• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT What Do We Think?

pahondafan

Reaction score
Visit site
Not much is heard from us DCT owners about what we think about the DCT. What is there to say? It does what it's supposed to do and most of us probably forget it's there after a while. But I think we SHOULD talk about it.

There are people who come to this forum to see if NC owners like their bikes and what problems they might be having. If all they ever see is "my clutch lever is sticking"** etc. they are only getting half the story.

I love my DCT. What amazes me sometimes is how I roll away from a stop and before I travel 15 feet I am in 5th gear. I pretty much always use "Drive" mode. With my style of riding sport mode seems to feel like the engine is straining and wants to shift but can't. I also like the fact that I can shift down with one push of my thumb if I am going down a long hill and I don't want to ride the brake. Slowing too much? just shift up with my finger. I have not tried the manual mode yet. maybe someday.

So let's hear from the rest of you. Not just the good, if you don't like something, say that too.

**just an example, no dig against manual bikes.

I love my DCT. Agreed about D mode... you are in 6 gear around 45.. Plus on decals if feels kind of clunky on down shifts. Sports mode is much better with the shifting and I love it for entering the freeway. Manual mode is pretty sweet too!

FYI, I also got my side bags installed today and just put on my new Puig touring windshield! I will post pics tomorrow after my ride to Big Bear.

D

When I first got the DCT I used D mode for just puttin around & S mode for more spirited riding. In D mode I found myself manually downshifting to slow down for stops and the bike just seemed sluggish. The bike was always in a higher gear than what I really wanted. So I now ride almost exclusively in S mode. It holds the gears longer when accelerating and downshifts at the right time, for me, when slowing down. This hasn't hurt my gas mileage...I regularly get 75 mpg!
I have used the manual mode, but found it unnecessary unless you're in switchbacks on steep terrain.
I love this bike!

For me D mode is absolutely useless
How you can ride, if sometimes it switches to 3rd at 15 mph and 6 at 35
6th gear at 35 mph

I hope Honda has way to upgrade firmware
and will do in the future

S mode sometimes switches gears late
but in D is wayyyy too early

For me D mode is absolutely useless
How you can ride, if sometimes it switches to 3rd at 15 mph and 6 at 35
6th gear at 35 mph

I hope Honda has way to upgrade firmware
and will do in the future

S mode sometimes switches gears late
but in D is wayyyy too early

I'm sure glad Honda gave us a choice of modes because what you describe as a negative in D mode is what I actually love about it. All the intersections around here are covered with quarry dust (actually the size of pea gravel) and if I tried to turn while accelerating in low gear I would quickly be on my ass. In D I can easily make a low speed upright turn as the bike is upshifting (there is no lurch) and as soon as I am straightened out apply enough throttle for a downshift and take off. I haven't experienced the jerky downshifts during decel. or unexpected upshifts during turns that I have seen described in the magazine reviews. It just seems to suit my style perfectly.

Keep the comments coming.

Love my DCT!
"D" mode is never used (I don't commute on it), cause I feel it is lugging the engine unless you REALLY TWIST the throttle or intervene with the gear drop.
"S" is great for most of my riding. And I use "Manual" too quite a bit :) Depends on the road and my mood...

Last edited:
I still think D is useless

Why Honda bother to have 6 gears
if it switches from 1 to 6 within 40 mph
and after that from 40 to 100 you left just with one gear

By that logic, gearbox should be with just 3 gears instead of 6

Manual and S work fine

But in D, I always feel like engine is under rev and struggles

Really hope Honda will adjust that

AZ

I still think D is useless

Why Honda bother to have 6 gears
if it switches from 1 to 6 within 40 mph
and after that from 40 to 100 you left just with one gear

By that logic, gearbox should be with just 3 gears instead of 6

Manual and S work fine

But in D, I always feel like engine is under rev and struggles

Really hope Honda will adjust that

AZ

Fuel economy. Same reason new cars with auto trans are coming out with 8 gears, when 4 gears worked before. Idea is to keep the revs low no mater how fast you are going.

For commuting I find D mode perfect. Light throttle, not going anywhere in a hurry anyways. I've only used S mode twice so far. Both time I was on curvy switchback roads.

I find the Dual Clutch Transmission near perfect.

