• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Planning a RTW trip with a NC750XA

From my armchair experience many world travellers love their heated gear. Aside from Gerbings, Safe and Warm come with positive reviews- they make FirstGear and Powerlet stuff. If you're interested in supporting local Electrowear (black jack) are in Errington B.C.
Aside from the trackers, an option is a personal locator beacon (PLB). These are what pilots etc use. PLBs lack the continous communication ability of a tracker (family & friends can't follow you), but they don't need a subscription plan, so no drain on your budget after the initial purchase.

The bike came with the size and colour when I bought it used. I broke it in a fall and really missed it when I didn't have it so reordered exactly the same size. In the summer I keep it in the lowest position with the top angle towards me for airflow. In the cold I lift it up to block the rain and cool air. I would say they adjustability is the best feature. The weakness would be that it is acrylic. Basically it will crack under impact. If you get a polycarbonate they tend to flex versus cracking. OCR has a good video of this if you search it.

I believe the X model shield has a slightly different shape and mounting bracket. Sharing this more for the 22" size reference.

Tried to find some existing photos from the side and front views. Let me know if you need something else. My camera died on my last holiday so will need to borrow the "boss' " cell phone if you need something more.

227A0759.jpg227A0893.jpg

$0.02 on tracking devices:

Spot gen3 is really good but the subscription is a bit pricey ($149 per year basic). Spot offers one way communication to your contacts. The Delorme offers 2 way texting, and I understand it's satellite constellation is better worldwide. Both offer "search and rescue" including private contractors, which to me is better than "simple" PLBs.

I have the Spot because I'm just in the US and want coverage when I'm in no cell coverage areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bike came with the size and colour when I bought it used. I broke it in a fall and really missed it when I didn't have it so reordered exactly the same size. In the summer I keep it in the lowest position with the top angle towards me for airflow. In the cold I lift it up to block the rain and cool air. I would say they adjustability is the best feature. The weakness would be that it is acrylic. Basically it will crack under impact. If you get a polycarbonate they tend to flex versus cracking. OCR has a good video of this if you search it.

I believe the X model shield has a slightly different shape and mounting bracket. Sharing this more for the 22" size reference.

Tried to find some existing photos from the side and front views. Let me know if you need something else. My camera died on my last holiday so will need to borrow the "boss' " cell phone if you need something more.

Doesn't look as high as I thought it would. Also got pics from madstad today. I'll probably opt for dark grey. Still damn expensive [emoji53]

$0.02 on tracking devices:

Spot gen3 is really good but the subscription is a bit pricey ($149 per year basic). Spot offers one way communication to your contacts. The Delorme offers 2 way texting, and I understand it's satellite constellation is better worldwide. Both offer "search and rescue" including private contractors, which to me is better than "simple" PLBs.

I have the Spot because I'm just in the US and want coverage when I'm in no cell coverage areas.

I was considering Spot more for the phone and data option... for tracking I may have my own option and it costs me around USD3.00 a month [emoji6] and works anywhere in the world (almost)

From my armchair experience many world travellers love their heated gear. Aside from Gerbings, Safe and Warm come with positive reviews- they make FirstGear and Powerlet stuff. If you're interested in supporting local Electrowear (black jack) are in Errington B.C.
Aside from the trackers, an option is a personal locator beacon (PLB). These are what pilots etc use. PLBs lack the continous communication ability of a tracker (family & friends can't follow you), but they don't need a subscription plan, so no drain on your budget after the initial purchase.

Will check Electrowear and the other ones :) Thanks!

Take a bike that you are capable of fixing by yourself in field conditions with your own tools (except for the welding machine, which is relatively easy to come by even in remote areas).

