• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
an argument with the GPS leads to a fun hill climb

[video=youtube_share;FYx5U_XTHyE]http://youtu.be/FYx5U_XTHyE[/video]

LOL. That sucks. Dead End. Look at it this way. More practice. How do you like those mirrors? Do you notice any difference? If you remember the thread on the mirrors causing buffeting issues that is what I'm referring to.

Road some dirt today following a frunkless Bug Dr on his S10 who had brand new (80 miles) K60s. He misses the frunk. We had a route mapped but as normal it got tossed out. Followed the route for maybe 15 mins before deviating. Think that is a new record for us. Saw 2 deer, a flock of 8 turkeys, and a pack(?) of about 15 razorbacks (wild hogs). 2 adults and a whole bunch of little ones.

Found the best view I have seen in the Ozarks. This is on Hwy74 looking at the Mt Judea valley. Pics from the video camera so not that good. I'll go back and get some good pics sometime. Oldjeff, when I get back to street riding we need to go there. At the end of the dragon (hwy123) instead of turning left on Hwy74 to go into Mt Judea, turn right onto 74.

PH000195.jpg

PH000196.jpg

Working on video the longest up hill I've done. Swear we were going up hill for 45 mins mostly in first gear.

Just got back today from a 5 day, 1530 mile trip thru central Oregon to northern California to the lost coast and redwoods and then up the pacific coast back home in Washington. I do have pics but will have to download them to the computer and post. The NC was flawless and I have grown more appreciation for its capabilities.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

pretty country up there, just about wherever you go. We do need to get a fall ride together, I have good tires now :) So where does Bug put this hat now? :D

It was a day spent with the kids yesterday. I installed the Saddleman pillion seat that pismocycleguy sold me at such a wonderful price and tested it on my kids butts. My son and I spent about 8 hours riding out to and up Hurricane Ridge, then on the way home stopped at Fat Smitty's for a couple of Fat Smitty burgers and shakes. My son got his first entry into the Down to Earth Club when at a stop sign, he decided to turn around and look behind us and over balanced the bike and I couldn't hold both of us and the bike up. No harm - my clutch handle has a little more curve to it than it did before and the peg on the kickstand now has a mischievous rake to it.

Then my daughter and I rode around in the Snohomish river valley until we ended up in the town of Snohomish for a scoop of Apple Cider Sorbet.

The Saddleman seat met with very high ratings.

A little late with this, but Saturday my parents drove up and we all went to Solvang, about 1 1/2 hours NW of my place. It's a little "Danish" town/tourist trap. I rode the NC up, then my dad tried out the new Tenere while hubby took my keys and I drove the car down with my mom and the tiny human. Went to the vintage motorcycle museum and got to tease my dad when he started in with the "I rode one of these back in..." stories. Pretty cool place, all kinds of unusual stuff floating about.
P1010902.jpg
(Yes, that is an engine in the wheel...)
P1010904.jpg
P1010914.jpg
Apparently I'm even more out of shape than I thought, and 75 miles is more than I can handle. I slept like the dead that night (minus the hungry baby moments) and am still a little sore - got a lot of work to do before the park n ride rally in a little over a month.

Chestnut, in that first photo, is that a "Ner-a-car" thingy?

I've never seen one in real life.
The red beast front and center in the photo is a 1922 Megola, from Germany. If you go to motosolvang.com there's a video about it on the homepage. You can also go through most of their collection online, though it'd be a bit tedious. There was some stuff I'd never even heard of, or better yet that my dad had never heard of - much harder to do since he's read just about every motorcycle magazine (and car and airplane) published in the last 40 years or so.

A little late with this, but Saturday my parents drove up and we all went to Solvang, about 1 1/2 hours NW of my place.

I've been there during a camping trip a couple of years ago, we stayed at the Flying Flags RV Park. Never made it to the Motorcycle Museum though.

IMG_7825.JPG

I need to get up there again sometime soon with NaNCy and a couple of riding buddies.

