• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anemic stock horn

Reaction score
Visit site
You may all laugh at me, but it might help someone... :p

I have a TwistedThrottle skid plate, that may be important.

As I have posted before I was trying to hide a Stebel nautilus compact in the fake air duct and failed. So while I was putting the stock horn back on I wanted to make sure that it did not matter which way the connectors are plugged in so I tested the horn before I bolted it back onto the horn bracket. Press the horn button, and get a fright it is so loud. Maybe it's because I am in the garage, but it seems louder than before.

So I tighten the nut, test,... Anemic spund, just like before. Loosen the nut, nice and loud, tighten it, anemic. So I play around with it a little and theorize that by tightening the horn it can no longer vibrate and sounds like a wheezing fart pillow. I put a plastic washer between the horn and the bracket, but it's still pathetic.

I find a foam washer and put that on, leaving it loose enough to be loud and just thread lock the nut on.

Is it a Stebel killer? Nope! Is it louder than before! Most definitely.

That's an interesting find. Apparently the horn mount has a lot to do with performance. If you buy a standard disk type car horn with a flat bar for a mounting bracket, the instructions tell you that you must use the (unmodified) bracket supplied to mount the horn. Apparently it is an integral part of the system to allow the horn to vibrate properly.

The only decent horn on any of my four bikes is on the 28 year old Dominator. Even it is not up to much. The other three are rubbish. The KTM can barely manage a "groan" depending on the weather. The Triumph "squeaks", and we know what the NC does.

I think there is a lot of unused space under the plastic panels on the side of the Frunk. Perhaps a decent horn could be mounted in there with its trumpet facing open space underneath. Just a thought.

Back