• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

8,000 mile service

Guess I got a deal. Just valve adj (no oil change). Was 1 hr shop time ($75/hr) and 2 qt of coolant plus tax. Was just over $100 for the adj. For that price they can do all the valve checks
You did get a deal! If the mechanic is qualified (certified), then stay with him.

I paid about 190 at my Honda Dealer for the 600 mile service. And about the same for 4000. Is the 8000 that much more labor intensive?

Well.. .when I look at the manual, I see a service (first oil change) at 600 miles... then the next service (oil change and valve check) at 8,000.
It's probably fine to have one at 4,000 too, I suppose.

Checking the valves (whatever those are) requires removing the radiator (according to the manual) and the engine cover. It's the same amount of labor as if you were going to adjust not just check them.... and that's the point really, you do adjust if you check and see them out of adjustment.

I don't know what I'm talking about.. anymore.. I'm at a place tonight where I wish I'd never bought the damn thing!
What was I thinking?

Yeah I was looking at the manual, what service did you get for the 4,000 miles? What did you have done?

That is more than I paid for a 6K mile service on my BMW. One of the reasons I am about to buy a NCX was to cut down on maintenance costs. I think I will go check with the dealer about the costs of these service intervals.

I would also note that despite you getting an 8K km service on your bike I've never even seen one in the wild.

OK..my beloved "MAC" is back from the Honda dealer. I can see the smudges of something black where the mechanic resealed things after removing the engine cover to examine the valves.

That is a disturbing observation. It was my understanding that no sealant should or need be applied at the head cover interface. The service manual reports that a new cover "packing" should be installed, but I understood this to be a reusable gasket. No sealant is specified for this gasket.

Can someone who has done the valve check confirm that the gasket is reusable and should have no sealant? I'll be doing my valve check this fall.

Greg

Last edited:
I have HONDABIKEPRO's dealership within an hour's ride so I'll be taking my bike to him when the time arrives. I know I'll get fair pricing and the highest quality work at his dealership.

That is a disturbing observation. It was my understanding that no sealant should or need be applied at the head cover interface. The service manual reports that a new cover "packing" should be installed, but I understood this to be a reusable gasket. No sealant is specified for this gasket.

Can someone who has done the valve check confirm that the gasket is reusable and should have no sealant? I'll be doing my valve check this fall.
Greg

I printed out your remarks, but I'm pretty sure my mechanic will just be defensive if I show them... still might do it anywa....
I get so fed up with engines and mechanics.... I'm ever at the mercy of the mechanic at whatever dealership I'm at.

I could go somewhere else, but I still wouldn't know (as in this example) what was done right and what was not.
sigh...

I printed out your remarks, but I'm pretty sure my mechanic will just be defensive if I show them... still might do it anywa....
I get so fed up with engines and mechanics.... I'm ever at the mercy of the mechanic at whatever dealership I'm at.

I could go somewhere else, but I still wouldn't know (as in this example) what was done right and what was not.
sigh...

I'm not saying it definitely was done wrong. Your observation was just cause for surprise/concern. Perhaps what you saw was not actually sealant, or perhaps they use sealant even if it's not called for by Honda based on some past experience. Or, maybe I'm totally wrong and sealant is required. However, no additional sealant is mentioned in the Honda service manual. I was just hoping someone who had done the task can verify for me that the head cover is simply installed with a reusable gasket with no sealant required.

Greg

OK..my beloved "MAC" is back from the Honda dealer. I can see the smudges of something black where the mechanic resealed things after removing the engine cover to examine the valves. Apparently all was well with the valves... his only recommendation was that I watch the tire wear. I still have the stock tires after 8000 miles, and they are beginning to show some wear.
My dealer didn't seem to mind me bringing my own oil an filter. I think I'll stay with those guys.

Next on my list? Michelin PR3 tires front and back.

They should have replaced the gasket, not applied a sealant. Are you sure that's not grease from their hands / gloves lingering on the surface?

No one cares about my bike or my safety more than me. I do all the work on my home/cars/boat/appliances/bikes. I do the warranty work, too, if it doesn't involve me paying for a costly part that the OEM should provide. If I don't know how to do something I learn.

