• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not much taller than an NC700X, I'm on the balls of my feet on mine and it wasn't much effort to mount the AT.

Today I gave her a thoroughly good clean ...and realised I shouldn't go anywhere until I get those brake pads replaced, both front and rear. Sigh...
ab586bb7518861dc14e7ff541fabc42d.jpg
704413452a5d2602636b75ecc71605c8.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

I done gone done and did it. The hotter, faster, prettier, taller big sister got me to cheat on My NC. I hope polygamy works for me, I still like my NC a lot.
25105c5f39c25dd25.jpg

I finally got around to riding out to Mulholland Highway. I wanted to see how the canyons are after the fires and rains in Malibu and to also try out my new Dianese Scout 2 winter gloves. It stopped raining a few days before and was a clear sunny day, but rather cold. Into the 50's in the day time, which is cold for us here.

Most of the roads were clear but once on Mulholland I could see huge areas where the side of the hill was just waiting to come crashing down. Lots of narrow canyons had become raging rivers during the rains and were now looking very different from the way they did during the drought. One segment had a creek that was altered so much that a stream of water was now running across the road, which left my bike's underside covered in grey mud.
The hillsides were mostly green, looking like Ireland, from all the rains.

I could see a lot more than in the past, as most of the trees and brush that had blocked my view before were all gone. Still lots of construction crews and telephone line installers driving around.

The bridge in Cornell was out and will probably be that way for a long time, so I stopped in at The Old Place for a quick visit to get warm. So yes, the new gloves don't work as well as I'd hoped. I guess I will be seeing if my Barkbusters fit when I have time.
Didn't make it to the Snake, so will save that for a warmer day.

I built a set of stairs on the driveway out of snow. The HOA won't give us a handrail on our steep drive.

I looked at my bike in my frozen garage with the saddest eyes. I told myself I don't have to do my valves yet because I haven't officially hit 32k miles.
I'd complain more about the cold but I suspect I wouldn't get any sympathy from anyone east of the Cascades :rolleyes:

Commuted to work, It was 30° but dry when I left this morning, it's been raining every work day for 3 weeks and I've given up riding in the rain (too many close calls with cagers)
4118c14e892085e0454b415a04c849c1.jpg

Should be a beautiful ride home in the 50's[emoji16]

Commuted to work, It was 30° but dry when I left this morning, it's been raining every work day for 3 weeks and I've given up riding in the rain (too many close calls with cagers)

I agree, they get pretty crazy when the water starts. My rule is that I won't ride TO work in the rain but I will consider riding home. Only because I don't want to walk around in wet shoes all day and don't want to store a riding pair. But I won't ride in if it looks like it may be a downpour later. As for the crazies, I drive a truck and train other drivers so it's my job to watch for the nuts. I am hyper vigilant and watch everything. (knock wood). The ones that really scare me, especially in the rain, are those other bikers that seem to think that they are invincible because they don't seem to realize how we can appear out of thin air to other drivers.

4118c14e892085e0454b415a04c849c1.jpg

I don't miss seeing that frost on my own bike!

I don't like the rain, but I don't mind it either. Sure makes me wish the NC came with a shaft-drive though. Up here I'd never be able to ride if I only stuck to dry days. I'd guess I've gone at least 8k miles in the rain, likely more. After a certain point it becomes meditative, the sound of rain pattering on your helmet.

This is of course assuming you can stay dry. Waterproof pants usually means you have about a half hour to an hour before your butt gets damp. Weatherproof boots and gloves are a must. Bless Gore-Tex.

Shoveled a path to the shop so I could plug Skookum into the battery tender. We don't get much snow in western Washington but I have 12" on the back deck and its still snowing pretty hard here in Olympia. Freezing rain in the forecast probably means no riding this week.

I'm starting to think I need to kidnap a ground hog to see if I can put an end to winter..... ;-)
>Thom

PS - @Silver Rocket - I grew up in Manhattan Beach. We used to ride our 20" Schwinn Stingrays from MB to Marineland all year-round. I forgot how spoiled I was. You mentioned that your winter gloves didn't work in the 50's. I don't even get my winter gloves out until its gets into the 40's. Happy riding and Enjoy that SoCal weather !!!.

