• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 100 km round trip locally on my favourite backroads, adjusting for the amount of leaf mulch around on wet roads. As always, very enjoyable on this bike. The new YSS shock is making a significant difference to lower back comfort.

No Road 5's.... I took off the OEM Dunlop D609's. I had heard that they only last about 4k miles. I probably could have done no more than 5k miles, but the weather is getting cooler and I wanted to get better tires on now. After I get some miles on the new ones, I'll do a follow up.

Finally installed my Oxford heated grips and flapped the handlebar muff so I can control them lol

kUaO4Z8h.jpg

Last edited:
Your tougher than me , If my Oxford heated grips and gloves aren't enough , I drive the car and go skiing. It was in the 50's on my 180 Mile ride yesterday on tight backroads . Spent a little to long @ Uncle Tom's off Wentworth Spring's and had to ride fairly fast down Ice House and 50 to get home by sunset. It Was a fun ride on the Black NC700X DCT , that I installed the foot shift kit , Penske shock and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's on. I scuffed them in more and still didn't drag any hard parts , unlike the Red NC w the stock shock ( It drags pretty hard in left hand turns with compressions )
Also went on a 300+ mile road a week ago down 49 to Sonora ,than 108 over Sonora Pass and north on 395 .Than took Monitor Pass over to Markleville and onto Hwy 88 thru Hope Valley and Carson Pass ( amazing Aspen colors ) than Iron Mtn Rd & back to Pollock Pines

Attachments

• PXL_20221028_231317126.jpg
    PXL_20221028_231317126.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20221028_231335321.jpg
    PXL_20221028_231335321.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221020_191009983.jpg
    PXL_20221020_191009983.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221020_193932499.jpg
    PXL_20221020_193932499.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221021_011500871.jpg
    PXL_20221021_011500871.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221020_214255902.jpg
    PXL_20221020_214255902.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221020_225006262.jpg
    PXL_20221020_225006262.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221020_211318542.jpg
    PXL_20221020_211318542.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I went for a about 100km spin on a day of 15C temperatures but heavy showers looming here and there. There were lots of autumn leaves and mulch on the wet backroads, but its the time of year for them and its good to get accustomed asap. That big black shower got me in the end. I had headed to the coast to get away from it but it circled round and got ahead of me. As soon as I saw there was no escape I headed to the motorway for the last few Kms home. That way the bodywork on the X-Adv worked reasonably well at speed to keep most of the rain off me.

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_E3693.JPG

I went for a about 100km spin on a day of 15C temperatures but heavy showers looming here and there. There were lots of autumn leaves and mulch on the wet backroads, but its the time of year for them and its good to get accustomed asap. That big black shower got me in the end. I had headed to the coast to get away from it but it circled round and got ahead of me. As soon as I saw there was no escape I headed to the motorway for the last few Kms home. That way the bodywork on the X-Adv worked reasonably well at speed to keep most of the rain off me.

View attachment 50728

View attachment 50729
Still looks like a beautiful day with fantastic landscapes! @the Ferret must be rubbing off on me a bit. We did a couple of hundred miles on Saturday through South Central Florida up to Sebring. No rain in the forecast but nonetheless rode for extended periods through downpours. I was sure I had my rain gear in my side cases, but they were in my top case which I decided not to ride with that day.

Still looks like a beautiful day with fantastic landscapes! @the Ferret must be rubbing off on me a bit. We did a couple of hundred miles on Saturday through South Central Florida up to Sebring. No rain in the forecast but nonetheless rode for extended periods through downpours. I was sure I had my rain gear in my side cases, but they were in my top case which I decided not to ride with that day.
and you lived, and if truth be told probably actually enjoyed it ;). (or at least didn't mind it so much once you got a bit wet)

PS It's Florida .... it's going to rain some nearly every day lol. Always pack your rain gear. At least it was probably somewhat warm unlike here where it will be raining and 40 degrees.

Get wet...dry off.

and you lived, and if truth be told probably actually enjoyed it ;). (or at least didn't mind it so much once you got a bit wet)

PS It's Florida .... it's going to rain some nearly every day lol. Always pack your rain gear. At least it was probably somewhat warm unlike here where it will be raining and 40 degrees.

Get wet...dry off.
I’m actually laughing at that (in a good way)! One of my riding buddies looked at me at a stop and told me “just plow through, princess.” That is funny enough on its own because I look strikingly similar to Shrek. Maybe he meant Princess Fiona. I do ride in the rain, though. I just won’t start in the rain. It was a little chilly drying off at speed!

Yea I hate taking off in it (but will). One of the few days I miss are the ones where it's pouring when I wake up and it rains all day until dark. I hate missing a day but like you I hate taking off in a down pour.

