• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What GPS do you use ?

2brnut2b

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used a Garmin NUVI 550 for one year but don't use it so much because some practicals options are missing on this one, more basic. I'm thinking about selling this one and buy a Garmin 62SC. And you, what do you use and are you satisfied with it ?
NUVI 550
nuvi550_lrg.jpg
GARMIN 62SC
garmin_gpsmap62.jpg

I'm about to pick up a zumo from a friend of mine. he has upgraded, so I'm getting it for about half price. (yay)
I have been using a nuvi, it ticks me off sometimes. lol.
I will post again when I get it all set up and working.

I prefer Garmin. I tried a TomTom recently and did not like it. Personal preference or I was just to used to Garmin to make the change and didn't give the TomTom a chance.

In my jeep I use a Nuvi 2557LMT. I could easily buy a mount to swap it to the bike if needed.

Bright 5" dual-orientation display
Detailed maps of North America, with free lifetime map updates
Free lifetime traffic
Voice-activated navigation and Bluetooth compatible
Garmin Real Directions™ with Garmin Real Voice™
Active Lane Guidance with voice prompts
photoReal and Bird’s Eye junction views
Compatible with iPhone® and Android™ Smartphone Link

On the bike I use my Samsung Galaxy S4. Works great for what I need. I've recently downloaded a couple apps with offline maps which was talked about in another thread.

For Geocaching/trails I have a GSMAP62. I rarely use it but if I get somewhere I don't have a good cellular signal I break it out. The GSMAP62SC looks to be a good improvement over the model I have and they have included a camera. Who'd a thought? I don't see how you could go wrong with that. Are you planning to use this on your bike or on the trail. The screens on the 62's are kind of small.

Thanks SergeantChuck, I also prefer Garmin over Tomtom. I'm gonna use the 62sc with the bike but I don't worry about the size of the screen, I used a Garmin Legend HCX a couple years ago and it was ok (lost it somewhere in a trail).

Garmin Nuvi 500. Bought it a few years ago at a discounted price with Lifetime Maps including all of North America. Has not failed me yet and it is waterproof (used it many times in heavy rain).

+1 on Garmin. I'm used to their mapping software and use my Zumo 660 to navigate specific routes that I create on the computer. The 660 is weatherproof, ez to use with gloves and has MP3 and bluetooth features. I can send navigation voice promps or music wirelessly to my helmet. A large screen is a must for me.

Nuvi 550 with Life time maps ... only problem the new 2014 North America does not fit in memory... Use it on 5 -10 rides a year and now have the Ram lockable mounts .... Had on Wing now going to see how it works on the NC on the ADA Bike ride next Sat. Has to be waterproof, as I have wiped out a 2720 even with plastic bag covering. What features is it missing other than voice guidance... which I would not hear on bike anyway.

+1 on Garmin. I'm used to their mapping software and use my Zumo 660 to navigate specific routes that I create on the computer. The 660 is weatherproof, ez to use with gloves and has MP3 and bluetooth features. I can send navigation voice promps or music wirelessly to my helmet. A large screen is a must for me.

Garmin Zumo 660 here too. Zumo 550 before that. I concur with Searsboy on the need for the larger screen which is why I switched from the 550 and also the AD2P bluetooth support for MP3 stereo, phone and voice prompts into the helmet which the 550 did not have.

I run a 660 and a 550 Garmin, and a delorme pn60, have Ben in places that the delorme had better detail. And carry butler maps. Dale

Last edited:
+1 on the Garmin 660. Had it for a few years now and it never misses a beat in any conditions. Well worth the $$$.

Still using Garmin 500/550 on the motorcycle and boat. Use big 7" Garmin 2797LMT in other vehicles.

Garmin nuvi 400.usually carry it as a just in case back up,most of the time I use my weather radar map on phone or maps.

Zumo 550. It's lead me all over the country. I never load routes from the computer before a trip. I enter towns I want to go to/through and use paper maps. I still like paper maps.
Mike

Nokia Windows Phone with the included Nokia 'Here' app. Downloadable state by state maps so it works offline and the detail with forest service roads is surprisingly good. Auto reroute, voice prompts over Bluetooth, routes avoiding Interstates. Not bad for free. I also carry paper maps and scraps of paper with notes.

I've got the Garmin Montana on my wish list. Is popular with the off-road crowd around here. Then I can upload tracks.

Back