• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took at last minute ride today. Wife decided to take a nap with the 4 & 6yr old. I did not want to so why not go for a ride.
It was going to be a combination of a geocaching / exploration trip. All of these locations had geocaches which is why I chose the route.

The first stop was the Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery.

Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery is a historic cemetery located near Cabot in northern Lonoke County, Arkansas and is the site of Confederate military camp where 1,500 Confederate soldiers died during an epidemic during the fall of 1862.

Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

View attachment 9072

View attachment 9073

The next stop was the Old Austin Cemetery. This is a town that almost disappeared off the map and has come back to life over the years.

Old Austin (Lonoke County) - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

View attachment 9074

My final stop was at "Russ (aka Old Austin Black) (African American) Cemetery". I had to do some research on this one because it was not marked. The sign on the fence only stated a Methodist church owned the property. The best information I could find was from an old article about a clean-up effort.

THE ARKANSAS LEADER: TOP STORY >> ?Lost? cemetery rediscovered

View attachment 9077

I walked around the cemetery and there were lots of very old head stones. Most had date ending in the 1915 time frame. Some may have went up to 1950. There were two headstones in particular that spurred my curiosity. One of them was engraved with "The International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor". More info at the link.

International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 9078

A few others said "Faithful Member of Mt. Calvary Circle No. 270". I could not find any details on what that was. I imagine it was a Church.

View attachment 9079

I hope I have not offended anyone with any of the information. I thought it was very interesting.

That's a trip down memory lane for me, I remember many nights partying out by the Confederate Cemetary before it was repaired and most of my Mother's family is buried at Old Austin. Such a small world this is...

I'll ride every day I can. Only at this office for another 2 weeks but the commute is a glorious 12 miles of winding ribbon along the Willamette River. Weather report says no rain the rest of the week, WooHoo! (but I'm still taking my rain gear in the frunk, just in case... it is Oregon after all). I'll try to post a pic this week!

I'll ride every day I can. Only at this office for another 2 weeks but the commute is a glorious 12 miles of winding ribbon along the Willamette River. Weather report says no rain the rest of the week, WooHoo! (but I'm still taking my rain gear in the frunk, just in case... it is Oregon after all). I'll try to post a pic this week!

I'm enjoying the great weather over on the coast. Haven't had as many consecutive days of riding in a long stretch. Not too cold yet either. Enjoy your commutes.

Today was the first day since I purchased my bike that I didn't use it to commute to work. I couldn't let the nice PNW weather go to waste so I went for a night ride.

Today was the first day since I purchased my bike that I didn't use it to commute to work. I couldn't let the nice PNW weather go to waste so I went for a night ride.

You definietly want to enjoy it while you can. Having grown up there I am always correcting people on PNW weather. They seem to think it is always raining. Like everyday. There are definitely some periods where you might get 30 days consecutive rain but it isn't all that bad. When it is nice it is beautful unless your on I-5 or I-405 in rush hour traffic. I lived in the Everett area until I was 21. Miss it sometimes.

It doesn't rain in PNW. It does seem to drizzle constantly though. Spent 3 months in Vancouver, BC on a project and have frequently traveled to Portland and Tacoma. Seldom bothered with a raincoat or umbrella, but not much sun. When water pressure lifts manhole covers off the sewer then it is raining.

Did a 781Km ride today. I needed to take the two last shots of a Motorcycle Photo Rally here in Ireland, so I got on with it. I left home at 9.00 and got home at 19.00. Job done. However It further proved to me what a Brilliant little bike the NC is. I was travelling just as quickly as I would have on my two much more powerful bikes but at half the cost on petrol. My Backside was a bit sore towards the end but that is ok for such mileage. Conditions varied on all types of roads.

Having grown up there I am always correcting people on PNW weather. They seem to think it is always raining. Like everyday. There are definitely some periods where you might get 30 days consecutive rain but it isn't all that bad.

/off topic; forgive me

I just finished re-watching my ten seasons worth of Smallville on DVD's, and was constantly chortling with how often it seemed to rain, and how remarkably green and forest-y it is, in "Kansas", lol :D

/off topic

I rode into work just like I do everyday with one difference. The moon looked huge and was directly to my front a majority of my ride. I wanted to get a picture with my bike and the moon in the background but I just can't figure out how to take dark photos with the Samsung Galaxy S4.

On a separate note. Don't get complacent on a road you have ridden for several months. There are two very sharp corners on the country portion of my route. I love taking these fast. Someone had dumped a butt load of gravel across the roadway in the middle of the corner between the rides home last night and this morning. Always expect the unexpected. No matter how well you know the road. Luckily I saw something odd and slowed down.

These are my two attempts at a photo in the dark on the way to work. If anyone has a Galaxy S4 and has suggestions I'm all ears.

20131018_061311.jpg

20131018_061346_LLS.jpg

Taking off tomorrow and making the 1100 mile ride back to ND for work. Heated gear.... check. Taller Puig windshield..... check. Merino wool socks and long johns......check. Made the trip a couple months ago on my Concours 14 in 15 hours and used about 26 gallons of fuel. Hope to cut fuel used by about 40% this time.

Taking off tomorrow and making the 1100 mile ride back to ND for work. Heated gear.... check. Taller Puig windshield..... check. Merino wool socks and long johns......check. Made the trip a couple months ago on my Concours 14 in 15 hours and used about 26 gallons of fuel. Hope to cut fuel used by about 40% this time.

Have a safe trip! :)

Did you say you were going to be able to get your LED lights mounted before leaving? Be sure to let us know how they work out if you do!
:cool:

Have a safe trip! :)

Did you say you were going to be able to get your LED lights mounted before leaving? Be sure to let us know how they work out if you do!
:cool:

Unfortunately I have two different LED lights. Another small light should be waiting for me when I get back home. Although I did think about using them as is just see how they work. I might throw them on tonight before my early bedtime since I will be taking off around 2 am.

I went for a 30 mile ride to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of having my MC endorsement. Got it 1 year ago today. It was the last beautiful day of fall last year. This year I think we will get a couple more. Plan to take a longer ride tomorrow, but wanted to mark my anniversary with a ride.

I took a ride up the Sea to Sky Hwy to Pemberton BC. It was foggy in Vancouver but got sunny as soon as I got out of the city.IMAG1274.jpgIMAG1276.jpgGreen Lake, Whistler, BCIMAG1294.jpgAbove the fog on Cypress Mountain

Getting horrible (45 mpg) fuel mileage right now. Guess my NC hates 75 mph and 40 degree weather. I am totally kicking myself for trading my C14 for this bike.

Getting horrible (45 mpg) fuel mileage right now. Guess my NC hates 75 mph and 40 degree weather. I am totally kicking myself for trading my C14 for this bike.

Something's wrong. If the engine is in good tune I don't think it would ever make mpg that low. Are you sure a spark plug wire didn't fall off? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back