• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome weekend with my awesome wife and my awesome little NC!
Congratulations to both of you, and thanks for a great 'What did you do to/with your NC700 today?' story and supporting photos. It's nice to see when this thread actually relates to the title's subject, kudos and congrats again.

Ray

Sleepy C, great post. Congratulations on your anniversary! It's posts like this that make me check this forum everyday.

Anniversaries? Here too, 31 July. Happens once a year. Heading somewhere cooler and not so dry for a week or so. Congratulate us and any others who have anniversaries for all the fun we will have and the fact that time as we measure it includes the concept of a rotating calendar date.

Anyway. Hopefully the last I'll have to see of the stock Honda "windscreen"* -- my National Cycles 22" VStream+ should arrive today and I can get it installed before we leave. Good thing, because especially around the Rocky Mountain Front you can get beat to death or at least get whiplash trying to keep your helmet stable. I should have a neck as thick as Conan the Barbarian's right now with all the exercise it gets ; }

RMF by greenboy, on Flickr

* doesn't really screen anything like bugs or wind so the term is misplaced

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, Sunday, I rode from my house to the top of the mountain, Newfound Gap to enjoy the coolness of the day, the scenery and take a pic or two. Only about 100 mile trip but still a good ride. Remember when you're riding to take time to smell the roses. Enhances the totality of the ride.

Installed risers to give a small rearward lift. Went for a ride and it's funny how just an inch or so can impact the geometry! Never really thought about it before and was installing them to primarily help the hand guards clear the screen better and hopefully allow me to put on the Madstad winglets come late fall/winter. However I immediately felt a more 'relaxed' posture in a more upright position with less strain on my arms and between the shoulder blades that I had never really paid attention to before. Most of my daily riding is < 25 minutes and the occasional 1+ hour rides have never really been an issue with comfort so I was a little surprised to feel such a difference. Just keep lovin' this bike!

Still waiting for my MSTA Ohio Mail Pouch Fly-by registration to be confirmed, but I'm looking forward to it all the more as the time approaches!! At least I have a diving vacation between now and then to help pass the time quickly!!

Installed risers to give a small rearward lift. Went for a ride and it's funny how just an inch or so can impact the geometry! Never really thought about it before and was installing them to primarily help the hand guards clear the screen better and hopefully allow me to put on the Madstad winglets come late fall/winter. However I immediately felt a more 'relaxed' posture in a more upright position with less strain on my arms and between the shoulder blades that I had never really paid attention to before. Most of my daily riding is < 25 minutes and the occasional 1+ hour rides have never really been an issue with comfort so I was a little surprised to feel such a difference. Just keep lovin' this bike!

Still waiting for my MSTA Ohio Mail Pouch Fly-by registration to be confirmed, but I'm looking forward to it all the more as the time approaches!! At least I have a diving vacation between now and then to help pass the time quickly!!

Which risers did you install and what about parking brake, throttle, and other cables and hoses? When I tried everything seemed so tight. I've read that 2015 and earlier have enough slack but this is the first I've read about risers on a 2016/17.

Paid $50 to get my front and rear tires changed. Had no real option as my rear was completely flat so I had to take off both wheels myself. I really need to invest in a cheap portable tire changer since I already have a balancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the SW Motech Barback model from Twisted Throttle (I had points which helped a lot!). They're pricey considering what they are and compared to other designs available from eBay & China etc. You have to buy what you're comfortable with. For me, I like and trust the SW-M brand. I have several accessories from them and have been completely satisfied with each. Working in a manufacturing plant I know how the engineers are very particular about sourcing materials, and our clients are very specific about them too. It means we pay more and so do they. It does NOT mean that cheaper parts are necessarily inferior, however past history has shown that they can be and that the uncertainty of the compositions means that we pay more for knowing what we're getting and that it meets specs. On my bike, I like known quality parts. It's what I personally am comfortable with and I'm ok paying extra for. The bike price means that I don't mind spending extra for the piece of mind on my extras, especially when they are important or integral parts!

As for installation, it could have been easier, but I was able to release just enough slack for everything and make sure I have full operating range. Certainly was tighter than I had hoped for before starting!! I'm away on vacation next week and the bike will be going in for it's 8k service while I'm gone. I was going to pay them to do the install after reading how tight they could be, but figured me and my old man should at least have a crack at it first. He's very mechanical and I'm methodical and a little OCD. Between us we had it done in 30 minutes. Although I think his test riding almost doubled that! He comes back every time with a huge grin on his face!! This time I showed him how to ride in manual and he just loved it!! One day I will convince him to be back on two wheels again so we can do more rides together, especially with my eldest daughter passing her test just recently too.

I'm in the process of putting my rear wheel and can't remember which side these go. Anyone have ideas? My manual is at work...

00d30b6d51dbcb292f8219a8c6e1482b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough guys have used the particular design of eBay/China risers I have for me to feel confident with them, even had I not already ridden maybe 7000 miles with them ; } -- tolerances, materials and finish top notch as one would expect from good CNC work... Sure a lot less fussy than Roxx for assuring nothing will budge.

