• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What could the problem be ??

jayceegee

Reaction score
Visit site
At 1400 miles my NC700x right fork seal started to leak. I took it to the Honda shop and was informed that it may not be covered under warranty due to it being considered a normal wear part. Huh ?? At 1400 miles ?? So they called the local Honda rep guy and ended up putting in a new fork seal for me, paid by Honda. The bike went into the shop with 1800 miles on it because of waiting appointment time. SO, no after 300 miles and less than 2 weeks the same fork seal is leaking again, right side only. I went back to the dealer today and was told that they will have to call the Honda rep tomorrow and see if they will cover it again. They asked me what I was doing with the bike and if I was doing wheelies. I politely told them all I was doing was riding it on the interstate and local city roads. Bike has never seen dirt, no pot holes and I am 65 years old and ride like a Grandmother.
He said that I would get a call tomorrow (how many times have I been told that). He did mention that the bike may end up having to get a new fork. I hope the hell Honda covers that. Anyone know or think they know or want to take a SWAG at what the problem could be ?? (SWAG = Scientific wild *** guess) Thanks for your time.

A few SWAG's come to mind.

1) The fork tube has a scratch in it and indeed needs to be changed.
2) The tech damaged the new seal on installation.
3) I hope they aren't this stupid, but someone brought me a leaker with new seals once and it turned out the seals were installed upside down.

Beemerphile's SWAGs are right on, but let's add one more.

4) The dealer never actually changed the seal, or they changed the seal in the other fork leg.

As mentioned, could be a burr or scratch on the fork, or the seal installed upside down or both. I have heard and know some guys that will use a piece of emery cloth and sun it around the fork before putting in a new seal if it has been leaking. Often a small MFG. burr eventually etches the seal.

Much like the stone through the radiator topic a while ago, there *are* some things that you have to realize may not be covered under that blanket of warranty claims.

Getting scratches or a rock ding, or pitting in a fork stanchion is just something you have to live with knowing it may never happen, it might happen once or twice in 20 years, it might happen three times in a row in a week.

Sometimes the damage is nearly impossible to see. These wouldn't be Honda's fault, nor should they be a warranty thing.

If there was a defective seal, or the fork wasn't machined properly etc., well then, ya, but even then, it can be a bit of a fight unless it's blatantly obvious, or the dealer is willing/able to step up for you.

One cheap trick to check for burrs is to slide a pair of panty hose up and down the forks. They'll snag on things that you may not be able to feel with your fingers.

Ha ha. An NC700 doing wheelies...smh..your dealer is an idiot.
Hey now the NC700X can do a wheelie really lol, but seriously there is a vid of a guy on YouTube pulling a couple of weak wheelies. I bet I if you put your feet on the rear pegs you could

Back