• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What did you do to/with your other motorcycle/scooter/trike today?

The CB1100 is one I would really like to try. Other than more power, how would you compare it to the NC?
The CB 1100 came in several iterations, a 4 into 1, 5 speed, with mags, a 4 into 1, 6 speed with mags, a 4 into 2, 6 speed with mags and a 4 into 2, 6 speed with spokes. Mine is a 4 into 2, 6 speed with mags called the Deluxe.

80euUP3.jpg

As far as a comparison, of course the CB is wider with its 4-cylinder mill, longer, and heavier by 50 to 75 pounds depending on version, and the seat height is shorter at 30.5". It does have about 85 horsepower as compared to the NC's 54 and I believe 65 ft lbs of torque starting at about 2500 rpms compared to the NC's 51 ft lbs. It's faster and smoother than the NC and pulls like a freight train (very similar to an NC on steroids). It really doesn't care what gear you are in it just pulls. I normally ride in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range on the backroads and 3500 rpm range on the freeway (actually very similar to how I ride the NC). Once you reach 4000 rpms the scenery starts going by very fast. My 6 speed turns 2500 rpms @ 55 in 6th and 3500 rpms @ 75 in 6th. It brakes better than an NC with its triple discs. It handles as well as the NC but you can feel the heft in side to side transitions, but generally it handles very well. It feels very planted and confidence inspiring to ride. The clutch pull is easy and the transmission shifts typical Honda ie: very smoothly. I get about 55 mpg as compared to 75 mpg on my NC. I put 8500 miles on my 2013 CB 1100 single pipe 5 speed before trading it in on the upgraded 2014 CB 1100 DLX dual pipe 6 speed which I have put 68,000 miles on. Knock on wood never a mechanical issue. It's just a great bike.

The CB got poo poo'd by a lot of riders for it's relatively high weight and it's lack of horsepower for an 1100cc 4 cyl bike. The '83 Honda CB 1100 had 108 hp and a top speed of 139, whereas the 2010-2019 CB 1100s only had 85 hp and were electronically limited to 112 mph. Many felt the modern version should have AT LEAST the same numbers as the version that Honda built 35 years ago, and with today's tech COULD have come in under 500 pounds. None of that mattered to those of us that bought them though, with many CB1100 forum members saying this is the best motorcycle they have ever owned. I love mine.

For me however, where the NC shines, is how it carries its weight. It feels infinitely lighter than the CB especially when hand backing it out of my garage, and when putting it on the centerstand. Also the NC's gas mileage is phenomenal for a bike with a 750cc motor. The frunk is kind of handy too, and of course the DCT transmission is brilliant.

I'm not a racer, just a daily rider and lightweight tourer, now that I am in my 70's, my wife has quit touring/riding with me, and I no longer own an ST 1300 or FJR 1300. For me the CB and the NC are both awesome motorcycles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great feedback. The best I have ever got is 68mpg on my NC (hand calculated after a day ride). I think the range limits on the CB would limit it for me, although everything else seems like something I would enjoy.

I’m leaning heavily towards a ST1300 as my next bike. For the type of riding I enjoy, I think it would be just the ticket. The only issue I see would be the weight, with my small garage, I have to shuffle the NC around quite a bit, that would be a bear with the ST.

Before I move away from the NC, I am going to try a Madstad for the wind buffeting (worst part of the NC for me). If I like those results I may not change anything.

The range on my CB Deluxe is roughly the range on my NC...200-225 miles. However the CB holds a gallon more. The range on the "standards" I am told is about 185 miles. I rode my CB on two out of state trips this year, to Rhode Island and to North Dakota and never had an issue with range anxiety. I have also ridden it to North Carolina, and Arkansas.

The range on my ST was about 300 miles @ 45 mpg, but then again it held 7.7 gallons lol...and it weighed 717 pounds... a heavy beast, but what a great bike! I once joked that it was a whale, but a killer whale once it got rolling in the curves.

iky2tM9h.jpg

The problem, with the ST 1300 is unless you pick up a police model, the newest model is 10 years old as they quit making them for the public in 2012. It's also lacking in modern amenities. In it's entire run Honda never saw fit to update it.

The FJR does the same job as the ST 1300, and if you get a 2016 and up, you get 6 speed trans, slipper clutch, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, traction control, nearly a 100 pound drop in weight (630 pounds) and an extra 25 horsepower to boot. Another great bike.

oGGxVh8h.jpg

the Ferret. How things change. When the Cb1100 was introduced I was still a hardcore sport bike guy, although my body was starting to tell me those days were numbered. But I still didn’t want a Cb1100 type bike at that time.

Now I see the Cb1100 as just the type of bike I would now love to own. Hardly surprising I feel that way, seeing as I owned a Cb900f for 27 years, because it was such a great bike. To my regret, I sold it on a whim.

As soon as I have some morning coffee, I’m taking a ride on the 250 dual sport to find some covered bridges in Indiana.

399BB100-B869-4CFD-93A9-1EF332066799.jpeg

Now you go riding in Indiana for covered bridges...There is one over at Medora, there is one in Jennings county-southwest of Vernon.
I’m in the Brown County area. I did find two covered bridges today. One was cute and even had a cute name, the Bean Blossom Bridge. The bridge is served on one side by a one lane, gravel, steep forest road.

