or wheels/balance. Most of the roads are pretty smooth here so probably not a suspension issue.

I'm about 100 miles due south of Daytona, If you're in the area, we can get together and take a look at it.

These bikes have a bit of tingle in the handle bars, or foot pegs between 3000 - 4000 RPM in 6th gear. Based on the amount of vibration from your bike, something is wrong in the sprockets/chain, or wheels/balance. Most of the roads are pretty smooth here so probably not a suspension issue.

I'm about 100 miles due south of Daytona, If you're in the area, we can get together and take a look at it.

Wow that would had been great, but am about 100 miles north west of Daytona :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back