Finished off the month with a 50 mile NC ride @ 60 degrees on damp roads (rained all night but quit at daybreak..yea!) Totals for the month 30 of 31 days ridden (the day I missed was the day my wife got her right hip replaced and we spent 12 hours in the hospital and I had to stay with her for 24 hours) rode 1356 miles on the NC 228 miles on the CB, total of 1553 miles for the month. Total for the year so far is 17,155 miles and 267 days riding.

To meet my yearly goal of 300 days and 20,000 miles I need to ride 33 of the next 61 days and 2845 miles.

Just a kids memory but I lived in Florida for a year in 1960, and it seemed to me it rained for a spell every afternoon lol
It does rain a lot in the Sunshine State but Florida does have wet and dry seasons. In north Florida October, November, and December typically have 1/3 to 1/2 the rainfall of June, July and August and it's not unusual to have 2 to 3 week spells of dry weather in what passes for our "fall". In south Florida the wet season can include May and September. I don't mind riding in rain and lots of otherwise good riding days sometimes start off wet.

Looking forward to Your report especially if the previous set were Road 5's ?
I installed a set of Road 6's on my Triumph Tiger Sport 660. The bike came with Road 5's and the front was essentially grip free at 1,600 miles, which coincidentally is the average miles I get out of sport rubber on my NC750X. The OEM rear Road 5 was in such good shape I installed a new Road 6 on the little Triumph and finished that unmatched set off at exactly 3,360 miles. Since moving to the mountains 12 years ago I haven't gotten anything better than 2,800 out of a set of tires on any bike I own except when I tour.

The road 6s are at 2,600 miles right now and they look about half worn at best. Amazing. Gauging the remaining life of a tire is virtually impossible so I will update this thread when the tires actually wear out but the true value of these very expensive tires is they perform as well as anything I have tried to date. And I've tried them all. I have had two pretty good slides in the wet but each one may have been oil slicked surfaces, and the bike recovered predictably. The Road 6's dry grip, turn-in feel, ride compliance and stopping feel is exceptional. I run Dunlop Roadsmart 4's on the NC750X because they were the best combination of all weather grip, wear and performance life of any tire I had tested before the Road 6's came along. I never liked Michelins due to their rapid loss of turn-in feel and soft carcass' susceptibility to punctures. The Road 6's may replace the Dunlop RS4's as the best of the best.

KEB

I installed a set of Road 6's on my Triumph Tiger Sport 660. The bike came with Road 5's and the front was essentially grip free at 1,600 miles, which coincidentally is the average miles I get out of sport rubber on my NC750X. The OEM rear Road 5 was in such good shape I installed a new Road 6 on the little Triumph and finished that unmatched set off at exactly 3,360 miles. Since moving to the mountains 12 years ago I haven't gotten anything better than 2,800 out of a set of tires on any bike I own except when I tour.

The road 6s are at 2,600 miles right now and they look about half worn at best. Amazing. Gauging the remaining life of a tire is virtually impossible so I will update this thread when the tires actually wear out but the true value of these very expensive tires is they perform as well as anything I have tried to date. And I've tried them all. I have had two pretty good slides in the wet but each one may have been oil slicked surfaces, and the bike recovered predictably. The Road 6's dry grip, turn-in feel, ride compliance and stopping feel is exceptional. I run Dunlop Roadsmart 4's on the NC750X because they were the best combination of all weather grip, wear and performance life of any tire I had tested before the Road 6's came along. I never liked Michelins due to their rapid loss of turn-in feel and soft carcass' susceptibility to punctures. The Road 6's may replace the Dunlop RS4's as the best of the best.

KEB

Thanks for that. Tbh I never rate OEM tyres on any bike regardless of make because the motorcycle manufacturers call the shots on specs.

Up to now on my Strom the Road 5's are the best tyres I have ever used. I have Roadsmart 3's on my X-Adv currently and their handling is superb on that bike but the rear has tended to slip occasionally in the wet. I still like them though. I cannot get a rear Road 5 for my X-Adv because of the 15" size.

I still have a set of road 5's to use on my Strom but am looking forward to the swap to road 6's.

Thanks for that. Tbh I never rate OEM tyres on any bike regardless of make because the motorcycle manufacturers call the shots on specs.

Up to now on my Strom the Road 5's are the best tyres I have ever used. I have Roadsmart 3's on my X-Adv currently and their handling is superb on that bike but the rear has tended to slip occasionally in the wet. I still like them though. I cannot get a rear Road 5 for my X-Adv because of the 15" size.

I still have a set of road 5's to use on my Strom but am looking forward to the swap to road 6's.
The Roadsmart 3 was a decent tire and has become a solid value option. The Roadsmart 4 is dramatically superior; easier to install, lighter turn-in, superior grip on any surface and outstanding wear. The RS4 is still the best handling tire at the wear bars I've ever ridden. No small feat. I have burned through 3 sets of them on the NC750x and I am beyond impressed how their performance never drops off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back