7BEFC70D-A318-4CC3-AA27-C73DF56676E9.jpeg

6D1D3B32-1423-4EEF-BFDC-8AE1932850EF.jpeg

Last edited:
I am pulling the forks out of my Strom for an oil change. I am moving to a lighter 2.5W oil from the standard 5w. From the getgo they have been overdamped even with the compression and rebound damping turned back to the stops. Hopefully this will change things a little at least.

Now you go riding in Indiana for covered bridges...There is one over at Medora, there is one in Jennings county-southwest of Vernon.
I found the Medora bridge you mentioned. It’s big. I also visited the two covered bridges in Jennings county. They were both about 140 years old and still open for traffic.

ED4D4597-2394-4811-AC2B-9209AFFAC07C.jpeg

FB193EC4-FD78-4C97-B48A-09D82A2B2087.jpeg

Last edited:
I put the cb1100 preload adjusters on my 2021. They fit quite easily. It doesn’t take much finger pressure to screw them in. I went for a ride. At the lowest preload setting I could feel that the bouncy springy feeling at lower speeds was still there, but greatly reduced. I tried experimenting with half turns in upto 2 full turns. The minimal preload setting for me was the best ride. Two full turns in was too harsh.

It was worth installing the adjusters, but there is still much to do to improve the front fork. This bike has a number of positives, but I’m beginning to feel the front suspension is a major negative. I can say if I’d known the bike had such rubbish suspension I would never have bought it. You shouldn’t have to buy any new bike, no matter how cheap, and have to fork out money to make it ride properly.

I don't have an issue with the suspension. Stock still ony 2013 with 65,000 miles. But then, I drive a Prius or a 1997 F250 HD. The Honda's suspension is smoother then either of those 2. I don't ride off-road, or single trail. My gravel road can be bumpy, but I know where the pot holes are....

You shouldn’t have to buy any new bike, no matter how cheap, and have to fork out money to make it ride properly.

Lol I'm on 4 different motorcycle forums and I'd say suspension mods rank right behind windshields and seat mods. ( the 3 things the japanese have never figured out)

• Haha
Reactions: MZ5
Lol I'm on 4 different motorcycle forums and I'd say suspension mods rank right behind windshields and seat mods. ( the 3 things the japanese have never figured out)

It certainly seems that way today. On the other hand the roads where I live are by Canadian standards not bad, but by the standards of say North Carolina, where I’ve ridden a lot, they’re rubbish. I guess I’ve been spoilt over the past 20 years riding sport bikes with more adjustable, and better quality suspension.

It does seem to me though that manufacturers since emission laws came in are commonly selling new bikes with unsorted FI, and riders have come to accept that they have to fix that problem. It seems that suspension has gone the same way.

I don’t recall magazines years ago testing bikes with poor suspension, saying, ”it’s budget suspension because the bikes cheap.” I don’t think a $9000 bike is cheap. I have no complaints about the suspension on my daughters Cbr300. It gives a better ride than my Nc. How can that be? it’s a bike with “cheap” suspension.

Ah, the sun is shining! I’m off for a ride on my 27 year old vfr750 with its compliant, stock, suspension. :)

I don't have an issue with the suspension. Stock still ony 2013 with 65,000 miles. But then, I drive a Prius or a 1997 F250 HD. The Honda's suspension is smoother then either of those 2. I don't ride off-road, or single trail. My gravel road can be bumpy, but I know where the pot holes are....
I used to think the same thing until my stock damper burst and I had to buy a new suspension. I will never say "this is good enough" again. It wasn't. I only had about 48k on the clock at the time, maybe it gets better with more mileage? ;)

Tested my Strom after a fork service with a drop in oil weight to 2.5 and some WP grease applied to the seals. Significant improvement noted with the same settings as before. I might be able to live with them now without further adjustment.

I washed the old '89 NX. It has been on full on weekly duty for the past three months while the X-Adv was off the road, so it got very grubby as it had been out in the wet several times. However after yesterdays quick wash it still comes up surprisingly clean. Just noticed I missed a couple of spots :rolleyes:

P1080344.JPG

P1080343.JPG

I washed the old '89 NX. It has been on full on weekly duty for the past three months while the X-Adv was off the road, so it got very grubby as it had been out in the wet several times. However after yesterdays quick wash it still comes up surprisingly clean. Just noticed I missed a couple of spots :rolleyes:

View attachment 50606

View attachment 50605
Your NX sure looks nice. The fuel petcock caught my eye. I haven’t seen one in awhile. I realized I no longer have gravity flow fuel systems on any of my bikes.

Your NX sure looks nice. The fuel petcock caught my eye. I haven’t seen one in awhile. I realized I no longer have gravity flow fuel systems on any of my bikes.

Thanks. Tbh it is a lovely bike apart from its looks. It is a hoot to ride on a twisty road, and I became very used to its charms over the past three months. Forgive that old cliche when I say that "they don't make them like that any more". Also, big 650 singles are close to being a thing of the past nowadays and that is a pity. The quality of the parts, nuts and bolts etc is superior to my other two Hondas. Anyway I feel priveleged to own and ride it. My dilemma is the balancing act of trying to keep it as pristine as possible though, while still enjoying using it.

That petcock keeps me honest. I tend to forget it occasionally but the float valve in the carb is still good so no leaks to date.

Back