That's the steepest part of the learning curve, but I'll get there. Getting my hands dirty :)

Head on over to the Horizons Unlimited Hubb and check the listings to see if anyone has already posted on taking this trip around the same time.. if not make your own post In their "Travelers seeking Travelers" thread. Even if they are only going part of the way.. having someone experienced to travel with will help you learn a great deal quickly that will be invaluable later in your trip after you go your separate ways.
Having someone who has already made a similar trip (sometimes multiple times) and can speak the language will make your trip much easier. They can also make sure you have everything you will need for your trip (paperwork, gear, etc).
Here is a link to the Horizons Unlimited Travelers seeking Travelers thread:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/

I'll definitely check that thread. Traveling with experienced people would definitely be a plus, although I'm pretty sure that would only be for parts of the trip - possibly changing the co-riders depending on the next destination. I'm also more on the introverted side, and can't usually stand too long people around me before I start finding myself in disagreement - I'm more on the leader side than on the follower one, usually, so if I meet someone with a similar mindset it gets usually harder after some time...

As far as languages are concerned, I have no worries with English, French (mother tongue), Portuguese (fluent), German (I was fluent long time ago) and I can read and understand Spanish pretty well (answering in Portuguese sometimes helps too), I can guess Italian easily also... I still lack Mandarin/Cantonese skills (know the bases) and Hindi/Urlu. And I'll learn what I don't know :)

Thing is, if there's no challenge, I get bored. So, let it be.

Peergum, Spot offers both a sat phone and a Spot Gen 3 tracker. Each of which is for different uses. IMHO the best tracker with two texting is the Delorme.

If you want a good sat phone, then Iridium is hard to beat. Do some google searches for reviews on these items.

Hi Peergum,

Glad to hear that you are planing an RTW trip. I did this in 1992-3 prior to gps etc. kinda the old fashioned way, look at and study a map, put it in the tank bag and head out!! Sure I got lost, lots! But that was the journey....

To be up front with you, I'd never take a bike as large as the NC750x dct on such a trip. For a huge percentage of the trip the last thing you need is HP. I had a BMW R100gs/pd which weighs about the same as the NC!

I'd get a used KLR650 and do all the modifications or something similar. The CB500x would be a good choice if you did the Rally Raid add ons.

Bottom line plan but don't over plan. The trip will unfold as you go and you will become a traveler where time is the independent variable and money will be the dependent. When time is the dependent variable you will never be a traveler. You will be a tourist, huge difference!! Being a traveler is a life changing experience and your learning curve will be vertical!

Enjoy

Hi Peergum,

Glad to hear that you are planing an RTW trip. I did this in 1992-3 prior to gps etc. kinda the old fashioned way, look at and study a map, put it in the tank bag and head out!! Sure I got lost, lots! But that was the journey....

To be up front with you, I'd never take a bike as large as the NC750x dct on such a trip. For a huge percentage of the trip the last thing you need is HP. I had a BMW R100gs/pd which weighs about the same as the NC!

I'd get a used KLR650 and do all the modifications or something similar. The CB500x would be a good choice if you did the Rally Raid add ons.

Bottom line plan but don't over plan. The trip will unfold as you go and you will become a traveler where time is the independent variable and money will be the dependent. When time is the dependent variable you will never be a traveler. You will be a tourist, huge difference!! Being a traveler is a life changing experience and your learning curve will be vertical!

Enjoy

Thanks!

I don't intend to overplan either, but since I have some paperwork to do here in Canada before I really start my trip, I'm taking that time to see what I will need, and that mostly includes more documents.

I've been wondering a lot whether the NC was the bike or not. I know it's damn heavy - my wife dropped it at a stop yesterday while learning on it - but it's also quite stable and might pardon me a few mistakes (don't everyone call it a great first bike anyway?). I might be more at ease with a more off-road bike, but I believe I'll do 80/20 at the most on-road/off-road, so a good on-road bike is probably better (at least for my butt).

Now, I already ended taking my decision about it, and bought the top and side boxes for it and an engine plate. That's already CAD1300 more into it, so a bit too late now to change my mind - unless I find a buyer for it, but I'm totally unconvinced there's a big attraction around for the NC - people don't like the bike because it's not super-powerful, super-sexy, super-specific: it's a do-all-do-it-ok, not a do-one-thing-do-it-superb :)

Anyway, the most important is, I like the bike, she's comfy, she's sweet, she works, and it was love at first sight. Maybe that's the most important reason, after all. And maybe I'll end hating her during the trip, but it's the same as with women. You never know until you try...

