• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clunking noise when pulling away in first gear is one of the first signs of the chain beginning to kink in a few places. The front gear cover has a little metal tab and kinked links can hit it causing the clunking noise.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was it. It looked rough before I cleaned it and there were some slight kinks. Definitely need to keep an eye on that. I also cleaned some of the gunk behind the cover at the front sprocket.

Wet one on the way into work.
Rain Gear has come a long way since I started riding in 1986.
Been a while since I commuted to work on a bike. The NC rocked in a HARD down pour, handled puddles and all really well. I wasn't SUPER confident in the stock tires on sharp turns so I did exercise extra care in turns but over all really happy with the NC. The Puig windscreen moved the wind perfectly onto my face shield which removed the rain pretty darn well.

One issue.. I need cycling boots... my feet is wet! But not to fear, and extra set of shoes and socks were in my frunk and all my work gear (laptop etc) was in the trunk.

Such a fun practical bike.

View attachment 33052

I started with waterproof Sketcher work boots when on the scooter. As part of the process of switching to the NCX I decided to up my gear to be more inline with ATGATT. To that end I bought a Fieldsheer jacket and pant combo at a really good price and then decided to buy some decent boots - went with the Forma Adventure Low. They're more expensive than a lot of options like TCX etc. however I believe they're the right boot for me. They've been fantastic. Warm and dry in winter riding, not too warm in the 70's, and all day comfort if I end up wearing them off the bike too. As they're not laces (2 buckles like on a ski boot) they're also very quick to put on and take off.

The jacket/pants are quite water resistant on the outer layer, but have a waterproof liner. If it's really raining hard though I will put my Olympia rain gear on top. This increases my visibility to others as it's black/neon-green (think UK police motorcycle rider colors), but it also keeps the outer layer of my gear dry and therefore lighter and more ready for action at the end of the day!! For today's rain in our area I went without the Olympia as it was really just a light rain.

Having the dual layers also pretty much guarantees no damp patch at the crotch, which seems to be the weakest point of most gear. This is important when going to work :)

Yea, My rain gear is Flu Green top and black grey pants, i think the visability is a HUGE plus in wet weather.
It hit hard right at 7:15am on 271N. POURING. but not a drop came in. (I also had a Joe Rocket mesh with liner riding jacket on underneath as well.. and that is water resistant as well. But that jacket was bone dry as well.

My car is going to get bored this summer. :D

I was keeping an eye on that rain as I was heading to our office in Chagrin Falls, next to Jekyll's Kitchen - the restaurant overlooking the falls that burned down the other year. Fortunately all I got was a little sprinkling and then shortly after I arrived it chucked it down! Glad I wasn't on 271N in the pouring rain, some of those drivers can't see you in the regular daylight even if you're wearing hi-viz!! I'm also at 5000 miles or so on my OEM Dunlop's so not exactly confident on my tyres. Getting ready to have them replaced, probably with PR4's.

Glad I wasn't on 271N in the pouring rain, some of those drivers can't see you in the regular daylight even if you're wearing hi-viz!!

If we riders on our NCs looked more like giant smartphones I'm sure more cagers would notice us ; }

I'm also at 5000 miles or so on my OEM Dunlop's so not exactly confident on my tyres. Getting ready to have them replaced, probably with PR4's.

When I bought by NC used it had Bridgestone Battlax BT023 on it. I didn't hate them on wet pavement in rain by any means but they definitely told me to slow down on corners : } ...I gotta say that multi-compound tires such as the PR4 or what I replaced the BT023 with -- the Avon Trailriders (chosen for their additional hardpack and gravel advantage) -- seem to be the way to go for both longevity and safer wet ride handling.

I've put on a few hundred kilometers since getting new tires, so today I re-torqued the wheels and calipers, checked the chain adjustment, cleaned and oiled it too.

1.jpg

That is one seriously clean back end on a chain drive bike. There is no way I would have the patience to keep my bike that clean. Respect !

That is one seriously clean back end on a chain drive bike. There is no way I would have the patience to keep my bike that clean. Respect !
I've thought the same thing, look at any of the pics sumo posts of his ride

I was going to clean mine this year but I will probably just do the top box.

Yeah I guess it depends on if you have the time available, also sumo lives up north where they have a real winter and riding isn't always a option

Plus +1. Mine has some oil splash from the tutoro on the rim, and is difficult to clean. I'm wondering if I spray it with Gunk will the Gunk harm the wheels finish? Anyone with experience?

Ray

Plus +1. Mine has some oil splash from the tutoro on the rim, and is difficult to clean. I'm wondering if I spray it with Gunk will the Gunk harm the wheels finish? Anyone with experience?

Ray
What are you using for oil in your tutoro? It should just wipe off

What are you using for oil in your tutoro? It should just wipe off
I walk into Walmart and pick up whatever the cheapest quart of resealable 10/30 is. After a few 1k rides in a row, road grime adheres and takes a lot of scrubbing (too much for me) to get it off. I've tried spray car washes and heavy duty soaps (Simply Green). Next maybe Gunk, but worried that may ruin the finish.

Ray

I walk into Walmart and pick up whatever the cheapest quart of resealable 10/30 is. After a few 1k rides in a row, road grime adheres and takes a lot of scrubbing (too much for me) to get it off. I've tried spray car washes and heavy duty soaps (Simply Green). Next maybe Gunk, but worried that may ruin the finish.

Ray
OCR says he uses 70/90 rear end oil he gets from Wal-Mart for $5 a bottle. I've never used anything but the stuff I got with my oiler. When I bought my tutoro I got two quarts of their oil and one bottle lasted around 40k miles, I'm on my second bottle but just recently.
d25a09be957e047512e9e31cc87b32f4.jpg

To answer your question I used this stuff a plastic putty knife and allot of elbow grease to remove all the over spray from trying wax based chain lube

First day back at work, so decided to start it off right and commute by bike.

It rained a bit overnight and there was ice on the bike, but there was no snow and it was already up to zero degrees so I figured I was relativity safe. A light dusting of snow started to fall when I was on the gravel road going toward the highway. On the highway there started to be snow sticking between the wheel tracks after a few km. It was getting thicker as I got closer to town and by the time I was in town the roads were a slushy mess and I discovered that the Shinko 805 is not a winter tire by any means.

20170412_074813.jpg
We got another couple inches throughout the morning, then it got melty in afternoon and I was able to ride home in the tire tracks.

First day back at work, so decided to start it off right and commute by bike.

It rained a bit overnight and there was ice on the bike, but there was no snow and it was already up to zero degrees so I figured I was relativity safe. A light dusting of snow started to fall when I was on the gravel road going toward the highway. On the highway there started to be snow sticking between the wheel tracks after a few km. It was getting thicker as I got closer to town and by the time I was in town the roads were a slushy mess and I discovered that the Shinko 805 is not a winter tire by any means.

View attachment 33068
We got another couple inches throughout the morning, then it got melty in afternoon and I was able to ride home in the tire tracks.
Your dedication to riding is impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back