• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What GPS do you use ?

I use a TomTom Rider 2 and a Garmin 660. TomTom works ok and has gotten me around the country with only a few hiccups, but the Garmin out performs it. Not a good comparison though because the Garmin is newer technology.

I've used a Garmin NUVI 550 for one year but don't use it so much because some practicals options are missing on this one, more basic.

4.jpg

I use my Iphone with Tom Tom and Google Maps. The Tom Tom app must be used when in Canada and Mexico, otherwise one big cell phone bill.

smileyiphone.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Galaxy s4 with quadlock case. Onrux maps for tracks andere navigon for point tot point.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I have been using Zumo 550's since they were introduced. I still have the original unit that I purchased and my Wife has a later one. They are now obsolete but fortunately I had purchased the lifetime mapping so Garmin have to keep them up to date on software as part of the contract.

Since I seem to be addicted to electronics, I've set up a few different options for the bike, all using Ram mounts.
For dedicated GPS I have a Garmin, but L don't really use it any more. I've pretty much switched over to the Apple and Android options for navigation. Most of the time I use an iPhone 5s with the Co-Pilot gps app, but I've also set up a Nexxus 7 tablet using the android version of Co-Pilot. Both also have Google Maps loaded, but the Co-Pilot works off of maps downloaded into the device's internal memory so it still works in areas without cellular connections. I also have the phone and tablet paired to a Sena Bluetooth headset, so I get turn by turn audio in my helmet speakers. For waterproofing, I just carry zip Lock bags in the frunk and slide it over the device if it rains.
Having said that, I think the Garmin Zumo systems are the most elegant solution, but since I had the phone and tablet already, they were a lot less expensive.

Bob

I have a Garmin 276c which has been great for DS rides. I will go to the Garmin Zumo 660 soon. Considered by many as the best motorcycle GPS on the market. The 665 has more features if you are in need of them. Cathy uses a Zumo 220 which has been a good unit since you can down load routes, has trackback and it is touch screen. But for some reason they got a lot more expensive since we bought it.

Don't you have to be in cell range for I-phone to work?

That depends, from what I've seen. If I stick with the standard map view (without any satellite imagery) the iPhone using Apple Maps keeps a LOT of area in memory, even if there's no cell signal for quite awhile. It is a GPS as well as a cell phone, after all. If I try to use either of the satellite views, that changes without a cellular connection, and I wind up with a dot on a black screen - not the most useful tool in the world, then.

Despite the hoo-rah awhile back, Apple Maps has (almost) always worked well for me. However, it definitely does NOT like Arizona County Road 5020 between Snowflake, AZ and Concho, AZ.

That depends, from what I've seen. If I stick with the standard map view (without any satellite imagery) the iPhone using Apple Maps keeps a LOT of area in memory, even if there's no cell signal for quite awhile. It is a GPS as well as a cell phone, after all. If I try to use either of the satellite views, that changes without a cellular connection, and I wind up with a dot on a black screen - not the most useful tool in the world, then.

Despite the hoo-rah awhile back, Apple Maps has (almost) always worked well for me. However, it definitely does NOT like Arizona County Road 5020 between Snowflake, AZ and Concho, AZ.

Spacetech mentioned it in an earlier post and I have done the same. I use an app on my Android that downloads offline maps. I don't need cellular reception. I'm sure the iPhone has such an app at it disposal. Doesn't it?

There are several GPS apps available for Apple IOS that use downloaded maps. The same is true for Android. They don't need a cellular connection or live data to work. In the case of the Co-Pilot app IIRC it uses about 1.4 gig of memory to store all maps and Points of Interest for the Continental USA. They also have maps available for Canada, Europe, etc. To me the big advantage of the Apple and Android apps is that you can use the phone or tablet's bluetooth connection to stream turn by turn audio instructions to a bluetooth helmet headset, and it works just like an automotive navigation system. You can load the phone/tablet with music files and listen to them through a bluetooth headset and the navigation app will mute the music and announce the turn by turn instruction, then go back to the music. About the only dedicated GPS I know of that has this feature are the Garmin Zumo models which are a lot more expensive than the Apple/Android stuff.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Last edited:
^^^ What Spaceteach said. ^^^ Plus, I can send and receive calls - assuming I've got a cellular connection where I am, and the music in my helmet speakers pauses for the phone call.

I've tried some of the dedicated GPS apps on my iPhone, but wound up sticking with Apple Maps. It comes free with the phone, after all, and doesn't require Gig(s) of extra space for maps of places where I'm not at right then. By the time I run out of the simple GPS style map stored in Apple Maps, I've (so far, at least) regained my cell connection and it's already updated my map with a new area.

I ended up purchasing a TomTom Rider 2 since I couldn't afford the Garmin Zumo, So far its working out great. Not too much of a hastle learning the software and its nice that it will calculate a twisty route instead of the shortest time/distance route if you put in a destination.

Back