That, to me, is the beauty of the DCT. It's perfect for some and every one of the issues I've read here can be resolved by changing modes, shifting manually or becoming more proficient on this bike.
IMHO Honda doesn't need to adjust anything!

a view of DCT from the manual guy...

Today, I had to follow a DCT up to Big Bear Lake on twisting turning, climbing, roads. I also had to work twice as hard, as I was forever deciding what geart to be in! while my DCT friend just breezed up the mountain!

DCT... is indeed a great bit of engineering.

Always been a manual rider, This was the first time I ever tried a DCT/automatic clutchless transmission and have to say I will never go back to manual again. Why stress with all the clutch and gears when you can just chill and enjoy the ride. I know all you other folks are going to say that motorbiking is about clutch and gears.... however having owned Hayabusa's, R1200's and every type of bike under the sun- I will make a bold statement and say that the NC700 x is by far the best bike I have owned.

Pro's of DCT -effortless riding, economy, No extra clutch or gear levers, different mode of riding available, gear shift indicators, Handbrake!

Cons - something missing on the left handle bar! after the 5th gear in drive mode the bike almost loses grunt in 6th and feels like something is missing.

I have tried other DCT versions on other Honda's i.e the Crosstourer and have to say the DCT on the NC is perfect.

I use this bike for commuting and have to say that the ever useful Frunk, twist and go DCT and fuel economy just sum up this awesome motorcycle which I could never replace.

One thing I would love to change is have another brake lever on the left handle bar rather than a footbrake and the bike would be prefect

Last edited:
I'm sure that I'm not the only one old enough to remember when Automatic transmissions and power steering were expensive options on cars. I'm only going back as far as the '60s. People then said many of the same things that are said about bikes because to drive a car back then was much more of a mechanical experience than it is now. Where are the kick-starters and carburetors and who is missing them in everyday riding? I'm not sure if this is the time in motorcycle history that will turn the tide but I'd say it's the best chance so far. The mechanicals work well, the bikes look good and the price is not out of the ball park. I'll bet you that Yamaha is watching this very closely.

One thing I would love to change is have another brake lever on the left handle bar rather than a footbrake and the bike would be prefect
I understand the Integra version has a left hand rear brake and some across the pond have adapted the parts to the NC700X. Not sure if parallel to foot brake or replacing it.

Last edited:
I understand the Integra version has a left hand rear brake and some across the pond have adapted the parts to the NC700X. Not sure if parallel to foot brake or replacing it.

I might be interested in that. It was great having that on my scooter. The brake line is probably the only non standard part.

Question: is the rear foot brake hydraulic?

So I just got my bike yesterday and have 115 miles on it, so I preface my statements with the fact that this is a very early critique.

Love it so far. I had manuals about 10-15 years ago when I was younger and wanted to blast past everyone and risk killing myself on every ride :) Now I'm more chilled out and just want to enjoy the ride.

I agree with a lot of people's comments. The DCT is for people who just want to be able to hop on a bike, relax and enjoy the ride being able to focus more on your surroundings without thinking about shifting... well still think about it, but it's different cause it's just a click to either up or downshift. This bike is not a monster and not meant to race, but that doesn't mean it isn't fast and won't get up and go. In a world where almost all around you will be cars, you will still be able to pass easily.

I do feel that it kind of lugs at times, but not being familiar with the lower gearing this bike is designed for, I don't know if it is actually what one would judge to be "lugging" or not. The last stretch of my ride I discovered that leaving it in D I could kinda over ride the D and still up and down shift, which seemed to correct the situation where I wanted it in a lower gear for just a bit coming out of a turn.

Questions I have:

Anyone know how to lock a second helmet on? Didn't see a D ring lock under the gas tank seat or the trunk lid.

Recommendations on a specific tank bag that goes great on the NC?

Any experimented with D and S as far as gas mileage?

Anyone seen the NC700S? 2012 Honda NC700SA Review
I believe it's only available in Europe but I kinda like the look of the front. I'm wondering what it would cost, if it's even possible, to modify the X to that shorter front?

Love the comments, keep em coming :)

D mode fits me like a glove for the congested roads I travel. Can use 5th and 6th gears most of the time, while it was 3rd and 4th on gixxer. However, I wish there are 2 more gears for highway overdrive.

Back