• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After trying to control the longing for my NC, finally I had the chance to ride her again. I was away for 6 days in a remote island for work. It's not that being on that island is bad, not at all. It's an oil field operation accommodation facility, so people there is expected to focus on the work and everything else is well taken care of. I'd say it's like a 5 stars resort... :) Well... Only the internet speed is pretty slow.

I guess I still have that "honey-moon" mood with her, although it's already more than 2 months with her now. Getting back riding her again, it really felt gooooood... :D

I'll be darned. I thought I'd posted this earlier in the week. I made 10k miles! Still have a couple months to go until its anniversary.

IMG-20130930-00247.jpg

IMG-20130930-00248.jpg

The wife was at the Homecoming parade and since there was no way I could make it in time I decided to take the long way home. Took off down some back roads I have never been on. Got chased by several country dogs but saw a few things along my route I thought I would share.

First was a place called Marlsgate Plantation. I initially pulled over because there was a nice little grassy noel right by the waters edge. I assumed it was someone's very nice house on the lake. When you look toward the building there is a large covered area for what would look to be wedding receptions and there were a ton of chairs set up outside. Looked like there was a wedding in the works. Did some research and found out this a old plantation that host tours and special events.

Marlsgate Plantation - Home Page

20131004_160112.jpg

20131004_160315.jpg

20131004_160129.jpg

Marlsgate_0003_10.jpg

Then was and old building with a sign that said "Stecks Farm". Did some research and found this. Carl Stecks was a tireless farmer, perfectionist, devoted husband, father of three, traveler, self-taught from the eighth grade. He was born Nov. 25, 1914, to Carl Gustave and Minnie Bock Stecks in Stuttgart. He was the son of early Arkansas settlers who introduced rice farming to the communities of Almyra and Crocketts Bluff. He attended the Prairie Dell School, a one-room school north of Al-myra and a three mile walk from the family farm. In 1932, the Stecks family moved their machinery and livestock to a farm be-tween Lonoke and Scott.

I also found an article by another gentleman who spotted this building in the middle of nowhere. Meandering through the Delta (again) | Weekly Grist for the Eyes and Mind

20131004_161028.jpg

Some of the roads were pretty messed up in this area but the NCX did great. Lots of uneven surface and pot holes. Nice having a bike that cane handle this type of terrain easily.

20131004_160615.jpg

Last stop along my route was a cemetery. I have always found them interesting. Some people are bothered by them but I like looking around and investigating.

20131004_162822.jpg

That was my ride home from work today. a little 50 mile extra detour but I'm glad I took it.

Last edited:
Awesome post Chuck and I learned something. Only 14 miles from Little Rock and I've never heard of it. Amazing! :D

I took a short ride this morning to a nearby state park before the rains came. I was trying out my newly installed MRA VARIO screen. Tried several positions of the wing, but still too much buffeting and sometimes worse than stock. When the skies finally clear, I'll go for a longer ride and try every adjustment I can. Might have to position the whole thing in the upper mounting holes in the brackets . It's just got to be better than the stock screen. Have my hopes up.

Angeles Crest Highway

The club that I occasionally find the time to ride with does an annual multi-day Angeles Crest/Big Bear ride that I never seem to be able to do since it always ends up being my wife's birthday weekend. But I got a hall pass today to do the Angeles Crest portion. We had 20 bikes with 28 riders/passengers. Left home at 7:30AM and got back at 9:30PM, logging just over 400 miles. Most of the group spent Friday night at a hotel at the Cajon Pass, and I arrived just in time this morning to top off the tank and start the fun part of the ride at 9am. The loop with the club was 220 miles ending back at the hotel where I topped off again with 2.625 gallons for 83.8 MPG.

There were lots of rocks on the roadway, often just after rounding a blind corner.
DSCN3805.jpg
DSCN3811.jpg
DSCN4095.jpg
DSCN4096.jpg
DSCN4097.jpg

On the ridge line half way between my right mirror and the radio towers is the white dome of the Mount Wilson Observatory.
You could actually park not far from the observatory, but this was the closest place I could park and get both the bike and observatory in the same photo.
IMG_0496.jpg

Obligatory San Andreas Fault photo. This is the safest place to be when 'the big one' happens... if everything west of the fault sinks into the Pacific ocean you just step to the east and enjoy the new ocean front view... if everything east of the fault sinks into the Atlantic ocean then you can step to the west and enjoy a slightly different ocean front view! ;)
IMG_0500.jpg

Wow!

So many nice photos and posts to read... it will take me ages to catch up with everything... but it's well worth it!

