• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oct 8- 11 2015 Horizons Unlimited N.C

The only Tuskegee Road I could find was in Alabama. Is it dirt or pavement? I might want to tag along....

Bad curvy pavement through hilly rural land. Look for Upper Tuskeegee Road between Stecoah and Fontana Village. It turns into Yellow Creek Road which runs back into 129 north of Robbinsville. If you haven't had enough fun at that point you can turn off of Yellow Creek onto Old Field Gap Road and then onto Farley Branch Road and then onto Rhymer's Ferry Road which will take you after a bunch of zigs and zags back into Hwy 28 still south of Fontana Village.

There are some traction anomalies (dirt/sand) in some of the turns. Keeps the old ticker pumping.

Mike, are you up for Tuskegee Road again?
Are you kidding? That was the most fun I've had on the bike. I learned a lot just following you. One event for the few of you that weren't there: We came around a curve and there was a truck parked in the opposite lane with a women standing in our lane talking to driver. She has her mail in her hands. Now most people would of slowed down. Not our Beemerphile. He wants the brisket at Krambonz. He speeds up, cuts right, and rides in this little slot between the woman and her mailbox. I followed but I wouldn't of made if the mailbox door was still down.

This time I'm going to do it without falling. :)

Are you kidding? That was the most fun I've had on the bike.

Folks waste too much time up there parading up the Dragon at 20 mph behind a gaggle of Harley riders wearing beach attire and an equal number of Dodge minivans from Florida with stick family decals on the back glass.

Folks waste too much time up there parading up the Dragon at 20 mph behind a gaggle of Harley riders wearing beach attire and an equal number of Dodge minivans from Florida with stick family decals on the back glass.
That's what the Tail of the Dragon is all about? Sounds just like 'doing the loop' at Bike Week. :)

Bike Week at Daytona Raceway except for the Horse Shoe is all left hand turns. As Bubba J. would put it, "Simple to understand when your not sober". For the 11 miles of the Dragon's Tail being sober does not even help!

I did the Dragon in the rain and had it all to myself. Didn't get my picture taken though; they all packed up and left. :(

I went up there yesterday just to get a sandwich and to people watch. I had no interest in riding on the Dragon.

To your point, there are plenty of other Dragon style roads with practically no traffic on them.

Last edited:
I was up there last Monday on my R100RS. It was vacant. The Harley guys must've been reloading their beer cannons...

leah.jpg

leah into leaner.jpg

Last edited:
I was up there yesterday too!! A friend of mine & I rode up from Dahlonega (GA)!! US19 out of Dahlonega, , GA60 through Suches to Morganton & on through to Copperhill, TN!! TN68 to Tellico Plains, , , the Cherohala through to US129 & North to the Gas/Eatery/Junk Store/Harley Hangout/Tree of Shame where we stopped for lunch & a "People Show"!! :cool: After a Burger we rode NC28 through to US74 where my buddy headed North to his Son's place & I stayed on 28 South to Franklin & Home!!

I looked for other NC's & didn't see any!! A guy from Ontario on a Dakar 990 saw my NC with the Shinko 705's & wanted to talk!! He was starved for someone who knew how to "Talk the Talk"!! :)

I may do a day trip while everyone is there for HU & if anyone wants to do some Gravel roads in N. GA. I'll be glad to do a ride here in my neighborhood!!

Alfred
Dahlonega, GA.

I went up there yesterday just to get a sandwich and to people watch. I had no interest in riding on the Dragon.

To your point, there are plenty of other Dragon style roads with practically no traffic on them.

I did the Dragon in the rain and had it all to myself. Didn't get my picture taken though; they all packed up and left. :(

Thank goodness.
When I finally get up there I will ask which ones are there. My last look at videos of the tail I was frustrated watching the rear end of a truck.
The last time up there a hundred years ago we just passed them vehicles. Now it seems you just run up on the next one on the next turn.

Bad curvy pavement through hilly rural land. Look for Upper Tuskeegee Road between Stecoah and Fontana Village. It turns into Yellow Creek Road which runs back into 129 north of Robbinsville. If you haven't had enough fun at that point you can turn off of Yellow Creek onto Old Field Gap Road and then onto Farley Branch Road and then onto Rhymer's Ferry Road which will take you after a bunch of zigs and zags back into Hwy 28 still south of Fontana Village.

There are some traction anomalies (dirt/sand) in some of the turns. Keeps the old ticker pumping.

Next spring...I will try those roads. Got more?

Ok, I'm in. Leaving Tuesday Pgh,Pa back roads thru Pa, WV, and picking up Blue Ridge Parkway at Va northern end to HU. camping on BRP Tuesday night arriving HU Wednesday. Also volunteering at the event. See ya all there.

Well, there'll be one less NC in NC next weekend.
My back injury from a couple years ago has gotten a lot worse in the last month, including pain and clumsiness affecting my legs, so I finally went in for an MRI. Herniated disc. I rode Sunday and it was more comfortable than driving the car, but two hours riding told me that it would be a bad idea to take the bike south next week. I'm still planning on coming down (unless the neurosurgeon has availability for a consult next week) I'll just be passengering the cage.
Hoping I can get this surgery on the road so I'm recovered in time for next year's VA HU meeting.

Sorry to hear of your back problems. Glad you're still going to make the meet.
Looking forward to meeting you and hubby!

I just set up at Ironhorse, and there is space adjacent if any of the campers arriving would like to group together. The site is just across the stream from the pavilion and has adjacent space for others.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Let me know if anyone would like me to try and hold a spot here for them.

Ray

Last edited:
How are you doing for rain?

From my brother at a Hawk rally this weekend;
Finally getting things dried out from the Hawk Rally. Rained the entire weekend, light rain and heavy rain and then monsoon-type rain but constant rain. The TWO owner said it had been raining for days. Creeks and rivers suggested he was right. Only six of the 25+ expected to make the rally showed up. Weather forecast when I checked Thursday afternoon said there was only slight chance of rain in Suches and the weekend looked great!

The Hawk stayed in the truck. Got washed by the rain the whole time.....

Back