• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Renewed appreciation for DCT

MichaelJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I took an hour-long test ride on a BMW S1000XR which I posted about in the Non NC700 section. It's a 160 horsepower monster that I have been lusting after for several months. Aside from the obvious power difference it rode a lot like the NC with similar size, weight and geometry. It was, of course, a manual shift bike though it had a quick shifter which worked in both directions. It was fun being on a manual bike again as the old reflexes came back quickly. So much so that today on the NC I found myself reaching for the clutch a few times and I even had a brief moment of panic when coming to a stop thinking that the bike was going to stall. The quick shifter was cool and they are becoming available on more bikes as most riders seem to love them. However I must say that compared to a DCT it seemed unrefined. Maybe I would have gotten better at it with more use but it was kind of harsh and clunky. It made me really appreciate the smoothness of a twin clutch. In fact, though I enjoyed shifting the XR, the DCT is more fun, at least for me. I have become completely spoiled by finger shifting, or not shifting at all depending on my mood. I often think about how effortless it is to take off at a traffic light. Some would say that finessiing a clutch is part of the joy of motorcycling and I get that but I also enjoy not finessing a clutch. Lord knows I've paid my dues with hundreds of thousands of manual shift miles on both cars and bikes. I just wish that there were more choices for DCT bikes. Maybe if quick shifters get more popular (and I'm sure that they will as manufacturers all scramble to keep up with each other) we'll see more acceptance for DCTs since that seems like a logical progression. As it is I will certainly be test riding the Africa Twin when it arrives since Honda is the only DCT game in town right now. I may never own another manual bike, I like the DCT that much.

Last edited:
and new generation of DCT on the new honda is claimed to be even smoother and better than ever... i hope there is more competition and DCT is made even better !

My guess is that most who object to the DCT do so because it's different than a normal clutch model. I have a DCT bike and learned to ride it for its own great qualities and forget about what I do on a bike with a clutch lever. :)

Your DCT appreciation is strong.

I witnessed what the S1000XR can do as performed by Chris "Teach" McNeil
He did more stunts at the Georgia Mountain Rally, Hiawassee GA.
Also led a short dual sport group ride to nearby FS roads.
Great guy in person and good teach skills.

I found myself fearing the XR;
one test ride and she'll have me at first rev of the throttle.

I rented the S1000XR last week in Phoenix, as confirmed, it's a monster.
did a 200 mile loop in the mountains to the northeast of phoenix. great bike, very stable, verrrrry responsive
the quick shift feature works o.k. as prev stated by OP, kinda clunky.

we hit wind gusts to 50mph, swirling from all directions, it was a hairy ride, at one point we his a 10 mile patch of fresh oil, with those winds, luckily it was a straight desert section of road. none the less a good test of my skills/nerves

I kept reaching with my left thumb to downshift going into corners. the DCT makes that so easy, personally I think it becomes the single most valuable aspect of the DCT, the ease/speed of the downshift

I did not test the ABS.......forgot to

The XR is another level/$$/league of a bike.

However guys, did you miss something else than the DCT of the NC qualities while riding the mighty XR?

Totally agree with you. After 30 years of riding and 10's of thousands of miles shifting my carpal tunneled hand to death, I don't miss slipping the clutch off the line at all. I love just twisting and taking off. I would have the 1000c Crosstour if they sold it here in the US, but I am very happy with the 700X and it does prevent me from riding like a maniac. I know Honda has a foot shifter that works like the paddle shifters but it looks pretty expensive and there is a lot of labor to put it on. I think the paddle shifters are fine though.

Totally agree with you. After 30 years of riding and 10's of thousands of miles shifting my carpal tunneled hand to death, I don't miss slipping the clutch off the line at all. I love just twisting and taking off. I would have the 1000c Crosstour if they sold it here in the US, but I am very happy with the 700X and it does prevent me from riding like a maniac. I know Honda has a foot shifter that works like the paddle shifters but it looks pretty expensive and there is a lot of labor to put it on. I think the paddle shifters are fine though.
The Crosstourer is coming here in a few weeks. I sat on one at Daytona last March.

I too am liking the DCT on my new-to-me 2013 NC.
Not yet used to the clunking and clicking if the DCT. Have no refernce point to "normal."
Changed the oil when I brought it home. Curious if you-all have an opinion on the quietest-shifting oil?
I out in Rotella T synthetic, because that's what I had and it's JASO MA rated. I'm aware that it has a record of harming cat converters.
Please: no oil thread! Just an oil that works so that the DCT is as smooth/quiet as Honda intended--if possible?
TIS, gents and ladies...

Not yet used to the clunking and clicking if the DCT. Have no reference point to "normal."

My DCT clunking noises seem to have either quieted down or I don't notice them anymore (approx 9K miles). I actually think is makes NO more noise that my wife's FZ-07.

But I think the real difference is: with a clutch bike, you make it clunk (with a toe lift) so you expect it to happen. with a DCT, especially when you are new to it, it just happens...so you are not exactly expecting it.

I really think that's more of what produces the perception of clunking gears in the transmission.

after all it is a six-speed transmission with spur gears only difference is 2 clutches and a brain/solenoid to do the pedal lift.

it would be interesting to take some measurements of the perceived noise level when the bike is new and after certain periods of use.

I had not heard that the Crosstour is coming. Very cool. I will still wait until I've got some good use out of the NC700. Just bought it new in December and my wife would divorce me if I traded it in for a huge loss so I could get an even more expensive bike.

I don't recommend using the synthetic oil. I'm pretty sure Honda designed the Transmission to work with Honda oil. I don't know for sure, but the synthetic oil may affect the DCT's performance. I've had my bike for 6 months and the shifting has become noticeably smoother. I only use the Honda motorcycle oil

Glad you mentioned that about the oil as mine goes in tomorrow for its 600 service and they are intending to use Motul semi synthetic. I have,, with previous NC's (two) insisted that they use top spec fully synth oil after the 600 service, but I have gone with the Honda dealer's recommendation this time.
By the way the clunkiness is noticeably reduced on the 2016 bike - not that I hear anything as I wear earplugs.
Mike

I have Cubital tunnel syndrome, also known as ulnar tunnel syndrome or ulnar nerve entrapment, is the second most common nerve entrapment after carpal tunnel syndrome. It occurs when the ulnar nerve, which travels from the shoulder, down the arm and into the hand, is compressed while traveling through the cubital tunnel, a small space within the elbow. The ligament that surrounds the ulnar nerve can thicken, compressing the nerve and causing pain, tingling, or numbness in the arm and certain fingers

So, my new motorcycle will have DCT........................................ Relief is just a DCT away!

I don't recommend using the synthetic oil. I'm pretty sure Honda designed the Transmission to work with Honda oil. I don't know for sure, but the synthetic oil may affect the DCT's performance. I've had my bike for 6 months and the shifting has become noticeably smoother. I only use the Honda motorcycle oil
For what it's worth I have only used Honda branded synthetic oil in my NC700Xs. The DCT is now at 11,500 miles. I use Honda HP4S 10w30 because I can and I want to. If it affects the DCT operation I haven't noticed. I'm not a oil elitist - my ST1300 has run Rotella synthetic 5w40 for about 70,000 of it's 160,000 miles and Rotella dino 15w40 for much of the rest. I stay with Honda HPS4 in the 700 because the NC engine was designed to be very efficient and a 10w30 oil (at operating temps) is slightly more economical than a 10w40 will be. Since I want a 10w30 and it is practically impossible to find a 10w30 oil that is JASO rated for wet clutches then I choose the Honda synthetic but I'm sure the GN4 is just as good.

Back