• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left her in the warm garage while I shoveled 6 inches of wet snow outside.

She wont go anyway because there is no front brake hose at the moment (long frustrating story).

Left her in the warm garage while I shoveled 6 inches of wet snow outside.

She wont go anyway because there is no front brake hose at the moment (long frustrating story).

I have family in Illinois. Heard you guys got hit pretty hard.

I had to work today so took my normal drive in although my bike is looking pretty dirty. A lot of road spray lately from all the ice we got. I should be writing she got a bath.

I rode about 3 miles to the local printer cartridge refill shop (whose name I can't remember to save my life - good thing I know where it is without having to look it up every 3 - 4 weeks...). I took the scenic route home. When I got back (4 hours and about 226 miles later), I replaced my printer cartridge and picked up where I had left off.

Darn expensive printer cartridges! Always running out in the middle of print jobs and forcing me to go on absolutely necessary bike rides.

20K? What schedule do you follow?

the owner's manual, and I do realize that the owner's/service manual says every 4000 miles. Lately I've been doing it every 2000. No reason except that it makes me feel like I'm taking good care. I will probably go back to every 4000 miles when convenient.

the owner's manual, and I do realize that the owner's/service manual says every 4000 miles. Lately I've been doing it every 2000. No reason except that it makes me feel like I'm taking good care. I will probably go back to every 4000 miles when convenient.

The NC700X owner's manual says to change engine oil every 8000 miles, not 4000 miles. Don't take this as criticism, and to each his own, but doing it every 2000 miles is simply draining and recycling perfectly good oil. If an owner wants to over maintain their vehicle, there's no harm in that, but I notice they tend to focus on the easy maintenance, like engine oil, and sometimes ignore other maintenance items. If they change their oil at only 1/4 the mileage, do they also change their air filter and brake fluid at 1/4 the mileage (for the NC700X, that would be every 3000 miles!)? Probably not. In fact, I'd bet that some people who change the engine oil every 3000 miles on their car have never bothered to change the brake fluid, transmission fluid, or differential oil. At least I never hear of a friend or neighbor saying, "I'm taking my car/bike in to get the brake fluid changed."

The famous 3000 mile oil change interval that Jiffy Lube promotes is so old school. My new company van, which I picked up last summer, got it's first oil change at 10,000 miles, per the vehicle oil change monitor and owner's manual. We need to ignore engine oil marketing wizards and start realizing that oil actually does last a long time.

All those that have worn out an engine from merely following the manufacturer's specified oil change interval, raise your hand.

Last edited:
Our weather finally warmed up enough to take a nice long ride so I headed over to Palouse Falls State Park in southeast Washington.

PalouseFalls2.jpg
There's still a lot of ice on the basalt cliffs from our recent cold weather.

PalouseFalls.jpg
I hiked down to the top of the falls. The basalt spires are just above the top of the falls.

PalouseFalls3.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg

150 mile ride and a 2 mile hike in sunny (50° F) weather, doesn't get much better than that in December around here.

Great pictures from your ride. What are the tires on your NC700?

Thanks! The tires are Shinko 705's, I switched over to the 705's a couple weeks ago and this was my first long ride with them on. I did notice an increase in road noise, but they rode well.

45 degree wanted to ride,hard to do with a dead battery.just road a week ago.on charger now,hopefully battery is ok.

I was going to ride the NC700 to work today, but it was raining and I didn't want to get the sheepskin cover wet, so I rode the C50 Boulevard to work today. My boss told me he couldn't believe I rode today, told him it is only rain and it will be 60'F on the ride home (heat wave before the nasty cold front-tstorms coming tomorrow night).

The NC700X owner's manual says to change engine oil every 8000 miles, not 4000 miles. Don't take this as criticism, and to each his own, but doing it every 2000 miles is simply draining and recycling perfectly good oil. If an owner wants to over maintain their vehicle, there's no harm in that, but I notice they tend to focus on the easy maintenance, like engine oil, and sometimes ignore other maintenance items. If they change their oil at only 1/4 the mileage, do they also change their air filter and brake fluid at 1/4 the mileage (for the NC700X, that would be every 3000 miles!)? Probably not. In fact, I'd bet that some people who change the engine oil every 3000 miles on their car have never bothered to change the brake fluid, transmission fluid, or differential oil. At least I never hear of a friend or neighbor saying, "I'm taking my car/bike in to get the brake fluid changed."

The famous 3000 mile oil change interval that Jiffy Lube promotes is so old school. My new company van, which I picked up last summer, got it's first oil change at 10,000 miles, per the vehicle oil change monitor and owner's manual. We need to ignore engine oil marketing wizards and start realizing that oil actually does last a long time.