I agree, they get pretty crazy when the water starts. My rule is that I won't ride TO work in the rain but I will consider riding home. Only because I don't want to walk around in wet shoes all day and don't want to store a riding pair. But I won't ride in if it looks like it may be a downpour later. As for the crazies, I drive a truck and train other drivers so it's my job to watch for the nuts. I am hyper vigilant and watch everything. (knock wood). The ones that really scare me, especially in the rain, are those other bikers that seem to think that they are invincible because they don't seem to realize how we can appear out of thin air to other drivers.
I live in Los Banos California and drive a semi truck with a 53ft trailer out of Morgan Hill 4 days a week. I reduced it down to riding home in the rain (I agree starting your work day soaked, sucks) but the least 3 times it was supposed to be scattered showers it was pouring rain (once on the way into work 4 hours before it was supposed to sprinkle) apparently the weather man still gets by with a magic 8 ball. My commute is 99% freeway and last time I rode in the rain, I couldn't see, I had my visor half up and still had limited vision, I just tried "jaws quick spit" and it seems to work very well.
I'm riding again tomorrow but back in the cage Wed/Thurs.

Last edited:
Shoveled a path to the shop so I could plug Skookum into the battery tender. We don't get much snow in western Washington but I have 12" on the back deck and its still snowing pretty hard here in Olympia. Freezing rain in the forecast probably means no riding this week.

I'm starting to think I need to kidnap a ground hog to see if I can put an end to winter..... ;-)
>Thom

PS - @Silver Rocket - I grew up in Manhattan Beach. We used to ride our 20" Schwinn Stingrays from MB to Marineland all year-round. I forgot how spoiled I was. You mentioned that your winter gloves didn't work in the 50's. I don't even get my winter gloves out until its gets into the 40's. Happy riding and Enjoy that SoCal weather !!!.
My oldest son lives in Bremerton, if convinced my wife to move up there (within 30-45 min of our sons house) as of now the plan is to move up there early to mid summer next year [emoji1694]

I don't miss seeing that frost on my own bike!

I don't like the rain, but I don't mind it either. Sure makes me wish the NC came with a shaft-drive though. Up here I'd never be able to ride if I only stuck to dry days. I'd guess I've gone at least 8k miles in the rain, likely more. After a certain point it becomes meditative, the sound of rain pattering on your helmet.

This is of course assuming you can stay dry. Waterproof pants usually means you have about a half hour to an hour before your butt gets damp. Weatherproof boots and gloves are a must. Bless Gore-Tex.
Not sure if your the person I said this to last week or not, either way, I'd recommend looking into an automatic chain oiler

I live in Los Banos California and drive a semi truck with a 53ft trailer out of Morgan Hill 4 days a week. I reduced it down to riding home in the rain (I agree starting your work day soaked, sucks) but the least 3 times it was supposed to be scattered showers it was pouring rain (once on the way into work 4 hours before it was supposed to sprinkle) apparently the weather man still gets by with a magic 8 ball. My commute is 99% freeway and last time I rode in the rain, I couldn't see, I had my visor half up and still had limited vision, I just tried "jaws quick spit" and it seems to work very well.
I'm riding again tomorrow but back in the cage Wed/Thurs.

lol, yea, I know the weatherman is often cursed by me too. I remember riding in a few months ago when it was supposed to be clear and having to stop at a Home Depot under the cover to don my rainsuit.

Moved the bike in the one car garage so I could park the vehicle inside. Ten inches of snow overnight...it was in the 70's when I was in Charlotte on Friday to come home to below freezing >.<

I admired the bikes, looked at the weather forecast, and abandoned all hope of riding until March. Screw it; I went snow skiing instead.

Last edited:
Not sure if your the person I said this to last week or not, either way, I'd recommend looking into an automatic chain oiler

you might have. I'm beginning to believe I should get one though! I need to be redpilled on chain oilers, it seems like it could be a bit... messy. Do they eliminate the need to clean the chain every 500mi?

I dug through the forums searching "chain oiler" and I'm not seeing a lot of pro vs con discussion on the oilers. I might just have to start a new thread...

you might have. I'm beginning to believe I should get one though! I need to be redpilled on chain oilers, it seems like it could be a bit... messy. Do they eliminate the need to clean the chain every 500mi?

I dug through the forums searching "chain oiler" and I'm not seeing a lot of pro vs con discussion on the oilers. I might just have to start a new thread...
Yeah it's a bit messy, especially when you first install it and your trying to find that sweet spot
d242e8929b7c0d72eec42d8d3380b593.jpg

I rarely clean my chain and I've only washed my motorcycle two or three times.
But my chain didn't have sticky links it rust problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back