The 20009 VStream was a pretty easy install and feels stout. After a few hours test riding I can say it does better with sidewinds and gusts and I can hear the engine and tires more -- as well as the pipe when I crank on it. Open face riding is comfortable with less low frequency noise as well as the rest of the spectrum. Seems like I was surprised I was going 75 or so a couple times because it was relatively placid in back. And look ma -- no bugs in the face! 5'11" slightly long torso. Still felt good air passage in the mesh jacket. Good enough!

Early morn tomorrow it's off to the coast with my gal for a week or so in the camping minivan to commemorate our anniversary : }

This weekend was my wife and I's wedding anniversary. And this year we decided to do something different rather than the "nice dinner, bottle of wine" deal.

So we started the day on the NC for a nice "round-the-way" ride through the local park systems and some awesome back roads I love to ride on.
This led us to a Kayak rental spot.
View attachment 34232

{...}

View attachment 34236

(That jacket makes me look like a bloated whale.. I may need to get a smaller one! hahaha)

So we both got married same time of the year, and we both have that jacket a size too large (though mine is hi-viz) ; } ...Congrats! I got mine that size so I could wear more under it in the cold season here, and so I could carry my camera with a big lens on it zipped under the jacket if desired. It does work, but I must admit in the summer I'd like it to be more trim as well. My gal doesn't care though ; }

So we both got married same time of the year, and we both have that jacket a size too large (though mine is hi-viz) ; } ...Congrats! I got mine that size so I could wear more under it in the cold season here, and so I could carry my camera with a big lens on it zipped under the jacket if desired. It does work, but I must admit in the summer I'd like it to be more trim as well. My gal doesn't care though ; }

Great minds think k alike or so they say! Congrats to you as well. Also exactly like you said, colder weather with the liner and a sweat shirt or two under the jacket it fits great! Summer not so much. Also I do video and photo for a living but I need to drag a camera with me, I have enough damn equipment. Maybe something small like a Canon 70D with a 24-105mm. That would.cover a lot of ground. Hmmmm.

Great minds think k alike or so they say! Congrats to you as well. Also exactly like you said, colder weather with the liner and a sweat shirt or two under the jacket it fits great! Summer not so much. Also I do video and photo for a living but I need to drag a camera with me, I have enough damn equipment. Maybe something small like a Canon 70D with a 24-105mm. That would.cover a lot of ground. Hmmmm.

I used to shoot Canon Hi-8 with interchangeable glass back in the analog days and did some pro work with it, industrial training, band video, etc. Later used better Canon mini-DV. Now I'm using an Oly E-M1 just for stills (got no desire to shoot clips really), in conjunction with 3 lenses for travel: an Oly 12-100 Pro (24-200 FF focal equiv), augmented by a Panasonic Leica 100-400 Pro (200-800 FF focal equiv!) and a tiny manual ultrawide Laowa 7.5mm F2.0 (15mm FF focal equiv). Huge range covered, all fits into a Lowe Pro Toploader bag that I can chest carry or with an over-shoulder strap. No tripod, image stabilization kills as long as one isn't doing long exposure... I really didn't take a quality hit from my faster glass as long as it's still relatively daylight, and I hardly ever have to switch lenses now, the 12-100 Pro covers such a useful range.

I have heard great things about the Oly. I shoot mainly Sony FS7 MK II for video or C500/300/100. And I had shot Nikon for stills but since I had good glass for the Canon I switched my still body to Canon. We have a 5D mk4 but I didn't need that for personal use so I snagged a 70D used. It allows me to use my Canon glass and it's more than enough for 99% of stuff.

Again I have heard a lot of good about your cam. And your pics show its a winner. I need to do better than my phone. Challenge accepted ��

Main thing I like about the Oly is the weight and size of glass to handle a given focal range is less than APS or full frame, and the best image stabilization in the body, as well as many of the lenses. Tripods, weight and bulk are a drag. Actually you can use tons of other glass on them too, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, you name it. But the native glass really has enough covered that I never have bothered, and all I have is weather sealed including the body.

I waited on the SLR until digital AND having children (nothing like cute baby pictures to 'justify' the purchase to the spouse!!). Started with the Oly E-500 2 lens kit which my eldest daughter now uses. Upgraded the lenses one at a time to faster glass, the 12-60 & 50-200. Eventually upgraded to the E-5 body & added a nifty fifty with macro. Also use the Oly XZ-1 and for my outdoors & dive/snorkel shots I use the TG-4 (with housing when diving). I really really like the Oly colors right out of the camera. Makes any post work so much easier. I also like the size of the glass. I've thought about going mirror-less, but haven't yet justified the cost of changing. We have a semi-pro at church who uses multiple brands and when he goes on missions trips he loves his Oly E-M1 mark II and fast, small glass. I try not to look at it or use it too often!! Oly brings so much to the table with their offerings!!

Guess we should get back to the other hobby now that we side-tracked a little here...!!

Maybe we need a photo-bike trip?

Rode to work all last week and this week. RT 271N in the morning SUCKS. almost everyday I have to aggressively change lanes to avoid getting mauled by a texting driver.
I might bring back a dark element from my wheelie days and start carrying a pocket full of 1" Steel ball bearings with me.... just .. you know... for making my presence known.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back