• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably all different now, haven't been there in at least fifteen years, but as I remember it it's a completely worthwhile detour if you're in the area. I enjoyed the "roller coaster" section right past the uphill your photo showed. Brought back a few memories.

Well, not really today -- but in the past two days...

I put an external fuel cell on the bike. I mounted a ~3 gallon TourTank tank to HondaBikePro's rack. I used some stainless bolts with nylok nuts on them so they don't back off. I used some brass fuel fittings, sealed with Loctite 518 (which is a fuel-rated gasket maker / thread locker), then ran 1/4" fuel line to a quality manual 90' valve. That runs directly to the fuel cap which was drilled and a brass fitting threaded in and JB-welded in place.

Basically I ride until my fuel light comes on, reach back and flip the valve open. It gravity feeds into the tank. I've done minimal testing, but so far it works and doesn't leak. I will put some miles on it this week and see. All in all I should easily be at a 300 mile range and usually closer to 400. Very happy with it.

30u39qf.jpg

zuny9k.jpg

Not at all. Thank you!

Next rendition I will put a quick disconnect at the cap, and an electric valve beyond it.

Thanks Ray. I am monitoring trip check, the news, the state fire map, and the weather channels. There are still a few days before departure and conditions will certainly change. But... My deposit is paid and I do need to be there on Tuesday. Plan B is to take the (longer) coast route. Plan C would be a straight blast down I5 if necessary.
>Thom

I canceled my long planned ride from Portland to Crater Lake and back... Just returned from a three day trip to the coast - stayed in Astoria and rode the local roads in the morning and walked the town and enjoyed the sites in the afternoons (enjoyed the sites = walking, eating and drinking myself silly). Got home yesterday with 500 new miles on the bike. Oregon is on fire...period and the smoke on the coast was tough, so scenic photos were a bust. Here are a few from the trip.

Attachments

• IMG_5779.jpg
    IMG_5779.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5830.jpg
    IMG_5830.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5831.jpg
    IMG_5831.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5837.jpg
    IMG_5837.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 126
Rain here today. Had to assembly the waterproof elements of my riding gear. Leaves are falling from the trees...get your riding in while you can...the end is near ;)

Rear Bag

PortlandZinMan, looks like you travel with a bag on the rear rack instead of a top box. What bag do you have (the bag is too small in the picture for me to make it out) and any issues traveling with it vs a top box?

PortlandZinMan, looks like you travel with a bag on the rear rack instead of a top box. What bag do you have (the bag is too small in the picture for me to make it out) and any issues traveling with it vs a top box?

The bag has worked out great - it is a Oxford 1 "36" - here is more info on it:

Recommendation for Sturdy Soft Bag for Honda OEM Rack

I keep all my maintenance and emergency gear (tools, gas, first aid, locks, jump starter, cleaning, etc). I zips on and off easily. If I am just putting around town, I take it off and put it back on for the longer rides in the middle of nowhere. The top box is just too big and I have more than enough space in the side bags for my kind of 3-5 day travels.

Found some cheap pouches that fit (sorta) to my SW-Motech crash bars. Lotsa good quality Velcro loops to hold it. Took a 250 mile ride and they were stable, even at interstate speeds. A lot cheaper than the name brand pouches. These seemed the closest match for our 'NC with SW-Motech crash bars, others mileage may vary.

(KTM 1190 Adventure bags for Sw-motech Crash bar bags luggage panniers | eBay)

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

Ray

Yeah, front panniers have a couple of side benefits too -- wind deflection, and weight distribution ferinstance.

One could even mention crash protection for the crash bars, kind like grandma's clear plastic furniture covers, keep the bars from getting unsightly mars/scratches ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday went on the first ride with the new PR4s i got put on. After buying this bike i have put on 500 miles and its not even in my name yet. Quite enjoyable to ride. I got 3,000 miles out of the stock dunlops. Last night i also changed my oil as i wasn't aware of how long the oil had been in there before i got the bike. Also got my Mmotoracks package in the mail finally, planning to install that tonight if all goes well. Used shell rotella 5w-40 t6 full synthetic. It also goes in my '16 cummins so it was easy and on hand. Changed the truck and the bike oil simultaneously. When i drained the oil out of the bike it was a caramel color that looked quite nice on top of the thick black layer of Diesel soot stained oil beneath it. Made me feel better for changing it. Will change the next batch at 5k miles, just so i can keep on the 5's schedule for my oil changes.
IMG_1116.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1119.jpg

Wawayanda State Park, NJ

Yesterday, lots of little news:

1. CLOSE CALL WITH KEYS
At a state park rest room, my mega keyring slingshotted off my wrist right to base of the deep open mouth portapotty. Lesson learned: don't keep that second ignition key on the keyring just for the frunk, because you may lose that keyring and need it to start the bike...

2. GOOD NEWS WITH KEYS
I keep all my "lock" keys on a separate ring inside the frunk. I found that attaching the retractable ID badge keyring fob to the frunk strap makes it just long enough to reach and open the side panniers! (Got it at Home Depot for around $5, though I can't find it online. )

20170909_212052a.jpg

1_283a.jpg

3. GOOD NEWS - Nice ride up the Palisades and over to Wawayanda State Park in NJ.

Route - George Washington Bridge --> Shore Road under Palisades --> Palisades Parkway --> I-87/287 --> Skyline Drive --> New Milford --> Wawayanda State Park --> New Milford --> Warwick and back

20170909_routea.jpg

View east across Hudson to top of Manhattan -- Inwood Hill Park

20170909_161444a.jpg

Wawayanda Lake

20170909_184111a.jpg

20170909_183741a.jpg

Barrett Road, South of New Milford, NY

20170909_191248a.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a small ride today and dropped it in the driveway at home. Cable guy left some cable to be buried at a future date. Caught my foot and down I went in slow mo

Went for a small ride today and dropped it in the driveway at home. Cable guy left some cable to be buried at a future date. Caught my foot and down I went in slow mo
Dang it sorry to hear that, hope nothing got hurt or broken, I would have a word or two with the cable guy if I was you.

Likewise did a short ride today. Came home and damned near dropped it in the driveway - damned black walnut tree drops a thousand nuts. Blew them off yesterday but just a few left for my feet to slide on backing the bike in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windy but smoke cleared quite a bit today within the radius I cared to venture through. rode a bunch to get the feel for best adjustment of many possibilities my highway pegs allow. they are nicely built and finished and stick out pretty far and go forward and down nicely on the engine guards I have -- just the way I wanted. real comfortable, making the seat work better too or at least having an alternate position is of great use. didn't fall down or get blown over either. I'll take some pictures later but for now:

s-l1600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back