• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First ride to work

SuppressedShooter

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider, got my NC for a commuter during nice weather and fun rides. Had 243 miles on it and decided yesterday was the day. It was cool 47f on the way in but in the 60s on the way home. I did fine I just took my time and rode below or at the speed limit. I have a 32 mile round trip to work. Might need a new seat sometime tho, that thing is hard lol.

Welcome to soar butt riders club ;)
I agree - this bike is fantastic for commuting! Can't wait to get some temperatures near 45 in the morning, so far it's barely 41 in the afternoon, a little too cold for tire grip me thinks.

Anyway, enjoy your new bike - I'm sure you'll like it :)

I'm a new rider, got my NC for a commuter during nice weather and fun rides. Had 243 miles on it and decided yesterday was the day. It was cool 47f on the way in but in the 60s on the way home. I did fine I just took my time and rode below or at the speed limit. I have a 32 mile round trip to work. Might need a new seat sometime tho, that thing is hard lol.
Welcome. Where are you in Kentucky? I work in Louisville and my round trip work commute is 76 miles. Deckyon who is on this site lives in the Louisville area.

Regular Height or Low height. If you don't have issues with touching the ground with the stock seat, get the regular. I can't speak for the low option. Great out of the box, even better after a little breaking in. Night and day from the stock seat.

I'd love to commute, but I ride ATGATT and work in an office environment, so having to haul clothes and change is a PITA.

You are way over in North Eastern Kentucky....

I'd love to commute, but I ride ATGATT and work in an office environment, so having to haul clothes and change is a PITA.
I wear a uniform at work so I wear it in and overpants and riding jacket, gloves, helmet and work boots. But planning on getting a pair of dedicated riding boots.

what is ATGATT?

ATGATT: All the gear, all the time. Shorthand for a philosophy that complete motorcycle safety gear should be worn at all times, and gear should not be reduced at times when the perceived risk is less.

I wear a 1 piece Aerostitch riding suit, then gloves, riding boots, and helmet.

This all goes on over my regular/work clothes. The suit can fit in one side bag (Pelican 1550 case), and boots/gloves/change of shoes or clothes etc. can fit in the other side case. All I do is change my shoes when I arrive (next to the bike), put my suit away, carry in my helmet, and I'm good. Takes maybe 3-4 minutes to get everything on and off before riding. If I didn't store anything in the Frunk and wear a camera/bluetooth on the helmet I could even fit it in the Frunk and not carry anything at all!

It seriously makes ATGATT + commuting very convenient for me. I'll probably never regularly ride a motorcycle without large enough side bags to store my suit, it's just so integral to it and makes it so I can ride to church, friend's houses, anywhere.

If I didn't have this setup, then the bike would definitely just be a weekend hobby and I wouldn't get nearly as much out of it.

I also considered Motoport mesh kevlar gear, which seemed to offer equal or better abrasion protection - but I wanted 1 set of equipment that was pretty much everything I needed year round (except layers underneath). Caught in the rain? Doesn't matter you're already water proof with the 'stitch. The mesh gear is very likely more comfortable in 80-100 degree weather though. I just didn't want to mess with water proof liners and stuff; if I got caught in the rain I'd be soaked by the time I got it on... Also, the mesh kevlar was more expensive.

I was able to take advantage of the once yearly beginning of the season sale at Aerostitch HQ in Duluth, MN last year (in store only) to save off any new suit, and I think it was over 50% off used/returned stuff! I got an old returned suit for a steal, and it matches the bike (grey/black). If you're able to drive in for it, I'd recommend it! If nothing else you get a cheaper new suit, meet the staff and take a tour, and get fitted in person to get it done right. There were some people out from California just for this, kinda fun to talk to the riders there.

I'm not surprised, but disappointed at how few people ride with good gear. I'm literally the only rider I personally know who wears full protection (have 3-4 friends who ride, dad and some of his friends ride, etc.). I've never seen another guy my age with full gear on (mid 20s). It didn't take me long working in an ER to decide to invest in the best and suit up!

nice, I also lived in KY (J-town) now Im in FL

I loved to get on Gene Snyder and ride some of the back rds to Bardstown,Radcliff etc...

Snipped..........I'm not surprised, but disappointed at how few people ride with good gear. I'm literally the only rider I personally know who wears full protection (have 3-4 friends who ride, dad and some of his friends ride, etc.). I've never seen another guy my age with full gear on (mid 20s). It didn't take me long working in an ER to decide to invest in the best and suit up!
Amen! I get questions now and then from someone in a tee shirt and jeans....perhaps the popular "Aren't you hot in that get-up?" I say "It's easier to take a shower than grow new skin".

Back