• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Blew a fuse...why?

tromba

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding for the first time since 5/20 (knee surgery). At some point the display went blank. I was very close to my dealership soon just stopped by and they found that I had blown a fuse. What would cause that during routine riding?

I was riding for the first time since 5/20 (knee surgery). At some point the display went blank. I was very close to my dealership soon just stopped by and they found that I had blown a fuse. What would cause that during routine riding?

Is there another circuit tied in to your dash panel??? Or you got a short and caused that fuse to blow.

Ken

Most times fuse blows something has overloaded. However, sometimes they just blow, and no one ever figures out why. Replace fuse, carry extras, if it does it again it is time to pull out the volt meter. I hate to say this but "most times it is an added accessory, and that is not covered under the warranty.

could be an opportunity to show where the fuse box is and how to replace a fuse?

As I recall, one uses a pair of needle nose pliars to replace a fuse on a car..Is that the same for the NC700x?
I confess I don't know where the fuse box is.
(though,I do have the service manual and might find it if I looked in the index under "fuse")

@ Beemer. I have no extra load as my bike is stock except for givi bags and bark busters.

Since I was out, and it's under warranty, I just drove it by the dealership so only they know which fuse had blown.

@ Beemer. I have no extra load as my bike is stock except for givi bags and bark busters.

Since I was out, and it's under warranty, I just drove it by the dealership so only they know which fuse had blown.

Gotta be the bark busters shorting out ......... :) :) :) If I were you I would definitely find out what circute went South... Glad you are feeling well enough to ride!

Gotta be the bark busters shorting out ......... :) :) :) If I were you I would definitely find out what circute went South... Glad you are feeling well enough to ride!

Careful.........very careful......never over look any owner (or dealer mods) modifications..........would not be the first time someone pinched a handle bar wire harness under a "barkbuster clamp" or any other potential pinch point like Givi bag mounts and rear wiring.

Not "say in" thats the problem here but it is possible.
i

Last edited:
I'm surprised your dealership helped you. Mine tells me there's nothing wrong without even looking at it, they are that good! His carburated rc51 does it so it must be normal...
Edit: sorry still alittle sour from my last visit lol. Why can't these Japanese shops figure out customer service?

You mean those shops run by Americans? Because Japanese shops in Japan run by Japanese have an excellent reputation for customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised your dealership helped you. Mine tells me there's nothing wrong without even looking at it, they are that good! His carburated rc51 does it so it must be normal...
Edit: sorry still alittle sour from my last visit lol. Why can't these Japanese shops figure out customer service?

Must be a Florida thing since my Honda shop's middle name is service.

Last edited by a moderator:
could be an opportunity to show where the fuse box is and how to replace a fuse?

As I recall, one uses a pair of needle nose pliars to replace a fuse on a car..Is that the same for the NC700x?
(though,I do have the service manual and might find it if I looked in the index under "fuse")

There is a plastic thing in the toolkit that is a fuse puller. It is easy to overlook and throw away not knowing what it is.

I know where, and how to replace a fuse. Since I was close I just decided to stop by. Mungenast Motorsports in STL has always been helpful. However, I have also bought 2 cars and the NC from Mungenast dealerships. I think they want me to be happy...

Mungenast car and bike dealers have a great reputation for taking care of their customers........and they are American too, but sell some quality products from Japan.

The bike dealer is one of the Honda first dealers to take Honda on in the begining.

where are the fuses?
How does one check them? (how can you tell if one is blown or not?)
How does one replace them?

The fuse box is next to the battery, behind the front (rubber band holding) panel in the trunk. You can tell a fuse is blown when something stops working, or you can check them by pulling them out and looking at them. In a blown fuse the filament (?) will be broken, and the fuse may be discolored. Sometimes you can't see it and you'll need to use a volt meter to check for continuity. (You'll have to google that one) For replacing, just pull it out, check it, and if bad, slide a new one in. There is one spare of each amperage in the fuse box cover. Your local wally world or auto parts store probably has a very small selection of this size fuse, but either will probably be cheaper than the honda dealer.

I have to agree with you mike, the Japanese are great, honest people. I left a expense camera sitting on a table in the Sony building, a 80 year old woman chased me 4 blocks to make sure I got that camera back. Where else in the world can you have vending machines on the public streets down town. But, I still have trouble with it being bad manners to look someone in the eye when talking to them, just a Texan hang up I guess.

I test fuses with a 12v test light, some fuses have to be tested while in use, others, you just have to have the ignition on, to energize.

I have had a fuse fail from vibration.

Back