• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rain gear

I just bought the Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket & Overpants. I plan to ride all through the winter. And the rain if necessary. This suit had some good ratings and was the cheaper of the two I was looking at. I really wanted the Olympia AST 2.

That's the exact jacket/pants combo for spring and fall. They have worked well for me in the past 4 seasons or so. the stretch panels at the inside of the elbow is getting a bit stretched out and starts to lose its water-proofing ability. But after 5 years, I think it's about time to find replacements (I felt I've got my money's worth).

I just picked up a Tourmaster Centurion for cold/rainy weather. I hope it serves me well. I have used it a few times for my early cold morning commutes to work and am impressed so far.

That's the exact jacket/pants combo for spring and fall. They have worked well for me in the past 4 seasons or so. the stretch panels at the inside of the elbow is getting a bit stretched out and starts to lose its water-proofing ability. But after 5 years, I think it's about time to find replacements (I felt I've got my money's worth).

Thanks for the info. I will be very happy if it makes it four years. By the way, I am originally from Everett, Wash. I retired from the Army and went to work for Caterpillar in Arkansas. I miss the Northwest.

I am looking at the Kilimanjaro and the Katmandu. You guyIs have any recommendations? I was in twisted throttle yesterday and apparently I have a tall order for a jacket. He showed me the Macna Geo 2, but I wasn't a huge fan based on all 20 zippers and 3 liners, it felt like a bit much.

I am looking for rainproof that will get me from about 70 deg to 50-40 deg.

I am looking at the Kilimanjaro and the Katmandu. You guyIs have any recommendations? I was in twisted throttle yesterday and apparently I have a tall order for a jacket. He showed me the Macna Geo 2, but I wasn't a huge fan based on all 20 zippers and 3 liners, it felt like a bit much.

I am looking for rainproof that will get me from about 70 deg to 50-40 deg.

I was looking at both the Kilimanjaro and the Katmandu. They are priced about the same so I went with the Katmandu for two reason. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Katmandu has a rain hood that can be pulled from the collar which the Kilimanjaro does not. The Katmandu also has a built in hydration bladder which I thought would come in handy for longer rides. I think they are both of a different standard of denier too but I don't know enough about the materials to know the difference.

I was looking at both the Kilimanjaro and the Katmandu. They are priced about the same so I went with the Katmandu for two reason. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Katmandu has a rain hood that can be pulled from the collar which the Kilimanjaro does not. The Katmandu also has a built in hydration bladder which I thought would come in handy for longer rides. I think they are both of a different standard of denier too but I don't know enough about the materials to know the difference.

They both have the rain hood I am 99% sure, big difference I noted was the bladder, and the front vents, I feel the Kilimanjaro front vents might pull in more air? I also felt the Kilimanjaro was a denser weave so maybe more rugged? But my uncle swears by his Katmandu. So I think this is a tossup on personal preference. He seems okay riding in 70 deg weather with vents open, but has not really tested to see how cold it goes. Also due to what I suspected was user error he got soaked when riding in the rain, but I suspect a vent was left open or the collar not tightened.

I just snagged the HT overpants and liner and they keep you bone dry and with vents open 80 deg is not uncomfortable with pants, and I figure longer rides just wear shorts under, and they are bone dry in heavy rain. I've heard from experience they will get you down to 40F with the liners

My rain gear in incorporated into my motoport riding gear. It breathes and I never get wet. It is on my body at all times, never have to stop to put on rain suit. Mine is over 5 years old now, and the motoport riding gear is something I would not leave home without. Besides protecting me from the rain, it also kept me from getting a single scratch in my Alaska accident where I separated my shoulder. The motoport Kevlar gloves kept my hands from any scratches also. I broke a finger but not a scratch.6.jpg

Reviews: Motoport v Aerostich - ADVrider

smileyRain.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:

They are both very similar with the same material. I think the Kilimanjaro might be a bit better in warm weather with the front and the back vents. The Kathmandu's back vent is one large horizontal vent across the lower back. I do like the Kathmandu's various size pockets to keep things organized. I keep the garage door opener in the chest pocket. Just the right size and prevents it from moving around. I can hit the button from outside the jacket.

EDIT: The Kathmandu jacket I have is 5 seasons old. My comparison of a 5 year old jacket to a newer jacket is obviously not valid any more. The new model has been updated with improvements.

The water bladder on the back of Kathmandu is a cool concept but on a long ride in a hot day, the water gets heated up. Nothing like warm water to quench your thirst. LOL

Last edited:
Both sets of my Frogg Toggs leaked. My Tourmaster jacket leaks too. I'm still
searching for WATERPROOF rain gear. Apparently, my definition of "waterproof"
and that of these manufacturers differs just a little. I've also thought about buying
a good PVC suit, and try to figure a way to vent the water vapor from my
skin.

Both sets of my Frogg Toggs leaked. My Tourmaster jacket leaks too. I'm still
searching for WATERPROOF rain gear. Apparently, my definition of "waterproof"
and that of these manufacturers differs just a little. I've also thought about buying
a good PVC suit, and try to figure a way to vent the water vapor from my
skin.

You would not be disappointed in this suit or the price. A very good value I've had the recent opportunity to test and review. Thunder Under Two Piece Motorcycle Rain Suit RS5000 - Motorcycle Rain Gear - Jafrum

I got my Kathmandu jacket & Overpants last night. It is much thicker than I expected but will work out great for the winters in Arkansas. First full suit I have owned of this quailty. The verdict is still out but I'll be putting it to the test all winter long. My first impression is it will perform exactly as I need it to. I plan to wear it at the first sight of a rainy day.

My rain gear in incorporated into my motoport riding gear. It breathes and I never get wet. It is on my body at all times, never have to stop to put on rain suit. Mine is over 5 years old now, and the motoport riding gear is something I would not leave home without. Besides protecting me from the rain, it also kept me from getting a single scratch in my Alaska accident where I separated my shoulder. The motoport Kevlar gloves kept my hands from any scratches also. I broke a finger but not a scratch.

Reviews: Motoport v Aerostich - ADVrider

I'll have to look into this to see if it is a possibility

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I just went back to Cycle gear and they swapped out my pants. The guy even recommended a size bigger to be easier on the seems. They are keeping me dry again.

Gigs

Last edited:
I have fieldshear pants that kept me dry for the past 3 years. they finally failed me yesterday and in the crotch area. made for a interesting morning. I've been through hour plus downpours, hail and snow in these and they kept me dry and warm. I have a feeling it's the seams. I always carry emergency rain pants in the bag that I will use over my pants in the next rains since they are still good. there must be some way to seal the seams. I am waiting on a Olympia ast2 jacket to arrive to replace my current jacket that failed me the same day. Was not a good day for my rain gear.

I keep a Tour Master Defender 2 piece rain suit rolled up in a 3L stuff sack in the Frunk. I have had this suit for about 5 years and 3 bikes now. It works pretty well but will leak a bit in huge downpour. If I was looking for a new suit or if I win the Lottery I would get one of these:

REV'IT! Pacific H2O Rain Suit - RevZilla

I like the idea of a one piece suit - easy on and off.

Last edited:
I love riding in the rain. Rain gear is built into my motoport riding gear. So, I don't stop to put on nothing. Just Ride!0.jpg

SmileyNews.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back