• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oct 8- 11 2015 Horizons Unlimited N.C

I'm registered and I'm camping, though I'm still waiting to get my camping reservation made. It's a long ride from Illinois but I hope to arrive by Thursday afternoon.

I've now made my camping reservation.

The only remaining task is to get there! I'm really looking forward to meeting you all.

Last edited:
I guess you're passing by the Barber Vintage days this year. It is 9th - 11th . HU is 8th - 11th

That is a real shame. I was hoping to make the Barber Vintge Days this year to try out my new Turn 9 member's credentials. Maybe next year. Potosi (Falling Leaf) BMW Rally is also the same weekend. More 1st World problems.

Are the Turn 9 credentials only for the Barber track?

I'm looking forward to fall and all the good riding no matter where it is. Really looking forward to the HU meet (that'll be my big fall trip and main 1st world decision).

I'm looking forward to fall and all the good riding no matter where it is. Really looking forward to the HU meet (that'll be my big fall trip and main 1st world decision).

There is a hospitality suite (food, drinks, and air conditioning) at the Restoration Level of the museum near turn 9 for museum members.

Just realized it, only 6 weeks away, basically. Crap! Guess I need to start working on my route, so I can not follow it.

ride over to Eminence.
US 421 to Frankfort
US 127 to Danville
US 150 to Standford
US 27 to US 70 in Tn.
US70 to US 129
US129 to NC28 (go thru the Dragon) to Deals Gap.
NC28 to Stecoah. Follow the sign to Iron Horse.

Or do what I do and hit the Interstate, hit the Dragon in 4.5 hours after leaving Louisville (at 75mph on the Interstate).

If you have never gone to the Barbara, it is a must! I road my 78 goldwing there for vintage days a few years ago. Have also been there on my NC7 a number of times now.

ride over to Eminence.
US 421 to Frankfort
US 127 to Danville
US 150 to Standford
US 27 to US 70 in Tn.
US70 to US 129
US129 to NC28 (go thru the Dragon) to Deals Gap.
NC28 to Stecoah. Follow the sign to Iron Horse.

Or do what I do and hit the Interstate, hit the Dragon in 4.5 hours after leaving Louisville (at 75mph on the Interstate).

I have one, but will probably ignore it for the most part and take other roads, leaving the final destination in the GPS. Kinda how I do most rides anymore. Besides, 127/150 are just as boring as the interstate anymore...

Do the Dragon. Much better on a weekday. Get your patch or sticker at the end along with obligatory pictures with the tree of shame. When you get to Stecoah, turn left at the diner for the Iron Horse.

I'm not sure how much time you'll have, but a nice half to 3/4 day ride is to take 28 south through Franklin to Highlands. Stop at the waterfalls. Repeat back to Franklin and pick up Wayah road. At the top, take the dirt road up to the fire tower (if you feel adventurous) Continue on Wayah rd to 19, ride along the Nantahala and watch the whitewater rafters. You can lunch there. Then back to 28 to Stecoah or turn up 129 to Robbinsville, lunch there and ride over the mountain to Stecoah. Can't remember that road name. The Trans Eastern Trail crisscrosses this area.

I am trying to pencil this one in on my schedule, planning on camping 7-12 there, still working on getting a reservation at Ironhorse Lodge. My question is, do all the camping NCX riders try to group together at the campground or just end up in separate campsite areas? This would be my first rally event and hoping to meet and fraternize with other NCX'ers there. (Be gentle, I'm new at this.)

I have no idea, my first HU rally as well. I have a bunkhouse reservation. As to fraternization, I talk to anyone, especially if they bring me alcohol or food ;-)

My first one, as well. I don't know the lay out of the campgrounds. Even if you're not right next to each other, there will be eating and riding and tech classes for fraternizing time.

There is camping to the right of the 'main' house and camping behind the 'main' house across the creek (you can ride across a driveway bridge to this camping area-to the left of the main house-same general location as the cabins) and there is a foot bridge across the creek to the 'main' house (lodge).. The two camping areas is approx. 50-60 yards apart. There are 2 bunkhouses (no bathroom), one is across the parking lot from the lodge (about 50 yards from the lodge, next to the camping on this side of the creek). The other bunkhouse is the bottom level of one of their cabins with the laundry room and bathroom in the same building (preferred bunkhouse for everyone who can get it). Both bunkhouses only have 5 beds each. Some people had the beds, but I don't have a problem with them (my home mattress is hard also). If they have hundreds of campers, they may have to designate another area (???).

Back