• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed new RP 4 on the front.
Old one had 16000 miles, almost to the wear bars.
Road trip starts this week.

Shad seat that I bought via this forum arrived yesterday. Looks good except for one thing: the front tongue on the seat pan is snapped. It's still attached to the seat pan with a thin bit of distressed plastic but it hinges up and down without any ability to perform its function. I could twist it barely and it would break off completely. Box shows no sign of being smashed/mangled. Guess I'll be doing some surgery with a flat piece of metal or two, and some bolts... or something : \

30965156023_3349c7da44_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped a $1000 on summer riding gear (Dainese RainSun Jacket and Pants) and a Sena 10U Bluetooth Communications for my Shoei NeoTec helmet. Pretty soon, I am going to have more in gear and farkles that I paid for the bike! Sheesh. I think I need professional help.

Shad seat that I bought via this forum arrived yesterday. Looks good except for one thing: the front tongue on the seat pan is snapped. It's still attached to the seat pan with a thin bit of distressed plastic but it hinges up and down without any ability to perform its function. I could twist it barely and it would break off completely. Box shows no sign of being smashed/mangled. Guess I'll be doing some surgery with a flat piece of metal or two, and some bolts... or something : \

32071d1482182176-2015-dct-parts-handguards-windshield-side-rack-shad-seat-2016-12-19-13;59;42s-jpg

I suggest cutting a length of robust plastic or aluminium and pushing it inside the pan between the plastic and the foam. If long enough it should be held firmly enough by the foam against the pan to do its job ?

32071d1482182176-2015-dct-parts-handguards-windshield-side-rack-shad-seat-2016-12-19-13;59;42s-jpg

Possible causes for the broken tongue would be that the seat was used without transferring the bumpers from the stock seat pan as required. Or, the seat was used with a Showkey mod without additional height added to the front seat pan bumpers. I believe the plastic tongue was meant only to keep the seat in place laterally, while the front bumpers would carry the weight of the rider.

I think gluing the tongue may suffice as long as the support bumpers are installed.

Last edited:
5be281bd061745bb48acd77a13a75dd3.jpg

Replaced the rear axle bolt I stripped awhile ago. I didn't take any pics of the new one but I used a torque wrench for the install this time

Last edited:
Regarding the seat pan tongue: The plastic/fiber is so thin there that a wiggle or two will separate it... But i've figured a couple of ways to deal with it. I'll pull the stock seat to make sure I'm visualizing correctly where I need clearance. I'm not sure yet whether I even need the raised front the stock seat did, but I did the mod already so I'll approach it as if it does need it. Thanks, guys. It's likely I'll use the same metal bits that people have used to raise their front fenders. Since I do have a grinder with a cutting wheel and a Dremel I should be able to get the dimensions needed. Alternately, I might be able to span the area from where the bumpers would go at the correct height and actually have a tongue that goes into the original slot.

Regarding the seat pan tongue: The plastic/fiber is so thin there that a wiggle or two will separate it... But i've figured a couple of ways to deal with it. I'll pull the stock seat to make sure I'm visualizing correctly where I need clearance. I'm not sure yet whether I even need the raised front the stock seat did, but I did the mod already so I'll approach it as if it does need it. Thanks, guys. It's likely I'll use the same metal bits that people have used to raise their front fenders. Since I do have a grinder with a cutting wheel and a Dremel I should be able to get the dimensions needed. Alternately, I might be able to span the area from where the bumpers would go at the correct height and actually have a tongue that goes into the original slot.

I had over 40,000 TOUGH,TOUGH miles on my seat mod with my 285lb butt and it was perfect when I sold it !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ what I meant BTW is that the remaining shred of plastic holding the tongue to the seat pan is NOW so thin, not that the tongue on the Shad was initially thin. just clarifying.

I dropped a $1000 on summer riding gear (Dainese RainSun Jacket and Pants) and a Sena 10U Bluetooth Communications for my Shoei NeoTec helmet. Pretty soon, I am going to have more in gear and farkles that I paid for the bike! Sheesh. I think I need professional help.

I got their D-Dry jacket for ~$300 iirc, haven't gotten around to buying pants (borrowing some atm). It works great in a drizzle and with some underarmor keeps you pretty warm even at 37°F on the highway.

More recently, bought an aprilia tuono shock for a reasonable sum. Will be installing it in a week or two, when it hopefully arrives.

I was going to put my new 6"-long Seal Savers on the forks today since it was warm enough in my motorcycle shed finally (first day it wasn't near 0F for quite some time). But I decided to wait until riding started again so condensation wouldn't possibly build up under them while the NC is stored in that cold cold shed...

Anyway, this size will work on either standard or reverse forks. the primary material is neoprene and one end is a bit bigger in diameter than the other. There is a flap under each zipper so the forks won't get chafed, and one that secures with hardy velcro over each zipper. They fit nice and tight. There are loops to keep the zip ties in place once everything is zipped up and in place. I wish they were like the Kriega socks that have a hard plastic outer surface bonded to the neoprene because that should take more off-pavement abuse. But it was likely the Kriegas would not fit the NC since they are designed for dirt bikes with reverse forks. I'll find out when I get some for my WR250R, which they probably will fit.

Anyway, I think these will be great for my NC.

31628535042_c0c3e1f870_o.jpg

5be281bd061745bb48acd77a13a75dd3.jpg

Replaced the rear axle bolt I stripped awhile ago. I didn't take any pics of the new one but I used a torque wrench for the install this time

Another first for me. I have never seen that happen on an axle bolt. You must be one strong dude to be able to pull those threads, either that or You used a three foot long t bar ?

Another first for me. I have never seen that happen on an axle bolt. You must be one strong dude to be able to pull those threads, either that or You used a three foot long t bar ?
no a 1ft 3/4" ratchet that weighs 5lb but lessen learned. I got a torque wrench. The party was on back order and took me a month to get, got the same story from 6 places and 2 local Honda dealerships, makes me wonder how often it happens?

Last edited:

Nah, I've tried that professional help. The disease is cheaper. And more fun :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back