All those that have worn out an engine from merely following the manufacturer's specified oil change interval, raise your hand.

I never let my oil go to the manufacturers recommended interval on any of my motorcycles. However I have in recent times allowed my own intervals to stretch beyond my previous norm. What is my norm ? That depends on the power output of the bike and the capacity of oil that it holds in its crankcase/gearbox. I have allowed the intervals to stretch because modern oils appear to have improved over what we previously used.

When I buy a new motorcycle I never know how long I will keep it . Accordingly I tend to pamper it and oil changes are the most important fluid changes. Why ? Because the engine is the primary source of motion. If the oil is left to chance the engine might break. Fun over ! Brake fluid . At worst the braking will get a little spongy. I have never heard of anyone having an accident because their brake fluid wasn't changed at spec'd intervals, but I have heard of engines failing because of poor engine oil maintenance.

When I had air cooled engines in my bikes I was meticulous about oil changes. My engines always worked well. Then one day I rode an example of one of my bikes that had long interval oil changes, but otherwise looked pristine. The difference between it and mine was amazing. Its gearbox was very loose compared to mine and I could smell the burning oil on downshifts. Point made.

Yes, there is also a car in the household. It has had its gearbox, diff, and transfer oils changed. I allow longer intervals on the engine oil on it, but only because it does not share that oil with the gearbox, where the shear aspect of the gears will break down any oil quicker, as it does in most modern motorcycles. No, I have not changed the Brake fluid as yet after 6 years. There is not the slightest hint of loss of performance in the brakes, but I accept it is time to do so.

I will always change my motorcycle oils ahead of schedule. Even if I let the intervals stretch, the bike will always tell me when to change the oil, because I will start to notice that the gearchange is getting a little notchy. This formula has worked for me for years, and it always speaks to me well before the manufacturers recommended interval. After all they want us to wear out the product over a period of time that is sufficient to require us to purchase a new one !

Last edited by a moderator:
I never let my oil go to the manufacturers recommended interval on any of my motorcycles. However I have in recent times allowed my own intervals to stretch beyond my previous norm. What is my norm ? That depends on the power output of the bike and the capacity of oil that it holds in its crankcase/gearbox. I have allowed the intervals to stretch because modern oils appear to have improved over what we previously used.

When I buy a new motorcycle I never know how long I will keep it . Accordingly I tend to pamper it and oil changes are the most important fluid changes. Why ? Because the engine is the primary source of motion. If the oil is left to chance the engine might break. Fun over ! Brake fluid . At worst the braking will get a little spongy. I have never heard of anyone having an accident because their brake fluid wasn't changed at spec'd intervals, but I have heard of engines failing because of poor engine oil maintenance.

When I had air cooled engines in my bikes I was meticulous about oil changes. My engines always worked well. Then one day I rode an example of one of my bikes that had long interval oil changes, but otherwise looked pristine. The difference between it and mine was amazing. Its gearbox was very loose compared to mine and I could smell the burning oil on downshifts. Point made.

Yes, there is also a car in the household. It has had its gearbox, diff, and transfer oils changed. I allow longer intervals on the engine oil on it, but only because it does not share that oil with the gearbox, where the shear aspect of the gears will break down any oil quicker, as it does in most modern motorcycles. No, I have not changed the Brake fluid as yet after 6 years. There is not the slightest hint of loss of performance in the brakes, but I accept it is time to do so.

I will always change my motorcycle oils ahead of schedule. Even if I let the intervals stretch, the bike will always tell me when to change the oil, because I will start to notice that the gearchange is getting a little notchy. This formula has worked for me for years, and it always speaks to me well before the manufacturers recommended interval. After all they want us to wear out the product over a period of time that is sufficient to require us to purchase a new one !

Changing oil (to me) is like changing into a new pair of underwear. It is far more comfortable and ease of mind, not to mention I can run faster and the ladies do not flee from me.

It is also a very cheap transaction considering the total price I paid for the bike and the assurance of fresh oil in her.

To each his own. I have smelled lads from afar who has not changed their underwear nor bathed. Ever.

Yhew!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I agree with Happy 100% about the oil, but I ain't smelling no lads underwear from any distance! Must be some kind of Swiss Alp winter low oxygen bike deprived syndrome.

Moved to Right thread.

Attachments

• IMGP4845.jpg
    IMGP4845.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMGP4843.jpg
    IMGP4843.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMGP4842.jpg
    IMGP4842.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMGP4841.jpg