• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, 160.8 miles in heavy gusting winds, enough that I turned around after Marias Pass. It was cold in Marias but heading back it eventually hit 65F, though it still required often tucking to the frunk. That poor road: frost heaves and breakups and potholes and tar fixes that stuck up as much as an inch, with rough edges. At one point I felt quite an impact. After that I was hearing a grinding sound every time I leaned hard to the left. What I found was a 16" stake jammed up through the skid plate's oil drain hole. As hard as I was trying to avoid surface obstacles how did THAT happen? Probably picked it up when I was off the pavement and it took awhile to shift into a position that dragged during leaning. Oh well, beats the alternatives ; }

2020-04-21 15;58;24 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 13;08;17 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 13;21;34 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 13;22;55 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 13;57;27 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 14;37;39 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 14;38;14 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 14;39;05 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 14;39;48 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-04-21 14;47;13 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I laid it down this evening. Gravel road on stock tires was fine until I parked and it rolled off the front tire before o could catch it. Question is do I fix it or wear the battle scar?? View attachment 41954
I kept mine as a reminder. It made the next few drops less painful. I don't want to jinx myself but it has been a few years since I have had a drop. Interesting that it bothers me less and it happens less...sounds like some yoda zen type stuff...

Well I laid it down this evening. Gravel road on stock tires was fine until I parked and it rolled off the front tire before o could catch it. Question is do I fix it or wear the battle scar??
Your decision. You might be able to easily minimize it using an automotive touch-up pencil though. Or do as some musicians do when their instrument takes a hit on the bandstand: cover it with a decal ; }

On my first long ride six days after I got my NC I rode down a bit of non-road and parked like I would with my impervious WR250R; the bike seemed well-planted. I climbed to the top of that outcrop to take photos, followed the cliff line for a few more pics. When I came back I saw that rocks had shifted under the tires and dumped my bike sometime during the session. With the tires uphill it was hella lift to get it back on the rubber. It dented the silencer a bit in one spot and scratched up the side panel. But since it's molded deep charcoal I just later buffed it a bit and hit it with some WD40 ; }

2016-07-17 18;11;50 by greenboy, on Flickr

I did end up riding around with a bent lever for about 5 weeks though ; }

2016-08-21 18;30;09 by greenboy, on Flickr

Your decision. You might be able to easily minimize it using an automotive touch-up pencil though. Or do as some musicians do when their instrument takes a hit on the bandstand: cover it with a decal ; }

On my first long ride six days after I got my NC I rode down a bit of non-road and parked like I would with my impervious WR250R; the bike seemed well-planted. I climbed to the top of that outcrop to take photos, followed the cliff line for a few more pics. When I came back I saw that rocks had shifted under the tires and dumped my bike sometime during the session. With the tires uphill it was hella lift to get it back on the rubber. It dented the silencer a bit in one spot and scratched up the side panel. But since it's molded deep charcoal I just later buffed it a bit and hit it with some WD40 ; }

2016-07-17 18;11;50
by greenboy, on Flickr

I did end up riding around with a bent lever for about 5 weeks though ; }

2016-08-21 18;30;09
by greenboy, on Flickr
Same thing here...the riding was fine; parking it was the problem. I know that just about everyone who rides will eventually dump a bike; but that doesn't take away the sting of doing it yourself when it happens.
I went ahead and ordered the new fairing, but I am sure this won't be the only scuff it will get. I bought it to ride it, to enjoy it, and with that comes the risk of damage. It is not a museum piece, that's what I keep telling myself.
Thanks for sharing the story.

It is not a museum piece, that's what I keep telling myself.
Yeah, road bikes with all the fairing faff foolery do a different number on your head than dualsports and dirt bikes with their easy access to the real guts of the machine and their color-molded flexible yet tough plastic... I quite a bit later did end up masking off my silencer around the dent where it was showing aluminum, and did the area with a Krylon BBQ & Stove spraybomb.

I've never dumped my bike though it did have another accident in a parking lot in the Logan Pass parking lot when I was off hiking and gale-force winds hit the area later in the day. That broke my aftermarket windscreen and my meter bay, and bent the nose framing a little. That was in spite of taking high winds into account and picking a spot especially for that. After that I bought crash bars chosen for their wider stance from the body, not caring about highway slides.

I haven't done a damn thing with mine. Neither has my wife with hers.

And not happy about it either.

Been in the 40's with rain pretty much every day as its "mud season" on the south side of Lake Michigan.

Today may be different. Low 40's now and yesterday's non-stop rain is still on the asphalt, but today it might get up to 62 degrees by 3pm this afternoon. Today we might actually see a peek or two of sunshine. And then it will get cold and rain again. Prediction is for year another below freezing night. But today and tomorrow we could see dry roads, modest temperatures, and maybe a little sunshine. Until the rain rolls back in on Monday late afternoon and the temps drop again.

So I'm hoping to get out. Damn the quarantine. I can safely social distance on a motorcycle.

I haven't done a damn thing with mine. Neither has my wife with hers.

And not happy about it either.

Been in the 40's with rain pretty much every day as its "mud season" on the south side of Lake Michigan.

Today may be different. Low 40's now and yesterday's non-stop rain is still on the asphalt, but today it might get up to 62 degrees by 3pm this afternoon. Today we might actually see a peek or two of sunshine. And then it will get cold and rain again. Prediction is for year another below freezing night. But today and tomorrow we could see dry roads, modest temperatures, and maybe a little sunshine. Until the rain rolls back in on Monday late afternoon and the temps drop again.

So I'm hoping to get out. Damn the quarantine. I can safely social distance on a motorcycle.
You are going to be warmer in Northern Indiana today than Southern Indiana...It is raining now and prediction is only in the mid 50s....be safe.

When the opportunity presents I do winter trips, usually anything above 30F if the lower valley roads permit. Then when the 40s start appearing I usually turn up my nose at anything less. Once the 45s and 50s start appearing I turn up my nose at lesser temperatures. I can take rain and fog and have a great time usually. I guess it depends where you are riding, but definitely the types of jackets pants and gloves are what makes it or breaks it.

Putting up fence and a 12-foot gate most of the day but I did manage to get out for 2 hours just now, 60 degrees and 20 mile-per-hour winds with big gusts.

Wife and I both went out for rides. Strong wind gusts straight out of the south made riding west on a rural highway a bit of a chore, prior to getting on that road we had taken quite a few back roads and wound around. Took a different route back east on a road with more shelter and hills so the ride back toward the house was fun and relaxing. Spend a bit of time going through a small farm town in Illinois, just looking around. The old downtown was completely closed down, not a single shop opened, many vacant. The newer area of town still had some activity, the drive thru ice cream stand was open, along with the gas stations. Pretty strange to see things that way.

Been out a couple of times now since i blew the winter dust off of it and had to replace the battery. I've ran two tanks through it already and hungry for more! Tim Tewster will be at 3-Step Hideaway the entire month of May he msg me if anyone is interested in stopping by and saying hi to everyone. THen around the end of June he mentioned the possibility of heading up this way to ride around(we'll see).

If i can get out and away from work i'd sure like to make a run down to 3-Step for just a couple of days! Hope all have been well through all of this, great to be back in the RDL saddle!! :{)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back