• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

6000km on the NC750X DCT and not very happy.

Poll a hundred people and you'll get a hundred answers. I'm sure Honda had data to pick the shift points and your preferences are on the edges of that curve.

This is one of the reason I didn't want a DCT. I wanted to be in absolute control of my shift points. I have rode bikes since I was a small boy and never thought once I hate shifting, just the opposite. There would be plenty of people here that would love to trade you DCT for a manual. Problem solved.

I in no way mean to insult those that have and enjoy they're DCT's. It's just different strokes for different folks and I'm glad Honda kept the manual gearbox as an option.

Well I have changed my mind, I am actually happy with the bike :)
It would be nice if it was possible to setup the DCT to fit everyone taste. I still think it shift to 6 gear to early in D mode, and to late in S mode, but compared to all the positive things about the bike, it is still a winner.

I changed my mind after a 1200km trip to Germany, and have to say that the bike is great. We did drive on small roads to Germany and autobahn back again, and it did the journey perfect.
It is really great if you want to "go some where", where focus it trouble free ride, no s... and just get there.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm Mark from Rome (ITA) and are brand new to this forum. I joined because you're the only one who mentioned the SpeedoHealer on the NC750. I would buy a unit because I mounted a pinion 16 and I wonder if you have it installed on your bike. If you did you tell me if it is easy to assemble? Where is delsensore connector? Would you be able to send me pictures on my E-Mail? Thank you for your attention

You may want to try out a newer model year with multiple sport modes. I'm not sure what year your bike is but the 2016 has three sport modes in addition to the normal drive mode. I've driven all three sport modes and I prefer S2 because S1 is not aggressive enough on the shift points gears 3-6 and S3 is too aggressive on gears 1-3 based on how I ride. I think this was Honda's answer to people complaining about the shift points in the first place.

You may want to try out a newer model year with multiple sport modes. I'm not sure what year your bike is but the 2016 has three sport modes in addition to the normal drive mode. I've driven all three sport modes and I prefer S2 because S1 is not aggressive enough on the shift points gears 3-6 and S3 is too aggressive on gears 1-3 based on how I ride. I think this was Honda's answer to people complaining about the shift points in the first place.

I find I do actually use all 3 modes of the sport setting. depends on my mood and road conditions.
Mike

Four drive selections?

Wow! I don't wanna trade and lose money but would like an "in-between" and calculated MPG.
OHHHHH first world choices..........

I really hope that some one make a piece of electronic in the future that can move shifting points. I guess that the shift computer is getting signals from throttle, rpm and speed, by modifying these values it should be possible to change the shift points, just like the speedohealer do to the speedometer.

Here's a quote from MotorCycleNews that might put some light on your problem. I have the 2016 version, and while I am not an experienced biker, I really like the way the DCT works in sport mode.

"Changes to the DCT see the same D mode which never feels that nice to ride as the bike instantly changes up the highest possible ratio to conserve fuel but there are now three S-modes too. S1 is mildly more sporty than D and is good around town. S2 is sportier still and suits a good cross country pace, holding onto the revs longer and downchanging earlier too. S3 is only really good for when you are pressing on and makes life very easy. It all works a lot better than the outgoing DCT set-up. The clutch set-up has now been changed to give a smoother take off from a standing start."

I have the 2016 version, and while I am not an experienced biker, I really like the way the DCT works in sport mode.

I too have the 2016 version with the three S modes. I have only ever used the S1 and it suits me fine. However, the owner's manual suggests on p.39 that the DCT shift points can be changed in the computer - or did I read that wrong?

riding the dct recently on slippery salty greasy UK roads, it occurred to me that we couldn't ask for a more appropriate mode than D-mode. It's better than the fancy 'Rain' mode offered by some makes.
Mike

The "D" mode is designed for fuel economy so it's understandable why it upshifts at 2000 RPM and doesn't downshift until you're at a walking pace.

In regards to the last point, when rounding a corner in a town I always downshift manually to 3th before the corner so it seems much more natural when I accelerate away from the corner. Getting accustomed to the DCT takes time and perhaps some people never make the transition because of old habits?

I have had a 2016 nc750x with DCT for a year now. At first I had no intentions of buying a DCT. I like doing my own shifting. However I liked the bike and my dealer only had a DCT so I test drove it. I immediatly fell in love with it. For commuting to and from work in a large city it makes sense to me not to have to shift. Plus I understand it a lot better now. It is geared for crazy high mileage even in city driving. On good runs I have averaged 3.1 L/100km. Secondly the S (sports) mode is alot closer to how I would shift. Mileage drops but the bike is alot more aggressive in that mode. Thirdly it does have a manual mode and while this definately takes some getting used to (still no clutching) you do have control over the shift-up points and to some degree the shift down points (if you are late the DCT will still auto down shift). So while not a manual transmission Honda does give us some control if we want it. But honestly in the city I have gotten used to just leaving it in D mode because the mileage is so good.

(The mileage stated above is rare. The bike averages 3.5 in the city normally, but when really careful and wind is at your back I can get it down to 3.1 on rare occasions)

Last edited:
thanks for sharing, good info - can you tell me, does it hit the rev limiter then on 'manual' mode or does it eventually auto shift up there as well ???

Also, how do you like it so far? have you done any 2 up? how does it handle in high winds and cross winds? thanks!

Although I haven't tried, my guess is that the shift computer will upshift automatically before you get to the rev limiter and also on manual downshifts, it won't accept a manual downshift command that put the engine in the redline.

Although I haven't tried, my guess is that the shift computer will upshift automatically before you get to the rev limiter and also on manual downshifts, it won't accept a manual downshift command that put the engine in the redline.

good to know, still waiting to get my brand new '17 model... hopefully you still enjoy yours!

Errrrm no. In manual mode you will bounce off the rev limiter which feels horrible and the gearbox will not change up itself
Mine is fine in crosswinds. Headwinds can slow it down and sometimes the auto box will change down into 5th if it makes the engine labour
I find riding into a strong headwind causes bad buffeting but that's because I like to ride at 70 and if there's a strong headwind it's just the same as riding at 90 in nil wind - uncomfortable on a bike that isn't fully faired
Mike

Errrrm no. In manual mode you will bounce off the rev limiter which feels horrible and the gearbox will not change up itself
Mine is fine in crosswinds. Headwinds can slow it down and sometimes the auto box will change down into 5th if it makes the engine labour
I find riding into a strong headwind causes bad buffeting but that's because I like to ride at 70 and if there's a strong headwind it's just the same as riding at 90 in nil wind - uncomfortable on a bike that isn't fully faired
Mike

do you have the stock windshield on the 2016 NC750X ?

do you have the stock windshield on the 2016 NC750X ?

At the moment I am riding with a stock screen and a vario lip addition. I also have a cut down standard screen and I modified a pre-2016 screen to fit, and I have tried all combinations with Bruddit screen adjusters. I have also tried it with no screen at all and this provided the smoothest ride.
I haven't given up yet though. I am trying to obtain a 20inch Madstad screen with winglet deflectors but the UK agent say that Madstad haven't produced a kit for the 2016 bike yet. My reading of other threads on here seem to indicate the UK agent is wrong.
Mike

Back