Last week I wrapped up a 10 day, 4000 mile trip through NM and CO, and at some point it occurred to me that what I've been thinking was overly harsh front suspension action might be at least partially caused by my ROX risers. So, last night I removed them, and the ride to work today was much, MUCH improved.

Back story: I had 2" ROX risers from a previous bike sitting in the toolbox when I bought the NC, so I pretty much immediately installed them. On sharp edged bumps, as many people complain, the ride was harsh -- overly harsh. I put Ricor valves in the forks, and it helped, but it still seemed less than great. I kind of chalked it up as a quirk of the bike, at least until I wanted to monkey with the Racetech valves.

Fast forward to the trip: Going over expansion joints I noticed just how much my GPS was bouncing around and the handlebars were... vibrating for a lack of a better term. I think the angle at which the ROX risers pivoted the handlebar back created a bit of a weird leverage/harmonic when a jolting movement came though the forks into the bars. It makes sense in my head, but I don't think I'm doing a particularly good job describing it... Think about the force of an impact travelling through the forks, and then if you've got the ROX risers pivoted at ~120° back towards you, that makes for a fair bit of weight hanging around on a few pinch bolts. Certain bumps on my commute I knew to avoid because they would create such an unpleasant buzz/shock through the bars. Today, they were all but eliminated. I think the Ricor valves were probably money well spent afterall.... the forks are darn near plush. Can't wait to hit some gravel/washboard to see how much it's improved.

So, if you're unhappy with the harshness of your front end and you've been running pivoting risers, take them off for a while and see if it helps. I may try to find some bars with a little more rise/pullback, or even straight up/solid risers, but the ROX were really exasperating the issue for me. Wish I'd thought of it 30k miles ago... YMMV. :cool:

trey

Today I roared down the interstate to Rapid City and back carrying a non-mini video projector on the passenger seat. The projector case was too big to fit in the tail case so I had to tie it on. It actually fits nicely but I wish there were a couple more tie-down spots on the rear rack.

BTW my fuel tank reserve bar started blinking after I had used up 2.8 gallons, more or less. So if the specs are right, I have 0.9 gallons in reserve when the bar first starts blinking. I just don't have a lot of nerve about low tanks.

This past Saturday, I got back from my 2000 mile bike trip vacation, which included my ss1000. Sunday, the good girl got a wash, oil change, and chain maintenance done on her. On a side note, about 250 miles from home (MontEagle Pass: I 24), I started hearing a rattling noise from low front end of bike when pulling away from a start-only happened in 1st gear. I knew something was loose or I had a rock somewhere up in the engine compartment somewhere-yep, when I took the oil filter off, there was a rock laying between the oil filter and the coolant reservoir-the rock fell out when I removed the oil filter. No more rattling. Must have picked it up at the top of the I-24 off ramp at MontEagle (bunch of loose gravel in that spot).

I finished putting 3 gummy worm tire plugs in my nearly new rear PR3 after I took the really wide screw out. Even with 3 worms in the hole, it's still leaking about 1 psi every 5 or so hours. I've already got my new PR3 rear on order. That's the second time I've had a flat rear tire on this bike - and both times the tires were pretty new.

Maybe I should just turn around and hightail it whenever I see any kind of construction along a road I'm traveling on...

I finished putting 3 gummy worm tire plugs in my nearly new rear PR3 after I took the really wide screw out. Even with 3 worms in the hole, it's still leaking about 1 psi every 5 or so hours. I've already got my new PR3 rear on order. That's the second time I've had a flat rear tire on this bike - and both times the tires were pretty new.

Maybe I should just turn around and hightail it whenever I see any kind of construction along a road I'm traveling on...

That sucks. Think I'd find an alternate route.

After installing new tires, I gave her a good wash with some Nano-tech shampoo (2 in 1) with wax included.
She looks brand new now!
Yippee@!!!!
:D

Do you have a fender extender on front tire? Many rear flats come from front tore lifting object like screw off road and rear tire gets there before it is laying flat on pavement again. Fender extender reduces this.

Fuzzy, I've got a fender extender already in place.

Bbrrr. I'd hate to think I'd of had dozens of flats if it hadn't been there, instead of the two I have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back