The benefits:
I am a better educated, more independent person because of it.
I save money so I can invest/spend it elsewhere.
I am confident the the service work is done properly.
The machine is usually out of service for a shorter period of time.

Greg

You have to realize that there are going to be things that even you can't do. Lets take for example your car. Do you do your own wheel alignment? Do you service your air conditioning? How about installing and balancing your own car tires? We are all at the "mercy" of a technician at some point. The key to to find the honest ones that perform quality work. Don't get me wrong, if a person has the ability and skill to tackle the job have at it but the truth is most don't have the time, proper equipment and knowledge. Maintenance on the NC is something that most, if willing can do and should. It's part of the enjoyment for most of us and gives the owner a "understanding" of his bike. Some thing like valve adjustment is something many won't be comfortable doing.

Some thing like valve adjustment is something many won't be comfortable doing.

Rugbug, A valve adjustment is something anyone can do with the most minumum of tools. And, it's something we ALL should be able and willing to do. (Personal viewpoint).
Your other points are valid. There will be things we want done by the "professionals".

Strats- You said earlier that if you had 670cc's tools you could (or would?) be willing to do the job. For (what was it?) $340 , you could buy the manual and all the tools and the fluids to do the job AND have money left over (for other tools!).

Just saying... when it comes time, and it's not too far away, I'll be doing doing my own work. I learned to adjust valves on old VW's, it's the same with these NC's and if I can do it, anyone can.

You have to realize that there are going to be things that even you can't do. Lets take for example your car. Do you do your own wheel alignment? Do you service your air conditioning? How about installing and balancing your own car tires? We are all at the "mercy" of a technician at some point. The key to to find the honest ones that perform quality work. Don't get me wrong, if a person has the ability and skill to tackle the job have at it but the truth is most don't have the time, proper equipment and knowledge. Maintenance on the NC is something that most, if willing can do and should. It's part of the enjoyment for most of us and gives the owner a "understanding" of his bike. Some thing like valve adjustment is something many won't be comfortable doing.

I do service my car to the extent of my ability and tools. I do service the air conditioning. I've changed evaporator cores and recharged ACs. No car I have owned in the last 20-25 years has gone to a mechanic. In fact I think I've taken a personally owned car to a mechanic maybe four times in my lifetime. I do keep the vehicles awhile, too. The current one has 167000 miles and I have never taken it to a mechanic.

However for car tire changes I take only the wheels in and have them mount/balance the tires since it's relatively inexpensive (but I do my own motorcycle tires). And let me tell you I have had many issues with car tire mount jobs. Tires put on backwards, wheel weights that fell off right away, etc. When I'm at the mercy of the mechanic, unfortunately many things go wrong. And, I'd hate to see things go wrong with the motorcycle.

I see your point though. Not everyone has the skill, tools, time to fix their machines. And that's why mechanics have jobs.

Last edited:
I see your point though. Not everyone has the skill, tools, time to fix their machines. And that's why mechanics have jobs.

Or the main reason (I think) a PLACE to do it. Right now, I have a 30' X 50' shop/gym. I have lived in places with no garage at all or just a garage for the wife's car. No way would she park outside (are you kidding me?) so I could put my vehicle in her car's spot for (HOW LONG?).....

I think most men, given a place to "play" , will. Here's my man cave. The gym part is dedicated to an exercise class I teach for my church. The other half....represents my life (messy).
Shop half-

Play half-

Or the main reason (I think) a PLACE to do it. Right now, I have a 30' X 50' shop/gym. I have lived in places with no garage at all or just a garage for the wife's car. No way would she park outside (are you kidding me?) so I could put my vehicle in her car's spot for (HOW LONG?).....

Very good point that I missed. I have had a garage and/or shop at every place I've lived so I failed to realize that some people don't. Having no place to work would definitely kill routine DIY service.

You gotta love the post frame buildings. So much space for relatively low cost. Mine is about like yours: 36' x 48'.

Last edited:
Back