My only worry at this point is, I wish I knew some people to go along. Not that I don't like to be lonely, but I would like to share the experience with someone with a similar mindset... I'll probably see what happens when I start the trip...

The best bike is the one you have, no matter what you have. Many people think the BMW1200 GSA is "THE BIKE" for RTW travel, but at $22,000-$30,000 once you get it all set up, that money could likely pay for your entire trip!

The best bike is the one you have, no matter what you have. Many people think the BMW1200 GSA is "THE BIKE" for RTW travel, but at $22,000-$30,000 once you get it all set up, that money could likely pay for your entire trip!

I think thedrop's point was not about a more expensive bike.

This said, I just checked and the KLR650 is just a bit cheaper than the NC, and close to the same weight anyway (just under 200Kg). Obviously the KLR is a better off-road option.

But as you said, the best is to be with the bike you like, and I couldn't agree less. Who knows, I'll be one more to prove the NC a great bike for RTW trips :)

I was not referring to his post, I was addressing the pitfall of spending too much time and energy on bike and gear fixation, and missing the fun of trip.

True. But you still need a minimum to go. I read many times riders saying they should have taken less with them, but I'm pretty sure they speak more of clothes / camping stuff / backup bike parts than just gearbox and basic protection for the bike. What happens if my bike just gets down because a little stone crashed into the radiator or hit the bottom of the engine? I'm quite certain some parts are easier to install beforehand than in the middle of a trip...

The fun of the trip mostly happens if the issues don't hit too early... But maybe the fun of it is also the surprise effect and the ability of the rider to solve things on-the-fly... I'll probably get some duct tape along... ;)

Remember, with the world being so integrated you can usually get what you need along the way. If not the international shipping companies can deliver what you need very quickly. The current reality is not remotely similar to what Ted faced with his Jupiters Travels adventure.

Bottom line, yes, plan and take some basics and once you get the paperwork completed take a step out the front door as a traveler. Turn your mind and heart lose and learn! Your learning curve is about to go vertical! Remember Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, good systems thinking will solve most problems!

It's quite a decision you take there. I wish I could have the guts to do the same. I've taken note of your blog address and i'll follow your travels with great interest.

Kudos to you! and good luck with your endeavour.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's quite a decision you take there. I wish I could have the guts to do the same. I've taken note of your blog address and i'll follow your travels with great interest.

Kudos to you! and good luck with your endeavour.

Cheers!

It is. Lifetime kind of decision... with lots of ramifications too, emotionally, financially, spiritually. I may regret it one day, but I may as well regret not doing it and now is the time. Won't be able to do that when age or serious health issues kick it...

I'll try to keep the blog up to date as much as (technically) possible, and am currently trying to post about the whole preparation process - including buying so much stuff :(

Merci!
Phil

PS: had I started earlier I'd have started going around Canada and the States, including Montreal, but with cold weather coming in soon, I'll probably limit that to US Mid-West instead... Then heading to the heat around end of year/beginning of 2017 - I'm a heat-lover!

It is. Lifetime kind of decision... with lots of ramifications too, emotionally, financially, spiritually. I may regret it one day, but I may as well regret not doing it and now is the time. Won't be able to do that when age or serious health issues kick it...

I think you cannot ever regret a decision like that. You regret only not taking the plunge. You talked, in your original post, that it was a mid-life crisis decision. My own midlife crisis decision was to get my motorcycle drivers licence. LOL! But I have some mid-term projects of my own, like driving down the Us West Coast, motorcycling in Italy or France some day or, for a start, discovering my own country! I'm just waiting for the kids to be old enough to take care of themselves so I can hop on my bike with my wife for longer journeys.

had I started earlier I'd have started going around Canada and the States, including Montreal, but with cold weather coming in soon, I'll probably limit that to US Mid-West instead... Then heading to the heat around end of year/beginning of 2017 - I'm a heat-lover!

Well, i'll keep posted on your travel and if you ever come around Montreal, i'll try and hookup.

Bonne chance et bravo pour cet incroyable projet!
Pascal

Back