• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oct 8- 11 2015 Horizons Unlimited N.C

Wish I were going, especially since so many NC's will be there. I've already planned a ride to the Virginia mountains with about 6 of my old riding buddies.

My first one, as well. I don't know the lay out of the campgrounds. Even if you're not right next to each other, there will be eating and riding and tech classes for fraternizing time.

I got my reservation and it looks like it has a designated campsite number. All of the NCX campers with reservations would probably have to contact Iron Horse together and try to get moved to a block of campsites to be adjacent to each other. That sounds too complicated for me, I'll see you all at the bar later!

Ray

Last edited:
I got my reservation and it looks like it has a designated campsite number. All of the NCX campers with reservations would probably have to contact Iron Horse together and try to get moved to a block of campsites to be adjacent to each other. That sounds too complicated for me, I'll see you all at the bar later!

Ray

Hmmm. I've been to this place and the campsites (at least the tent sites) are rather haphazard and certainly not numbered. Other than the dozen or so specific gravel pads, you just prop your tent on the grass wherever within the designated camping area. I'm in that neck of the woods right now and might stop by Iron Horse just to ask how things are going down for this event.

Maybe you asked for an RV site and therefore got a specific site number?

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you there, Ray.

Last edited:
I'm in that neck of the woods right now and might stop by Iron Horse just to ask how things are going down for this event.

Thx, I'm 2700 miles away and never have been there. I reserved a primitive tent site, unit no T18 (campsite?). I still think it would be nice to have all our NCX ponies in the same corral, if possible.

Ray

Last edited:
Thx, I'm 2700 miles away and never have been there. I reserved a primitive tent site. I still think it would be nice to have all our NCX ponies in the same corral, if possible.

Ray

I couldn't agree more. It may behoove us if the person intending to get there the earliest might claim an NC specific camp section. It would be so cool to see our model well represented and grouped in one area.

I'm planning on leaving on the 7th. I can be there late on the 7th or very early on the 8th.
It's only 700 miles
If we have a count, I'll see about clumping us.
Btw- I called them a while back and the lady that answered said you don't need a res for tent camping.

I'm planning on leaving on the 7th. I can be there late on the 7th or very early on the 8th.
It's only 700 miles ��
If we have a count, I'll see about clumping us.
Btw- I called them a while back and the lady that answered said you don't need a res for tent camping.

I wish I was coming.. but I can't this year. Having said that. You can camp anywhere there is an open spot. There ARE a few sites with electrical and maybe water that are extra and reserved. There are camping areas on both sides of the creek that you can choose from. They will rent you towels BTW so you don't HAVE to bring one with you. In the bathrooms they have individual showers with private changing areas. They have shampoo and body wash mounted on the shower wall. They have a hair dryer I believe near the sink area also. You can rent a cooler from them by the day and buy ice from the store. It is a dry county, so if you want beer, you must stop and buy it and bring it with you. Those that are staying in the bunkhouses have a real mattress (sort of) and sheets and blankets, and a pillow. They also get a towel each day included in the bunkhouse cost.
There IS a air compressor near the shower rooms outside, if you need it to blow up your air mattress you need to ask for the adapter from the owner. They keep it with the tire valve connector on it, so people can air up their tires.

There is covered parking for bikes, but at these HU events there are way more bikes than can fit under the two covered areas... so unless you park your bike early in the day when others are out riding it will be sitting out in the elements... so you may want to bring a cover if thats an issue for you. The meeting rooms fill up fast... the earlier you get in there the better seat you will have. It's usually standing room only at the back/sides.

If you have electronics that need to charge up there are outlets, but they are filled up at night with people charging their devices. Best bet it to charge devices on the bike if you can..or bring on of those battery packs that charge your devices. You can plug it in durring the day when everyone is out riding and then use it to charge your devices at night. The cell service sucks there.. Verizon isn't too bad but only 3G. The local wifi fills up quick at night (they have 2 wifi networks) and you'll get bumped off allot. When your on it will be slow.

That's the basics... if you've never been there before it might be helful for you to know all that stuff before you get there.

Make sure you guys post pics when you can! We will all be looking on the forum to see what is going on there.

Enjoy!

I plan on being there on the 7th as well, however I am in a bunk house. I am planning on bringing a 5 port usb charger so anyone who wants to borrow a port let me know early. I will be using 3 of them. The rest can be figured out once there.

What I have learned there from prior camping is that there are lots of areas that do not drain well during monsoons. I was much happier (and dryer) at the last HU on a gravel pad. In fact, a wise old man saw me setting up my tent in a nice comfy grassy spot and he told me it would be a rice patty the next evening. So, I moved it. Also, getting the bikes together won't happen on the camping area as it is too small and the traffic (other than loading / unloading) would not be appreciated by your neighbors. The machinery will prolly need to mingle in the parking area.

I'm in the bunkhouse now.

I can probably lend an outlet or two as well, we've got a cabin room. We'll be coming up from northern GA that morning, not sure what time but will probably be there fairly early. Though maybe I should book my Wednesday night hotel reservations before making too many predictions...

... In fact, a wise old man saw me setting up my tent in a nice comfy grassy spot and he told me it would be a rice patty the next evening. So, I moved it. ...

What a coincidence. The same thing happened to me last year too. That wise old man was even nice enough to suggest the camp site next to his. At first I thought he was crazy trading the soft grass for that rocky pad.... But then it rained.

The Cherohala and Krambonz are on my to do list. And, sadly, I've never been on the Dragon, so that is too (weekday).

My route in/out takes me on the dragon anyway, so I will be happy going both ways. Keeping my fingers crossed there wont be too many leaves.
If you get a chance, ride over to Helen, Ga from US64 at Murphy-great riding roads and beautiful view from top of the mountains.
Actually US129 south to to Choestoe, Ga, then Hwy 348 to Hwy 75 to Helen..

Helen Ga is kind of a tourist trap with Switzerland motive, but great homemade fudge and ice cream shops...

Last edited:
What a coincidence. The same thing happened to me last year too. That wise old man was even nice enough to suggest the camp site next to his. At first I thought he was crazy trading the soft grass for that rocky pad.... But then it rained.

The Cherohala and Krambonz are on my to do list. And, sadly, I've never been on the Dragon, so that is too (weekday).

Mike, are you up for Tuskegee Road again?

Back