• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you recommend?

bri222

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a second bike. The NC is all have. I know I bought the right bike but need one to go with it. I've been looking at some used FJR's (new is to much) or maybe new Versys (found some good deals on 2012 and 13's). Should I go with more power then the NC or is 700 range good enough? I prefer the adventure or sport touring. I intend to keep my NC (it's my first and only bike) as well as my next bike till they go no more. What do you have and what do recommend?

Depends what riding you like. For my second bike, I would go with a DR650/CRF250 type. Unlimited funds for a third bike with a dealer close by would probably be a KTM 1290 for the insane moments.

Well what exactly are you looking for in another bike that the NC doesn't deliver? Lots of choices if you want to go the Sport-Touring Route. I of course would recommend the FJR but my opinion is biased. Kawi Concours, Honda ST1300 (as mentioned above), Triumph Trophy, BMW 1200RT just to name a few. You mention adventure bikes also but that's a big step away from Sport-Touring. What are you looking to do with the second bike?

I like the NC, which is the only riding I've done. I can't see spending more then 10 for a motorcycle. Are bigger bikes like the FJR and ST1300 that much more fun to ride then the NC?

I like the NC, which is the only riding I've done. I can't see spending more then 10 for a motorcycle. Are bigger bikes like the FJR and ST1300 that much more fun to ride then the NC?

It depends on what you consider fun. The FJR is definitely faster and has a few more "accouterments" like the electric adjustable windshield, full fairing, included hard luggage, more info on the instrument display, dual headlights, adjustable handlebars and seat etc. That said, the NC can be every bit as "fun" and has plenty of pep for its engine size. More engine displacement does not necessarily equate to more fun though. I've had bigger bikes than the FJR and they weren't as much fun IMO. The bike that was the most fun for me was my Blackbird CBR1100XX but that fun would most likely have made me lose my license or get killed because it was so ridiculously fast.

3.jpg

I bought "steak" when I got my NC700, I don't need to go out for hamburgers!

SmileyFunnyFace.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I'll second the recommendation of a CRF250L. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. That's what I have and I hope to get an NC700X in the spring. So we'd be, like, opposites. Or the same. Or something.

When I get another bike it will be a CBR. I'll keep the NC to commute to work and ride the CBR on the weekends. Its all about preference. Everyone will have a different opinion.

Buy a Honda Grom. Seriously. It wont break the bank and you'll have a blast.

images.jpeg

If that doesn't do it, go to the other extreme and buy a Goldwing GL1800. Whatever you do, don't buy anything remotely close to the NC700X. Go for diversity and variety.

Look at my 4 bike avatar. (Yes, I know it's kinda small). Mine range from 49cc to 1832cc, from dirt to superslab, from single cylinder to six cylinder, from CVT, to chain, to shaft drive. Variety keeps it interesting.

Greg

Last edited:
I enjoy borrowing my son's VTZ250 for a fun change of pace. And I'd like to have the new 110cc Cross Cub.

If I needed/wanted something bigger than the NC, I would have bought something bigger than the NC to begin with. Something smaller is its own kind of fun....and the NC will feel so much bigger when you get back on it.

I have a need for another bike for two up touring with my Wife. For that we have a Triumph 1200 Explorer. It is an excellent bike for the purpose. Most so-called big traillies are really good all rounders. They will not have the excellent fuel consumption of the NC but two up comfort is unequalled unless you get a GL or the like. There are a number to select fom. Most notable are the Versys 1000, Super Tenere as mentioned above, BMW GS, Honda Crosstourer in Europe and KTM 1190.

Go a little exotic and grab a Multistrada. I considered a used 620 when buying my NCX. They don't make the 620 anymore just the 1200. Beautiful bike.

Gigs

What do you have and what do recommend?

Hi,

I'd recommend waiting for a good while yet before choosing a second bike, especially if you want them both to be long term keepers.

Of course, that's the exact opposite of what I did myself... :rolleyes:

In my case I went the other way and bought a smaller CBR500R to share the shed with the NC700SA. They're both rated at the same HP, but the 700 has 40% more max torque. The 500 is lighter, easier to manoeuvre at low speeds, and (dare I say it?...) more fun to ride - especially on shorter local trips. But there's so much variation in riders' height, weight, experience, riding style and general preferences that it's almost impossible to pick what would suit somebody else.

Have fun with the choice though. :)

Hi,

I'd recommend waiting for a good while yet before choosing a second bike, especially if you want them both to be long term keepers.

Of course, that's the exact opposite of what I did myself... :rolleyes:

In my case I went the other way and bought a smaller CBR500R to share the shed with the NC700SA. They're both rated at the same HP, but the 700 has 40% more max torque. The 500 is lighter, easier to manoeuvre at low speeds, and (dare I say it?...) more fun to ride - especially on shorter local trips. But there's so much variation in riders' height, weight, experience, riding style and general preferences that it's almost impossible to pick what would suit somebody else.

Have fun with the choice though. :)

6.jpg

Now that is great advise: "I'd recommend waiting for a good while yet before choosing a second bike, especially if you want them both to be long term keepers.

If you got what you really want, and it fulfills the need you want it for, why on earth would you even want something else?

That is the first question any good sales person should have asked you. "What are you going to do with your bike?" Define the need! Then the sales person should use his knowledge about the products to try to help the customer fulfill that need that "fits" the need with the product that fits that customer and his needs.. That is what great sales men do, fulfill their customer's needs.

SmileyOneEyeTounge.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Just for the heck of it, decide whether you want your second ride to be faster and lighter than ur NC7X and meant for performance or just cruising or whatever. I am of the mindset that buying a 185 mph sport bike, while living in Ohio, is a waste of good hard cash. Where the heck are you going to open her up ? If you go another route, such as a classic triumph or V7 special Guzzi, you have the best of both eras. Both easy to ride and both are so charismatic in their own way. And ! you only pay about 40 to 50% the cost of the Mega dual sport.

Last edited:
Back