• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What GPS do you use ?

I tried all kind of GPS devices on my motorcycles, including the high end Zumo 660LM and 350LM, but my favorite is still an old Tomtom Rider hardwired to the bike. It powers straight up following the ignition without any useless warning you need to acknowledge, plus the "motorcycle twisty road" route planning is a great bonus.

Most of the time I use an iPhone 5s with the Co-Pilot gps app, but I've also set up a Nexxus 7 tablet using the android version of Co-Pilot.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm thinking about getting RAM adapter for my nexus 7, how do you find the nexus 7 in the sunlight?

Thanks
Rob

I use an ipod touch 4th gen with the tomtom car kit and preloaded maps. The car kit is a cradle with built in gps chip that holds the device and power/charges at the same time. The draw back to this old set up is that the device has to be 12v powered to operate. Also i can not up load maps with this tomtom application. I can listen to music and have turn by turn voice commands. New features allow me to send information for my location but I would need a wifi hot spot to do that. I use the USA/canada preloaded maps for navigation and the find services and it is very accurate. What I use my GPS system for the most is after wandering around I can put in a city or motel and find my way when i have tired myself out and I just want to get there or home. I also enjoy knowing the curves of the road ahead plus the speed limit warnings are a nice reminder to heed the local customs.

The newest Tomtom car kit cradle for iphone does not have the gps chip built in since the iphone has that. And if i understand correctly the iphone can operate on battery power but would drain quickly. So a power supply is needed anyway. Also it would be nice to be able to receive phone calls if a carrier signal is available. The advantage to preloaded maps is not having to rely on a cell tower nearby for sending data regarding
your location.
I have not owned a dedicated GPS and uploading maps sounds interesting.

I use an iPhone 5, and the Apple Maps app, only because I can request directions to things via Siri (voice) from my bluetooth kit in my helmet. Since it is a cell phone, it would be useless (expensive) outside the US, but I have unlimited data. Continuous use drains my batter in about 4 hours, but I have a solar charger :)

It was used mostly as an 'amplifier' for better reception. Starting with iPhone 3G they always had GPS chip.

I think the iPhone 4/4S has an assisted gps chip in it. It's not as accurate as what would be in a garmin/tomtom. Not that it isn't accurate enough for most of us in our travels... just saying.

I got a really good deal on a Garmin Montana 600t (camo!), with CNNA, 100K/24K NA topo's, and Canadian topo's on it. Just wired it in with the honda sub harness and got the garmin rugged mount and a ram mount. We'll see how it works out. It's a sweet gps for sure, but it lacks the BT. It's a bit quirky to use so far (on the car mount for testing going back and forth to work) but it's better than not having it. I didn't want to have my iPhone on a mount on my bike, and I really *hate* getting calls on my bike. With a busy job and three kids, my bike and my throne are about my only sanctuaries.

Anyone here plan on buying the Garmin 590L? Looks pretty nice but damn if garmin isn't a little arrogant with a $799 price.

I use the Sun over the shoulder. Can't focus closeup without glasses, can't see far off with glasses.

Besides, they get all kinds of cornfused when you're spinning donuts :p

I use the Sun over the shoulder. Can't focus closeup without glasses, can't see far off with glasses.

Besides, they get all kinds of cornfused when you're spinning donuts :p
I used to be able to tell direction from sun, but it seems to be moving around more now. Must be that Global Warming stuff moving the sun. ;(

I have a Garmin 660LM on the NCX!!

I have a Garmin Montana 650 on my CRF250L which would work great on the NCX!!

Don't have a good reason why I bought one for each, , , other than I didn't know about the Montana when I bought the NCX!! :)

The Montana is better for Adventure riding stuff but I've got City Navigator loaded on it!!

The answer from me though is I've got the 660LM on the NCX!!

image.jpg

Stand alone GPS's are a thing of the past. I use my Iphone 5 with the Garmin app then use a Sena SMH10 to bluetooth navigation instructions into my helmet. The Phone is in a Nuud Liferproof case and mounted to the bike using a lifeproof mount. With Siri enabled you can command her to open and close garmin, play music, make phone calls etc. The phone can also record video of that favorite road ride.

Stand alone GPS's are a thing of the past. I use my Iphone 5 with the Garmin app then use a Sena SMH10 to bluetooth navigation instructions into my helmet. The Phone is in a Nuud Liferproof case and mounted to the bike using a lifeproof mount. With Siri enabled you can command her to open and close garmin, play music, make phone calls etc. The phone can also record video of that favorite road ride.
I'm intrigued. Does the app allow building routes via waypoints then saving them for later use or transferring to another device?