On the last photo (San Andreas)... something is missing... I know... TREVOR!
(had a lot of time recently to play GTA V) :cool:

Took a nice 115 mile ride.stoped at Simon kenton grave.he was a frontiersman in Ohio.and a friend of Daniel boone

sent from my nc700x

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381603681742.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381603681742.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 109
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381603692263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381603692263.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 103
I took a ride along the Fox River this morning. (Sadly, in NE Illinois, following a river is the only way to find a road with curves.) The odo turned over 3000 miles half way through the ride. Not bad, since I just got the NCX in March and it's my first motorcycle.

I also checked the FedEx web site, and was happy to learn that my Honda side cases and mounting hardware have been shipped. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about cutting the bodywork. I'd appreciate some advice on that job. I've been poking around the forum looking for info (mainly FAQ's and searches), but haven't found anything on the cutting step yet.

Anyway, the plan is

NCX + side cases = a lot more miles next year

Last edited:
Used her as a pack mule today. I headed down to the big city to pick up my new home audio system.
It was a 180 mile round trip. The box/stereo traveled well, even at interstate speeds, with the two
straps holdin' it down tightly.

Can't wait to hear it. My old Kenwood (4 components stacked on top of each other, in the fake wood
cabinet with the big clear glass door & 2 big bulky speakers) was a 200W system and would shake the walls pretty good. This
new one is about 1/4 the size and cranks out 700 watts!

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Last edited:
I know this isn't a home audio system critique site, but I would like to give my 2 cents worth on the table top stereo system I purchased today.
I was all geeked about the 700 watts advertised for this system. I don't think the root-mean-square system of calculating wattage has changed,
but this system did not deliver the power I was expecting. I can crank it up to max volume, and it doesn't even drive my cats out of the room.
-That should tell ya something. The skimpy wires coming out of the speaker boxes, were the first tip that this might not be what I was expecting.

If it weren't for the dedicated subwoofer, this wouldn't be that big a step up from the Harmon Kardon speakers that were hooked up to my laptop. The sub woof is the only thing making this system something for me to appreciate.

The frequency response on the higher end seems to be lacking too. The system sells for $200, so I guess I shouldn't be too taken back by the results.

I hope ABC Warehouse accepts (quick) returns without much hassle. Me want more powa! Me want shake paint off walls! (on occasion) :)

Last edited:
Took a nice 115 mile ride.stoped at Simon kenton grave.he was a frontiersman in Ohio.and a friend of Daniel boone

sent from my nc700x

Thanks for the picture. Simon Kenton became a favorite of mine after reading Allan Eckert's The Frontiersmen. In it he has a great story of how Kenton saved Boone's life. And a questionable one of him nearly killing Andrew Jackson in a fight on October 31, 1779. It is on my list of places to visit.

The urbana area has some nice roads i found on the way there.i really enjoyed my ride today.the nc can take the twisties and the straight roads,i Learned today how well rounded it is.love it.

Took at last minute ride today. Wife decided to take a nap with the 4 & 6yr old. I did not want to so why not go for a ride.
It was going to be a combination of a geocaching / exploration trip. All of these locations had geocaches which is why I chose the route.

The first stop was the Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery.

Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery is a historic cemetery located near Cabot in northern Lonoke County, Arkansas and is the site of Confederate military camp where 1,500 Confederate soldiers died during an epidemic during the fall of 1862.

Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

20131013_151203.jpg

20131013_151642.jpg

The next stop was the Old Austin Cemetery. This is a town that almost disappeared off the map and has come back to life over the years.

Old Austin (Lonoke County) - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

20131013_153815.jpg

My final stop was at "Russ (aka Old Austin Black) (African American) Cemetery". I had to do some research on this one because it was not marked. The sign on the fence only stated a Methodist church owned the property. The best information I could find was from an old article about a clean-up effort.

THE ARKANSAS LEADER: TOP STORY >> ?Lost? cemetery rediscovered

20131013_160506.jpg

I walked around the cemetery and there were lots of very old head stones. Most had date ending in the 1915 time frame. Some may have went up to 1950. There were two headstones in particular that spurred my curiosity. One of them was engraved with "The International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor". More info at the link.

International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20131013_160743.jpg

A few others said "Faithful Member of Mt. Calvary Circle No. 270". I could not find any details on what that was. I imagine it was a Church.

20131013_160905.jpg

I hope I have not offended anyone with any of the information. I thought it was very interesting.

We have spent alot of times in older ones doing genealogy .i find them interesting.the one i was at Saturday was very big and old.

sent from my nc700x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back