• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question About Honda Tall Screen Mods

shawnk

Reaction score
Visit site
A little backround first- I read all the threads on this screen I could find multiple times before buying. I'm approx. 5'6" and the bike has 1.2" risers on it. I thought with my height this screen would work great for me, but after 300 miles or so I find I like it less every time I ride. It starts at 40 mph and gets worse progressively above that- wind noise/turbulence. It feels like you're riding on an extremely windy day, and above 60 it actually feels like the front end is less stable- kind of like catching turbulence behind a semi truck. I like the way the screen looks, and the amount of coverage vs. airflow, but I've got to do something about the turbulence issue. I plan on adding a deflector eventually, but was thinking of trying the hole drilling mod first. (Before I make this thing non- re sellable) Has anyone drilled the holes without a deflector installed, and did it make some difference?

Yes- some people call it the Honda Tall screen, others the Honda Touring screen. The clamp on spoiler is something I am planning to try, but I was going to try the holes first. In that thread, it seemed like the ones who had tried it already had the aftermarket spoiler installed. I was kind of curious to see if anyone had tried the holes alone, and whether it had any affect by itself.

Not to sound sarcastic, but have you tried ear plugs? I won't ride without them now. No longer do I feel fatigued after a long highway ride, or even cruising around town.

Other mods: CalSci medium Shield, SHOEI GT-AIR Helmet.

I'm 5'7" and I found the medium shield to work great, airflow hits the top of my forehead for good helmet ventilation. I didn't try the Honda Tall/touring shield as I thought it wouldn't do me much good. I've read from people the best shields are the ones you barely look over. I found this to be true.

Having spent a lot of time (not to mention money) on this issue, these are my conclusions. You need to start off with a screen height that suits your 'height in the saddle' (the CalSci table is a good guide), and it probably doesn't matter whether this is achieved with the right one-piece screen or screen-plus-extension (taller folks will probably need a two-piece). The next most important thing is to get some air flowing behind the screen - either by cutting/drilling a vent in the screen or by introducing a gap between screen and fairing. My experience is that these two steps account for at least 80% of the total available improvement in screen comfort/protection/efficiency. If that doesn't do the trick, adding an inner dash panel that squeezes/accelerates the air flow behind the screen (like the MadStad set up) delivers a smaller but noticeable improvement. Last and definitely least on my list is rake-angle adjustment - either of the whole screen or an MRA-style foil attached to the top. I'm 5' 9" tall with 31" inseam and my 'fix' is Givi screen, Palmer adjustable brackets, and home-made dash panel as shown below. What you don't see is a set of 'hondabikepro' Dale's nut plates, which I think are essential.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zps52969165.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/011_zps96d430ae.jpg

Having spent a lot of time (not to mention money) on this issue, these are my conclusions. You need to start off with a screen height that suits your 'height in the saddle' (the CalSci table is a good guide), and it probably doesn't matter whether this is achieved with the right one-piece screen or screen-plus-extension (taller folks will probably need a two-piece). The next most important thing is to get some air flowing behind the screen - either by cutting/drilling a vent in the screen or by introducing a gap between screen and fairing. My experience is that these two steps account for at least 80% of the total available improvement in screen comfort/protection/efficiency. If that doesn't do the trick, adding an inner dash panel that squeezes/accelerates the air flow behind the screen (like the MadStad set up) delivers a smaller but noticeable improvement. Last and definitely least on my list is rake-angle adjustment - either of the whole screen or an MRA-style foil attached to the top. I'm 5' 9" tall with 31" inseam and my 'fix' is Givi screen, Palmer adjustable brackets, and home-made dash panel as shown below. What you don't see is a set of 'hondabikepro' Dale's nut plates, which I think are essential.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zps52969165.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/011_zps96d430ae.jpg
Thanks for that- and reading all the various threads on windshields,and looking at the manufacturer recommendations, I figured the Honda screen was approx. the "correct" height for me at 18.5". It seems like a proper height- sitting on the bike it appears to me to be around my mouth area (I notice the top if I look for it, but I can see well over it otherwise). That's why I had it in mind to try drilling first, because I figured at 5'6" I shouldn't need the extra height that a deflector could give me. I need to double check everything using the Calsci yardstick method...maybe the risers have me sitting up to where the air would be hitting me at a weird angle or something?

Back