Perhaps, but there are a few reasons I don't like using them. I like to have my phone on me, not connected to my bike. Not sure about the 5, but I know my iPhone 4 (trying to get 4 years out of it), if I leave it out in the sun long enough it says something about being overheated and it needs to shutdown. The features on a standalone do seem more robust in most ways but truth be told some of us might not us those features enough to justify it.

Probably just my aversion to seeing my damn phone all the time. I'm a sysadmin, so I'm fairly tethered to my phone every time I'm NOT on my bike, its nice to not see it for a bit. I'll probably change my tune when I pick up an iphone6 later this year.

I think the iPhone 4/4S has an assisted gps chip in it. It's not as accurate as what would be in a garmin/tomtom. Not that it isn't accurate enough for most of us in our travels... just saying.

I got a really good deal on a Garmin Montana 600t (camo!), with CNNA, 100K/24K NA topo's, and Canadian topo's on it. Just wired it in with the honda sub harness and got the garmin rugged mount and a ram mount. We'll see how it works out. It's a sweet gps for sure, but it lacks the BT. It's a bit quirky to use so far (on the car mount for testing going back and forth to work) but it's better than not having it. I didn't want to have my iPhone on a mount on my bike, and I really *hate* getting calls on my bike. With a busy job and three kids, my bike and my throne are about my only sanctuaries.

Anyone here plan on buying the Garmin 590L? Looks pretty nice but damn if garmin isn't a little arrogant with a $799 price.

I would love to try the Garmin 590LM, but the price point drives it to the bottom of my list of farkles. But the custom routs and twisties option would def be welcome, plus the TPMS option could be handy. If I'm not mistaken it's the same software that BMW GPS has.

Just did 260 miles to my parents house to do some turkey hunting and used iPhone 5S and SMH10. Phone plugged into the frunk and enjoyed music, directions (took back roads that I don't take in the truck) and was able to answer when mom called to check in. Really can't complain. I use the MotionX drive app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm intrigued. Does the app allow building routes via waypoints then saving them for later use or transferring to another device?

Yes the Garmin app works the same as the stand alone GPS's. I never transfer to another device, I just use the phone when navigating in the car, bike, boat (Navionics app) and snowmachine. You can save trips on the Garmin using the trip planner icon and see your entire route, accept it then save it to bring up later. Has the added benefit of always up to date POI and can use the Google search to find stuff. It also has a tip computer that shows direction, miles traveled, speed, max speed, stopped time, moving average, moving time, overall average and total time.

TomTom also makes an app as well.

Last edited:
Not sure about the 5, but I know my iPhone 4 (trying to get 4 years out of it), if I leave it out in the sun long enough it says something about being overheated and it needs to shutdown.

Probably just my aversion to seeing my damn phone all the time. I'm a sysadmin, so I'm fairly tethered to my phone every time I'm NOT on my bike, its nice to not see it for a bit. I'll probably change my tune when I pick up an iphone6 later this year.

I have put my iphone on the car dash and had the overheat issue but never on the bike. I've use the 4, 4S and 5 now on the bike for many miles and never had an issue. I do use a white Lifeproof case so maybe that helps.

When I connect my phone to the bike it becomes my GPS and with the Sena I can easily ignore incoming calls. I also think of it as a safety item in case I need to make an emergency call.

My main concern with this concept is that if you use your phone for all these different functions, the day may come (hopefully NOT) when you actually NEED to use it AS A PHONE in a potential life or death situation, and guess what, your battery is almost dead. And now maybe so are you or someone else. Give me the stand alone any day.
Just Sayin'

I have a Nuvi 765T that I got a few years back when they came out and it's ok I guess-no fault of the device, but I just suck at really interacting with it, or utilizing it to any great degree. I get frustrated trying to punch in addresses and have the thing mistake my fingers for giant mallets that press every letter except the one I want, and I'm not clever enough to tweak it to get me better off road detail and stuff I'd enjoy, like I vaguely hear others can do with not too much difficulty.

It's fairly large screen is at my limit for minimum size in order to see anything, I can't deal with the little postage stamp sized screen jobbies, even with reading/bifold glasses. It's not moisture resistant, so it goes in a cover most of the time, and while that keeps it dry, it makes it even suckier to see or deal with. I can't abide pulling over in the rain to take a glove off, undo the cover, gingerly take out the GPS avoiding splashing, fumble with it, put it back, and try and put on glove over wet hand. Auuugh! lol So I just continue riding lost, and wonder why I bothered bringing it in the first place.:rolleyes:

I do always carry paper maps and a compass for my most often used recon method. :eek:

I'm unwilling (so far...famous last words heh heh) to buy an expensive fancier more suitable model or updated map packages for this one, so it's also hopelessly outdated for a lot of the local new confusing road work that has bloomed over the past few years.

Don't have a smart phone and there isn't a desire to get one and all the associated strings and costs that involves, despite how cool they seem to be.

Last edited:
Back