• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a pair of MT60rs but on on Friday. Saturday, I picked up a roofing staple in rear of coarse. Setting at dealer waiting for a Tkc to be put on rear. A lot more sand then I remember in Az. Front Tkc on order.

May I ask what caused you to abandon the MT60's in basically a single day or less? Was it this sand that you refer to? Don't like how they feel in it?

Did you play with air pressures in the tires or anything?

thanks.

Had a pair of MT60rs but on on Friday. Saturday, I picked up a roofing staple in rear of coarse. Setting at dealer waiting for a Tkc to be put on rear. A lot more sand then I remember in Az. Front Tkc on order.

I am interested to see the TKC rear if you don't mind posting a pic of it. I had considered a TKC front and a Heidenau rear after I finish up the MT60r's I have in the shop.

Last edited:
... Saturday, I picked up a roofing staple in rear of coarse...

I sympathize. I noticed something almost shiny in my 2000+ mile old rear stock tire. Pulled it out, plugged the hole with strips & glue. So far, so good, but only about 6 hours and maybe 50 miles on the repair so far...

Attachments

• Surprise.jpg
    Surprise.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 273
BttrThnWrk, First and foremost, replace that tire now, now, now. At one point I worked for George Edwards, the man was THE expert in all things tire. His living was as a tire expert in legal cases and if I learned anything from the man its that a minor damaged tire needs to be replaced as quickly as possible, a badly damaged tire need to be replaced now, never patched or filled with air. Believe me from your photo, that is a badly damaged tire. Even if that was what they call a plug-patch I wouldn't ride any farther than the nearest replacement. Just saying...be careful and safe.

Last edited:
Bought my ST back in 2006 took it out for a shake down on that Friday, then a long ride with my wife on Saturday. Checked tire pressures and all fluids. Saturday did about 250 mile with her on the back, including a "horsepower test" on the interstate. A week or so later went to check the tire pressure, which was still set at 40lbs and noticed not one, not two, but three plugs had been put in it before I purchased the bike. I have used plugs in all kinds of tires and they have never let me down. Had one in my truck tire for two years. That being said, I replaced the tire that day, something about only having two makes me nervous.

I have not a clue how to post a pick from my I pad. Tire pressure: I have bent a few cast wheels. I like street pressure. Of coarse the first place I tried had 6" or deeper sand with the mt60s. I tried pretty hard to bury it. (Plus it has been a while for deep sand). The Tkc is taller. The speedo reads 1 mile under the GPS. I tried to plug the Mt, but the steel belt would not let the mushroom type plug seal. Plus because it was a staple I would have to use two. The Tkc was in stock.

BttrThnWrk, First and foremost, replace that tire now, now, now. At one point I worked for George Edwards, the man was THE expert in all things tire. His living was as a tire expert in legal cases and if I learned anything from the man its that a minor damaged tire needs to be replaced as quickly as possible, a badly damaged tire need to be replaced now, never patched or filled with air. Believe me from your photo, that is a badly damaged tire. Even if that was what they call a plug-patch I wouldn't ride any farther than the nearest replacement. Just saying...be careful and safe.

"...careful and safe" sounds like good advice to me. Thanks.

I was going to ask you who George Edwards is (was), but a quick Google search revealed his widely regarded expertise.

However, since I've pretty much got none of that expertise myself, I'd like to ask both WHY the tire should be replaced, and WHY it looks badly damaged to you (it just looks "plain old" damaged to me, but what do I know?). Serious questions, not picking - the more I know, the better I can do next time.

TIA.

No problemo Dude, First any penetration through the carcass of the tire is bad because it makes a weak spot and the act of plugging it if done the way the plug manufacturers suggest (reaming the hole to clean and rough it up) actually does more damage to the penetration. Also only a patch-plug has enough strength to really hold up through heat cycles and safely hold air. The Dual Head 16d nail that up were holding has a large enough diameter and the cutting edges of the point that allow it to work so well in wood, can cause damage to the internal steel belts. It only takes a nick of the belts and minor moisture infiltration to set up rust in the steel belts. I have photographed tires that looked perfectly normal on the outside that when cut apart were a rusted nightmare.This can generally only be seen in an X-ray, I had to X-ray a lot of tires for George. I also video taped tires with penetration cut belts exploding (not a extreme term, I'm talking injury potential force) at just above normal max air pressures, not a catastrophic failure you want to have on a two wheel vehicle. Also it appeared from the picture that there may have been some tearing of the outer tread, if the tread was torn even a minor amount, then the same or more may hold true for the inner core, leaving a weak spot that is just a failure waiting for an excuse to happen. I saw a lot of very weird failures and I take my tires extremely seriously because of it. Don't take chances with your life on this one, tires are cheap compared to hospital bills.

Last edited:
...First any penetration through the carcass of the tire is bad because it makes a weak spot and the act of plugging it if done the way the plug manufacturers suggest (reaming the hole to clean and rough it up) actually does more damage to the penetration... Don't take chances with your life on this one, tires are cheap compared to hospital bills.

I'm really tempted to point out that the number of catastrophic tire failures from patching is probably minor compared to the number of patched tires being used.

BUT, I really wasn't kidding when I said my knowledge in this area is pretty much nonexistent (hey, I'm human - anything **=>I<=** want to do must be the right thing after all. Right?). But for all I REALLY know, the ratio of failure to patching might not be that far apart after all, making it an even worse idea to take stupid chances with the tire. Sigh...

This is the third new tire out of the last four that's needed a patch (and replacement!) that I've had. The only one that didn't get a flat was the new PR2 I put on my Buell late last year. Grumble, grumble. Well, Southwest Moto tires has pretty good prices, and they're just down the road from me. Maybe I should zip-tie a push-broom to the front of my NC7 to help keep the pointy things out of my way as I travel.

Thanks, again.

Here is some input from the people who make the Stop-n-go repair kit...

Stop-n-go FAQ said:
6. Will the mushroom plugs work in steel belted radial tires?

Yes, as an emergency repair. They are not considered a permanent repair when installed in street (high speed) tires. They can be considered permanent in off-road (slow speed) tires such as golf cars, mowers, etc. F.Y.I. – How long our mushroom plugs will work in steel belted tires will depend on the proximity to the belts and the quality of installation.

7. Should I consider the use of your Patch/Plug #3002 a permanent repair in my motorcycle tire?

Safety experts all agree that a punctured and/or plugged motorcycle tire should be replaced as soon as possible. That is our opinion also.

Full text here> FAQ

What did I do to my NC? Yesterday evening, after I got home, I raised that bugger on the Center Stand, and popped it down, twice! Excited? You bet ya!! One small step for Techie... :p

What did I do to my NC? Yesterday evening, after I got home, I raised that bugger on the Center Stand, and popped it down, twice! Excited? You bet ya!! One small step for Techie... :p

Congrats! If (when!) my centerstand comes in from Honda's B.O., I'll have to learn that skill, too. I never had a bike with a centerstand before, not even either of my old enduros. I guess it's true about how we "never stop learning".

Here is some input from the people who make the Stop-n-go repair kit...

Yeah, like I said, there are places with pretty good tire prices nearby. It's just that I'm just starting to feel like a giant nail magnet - that's all.

Come to think of it, I need new rubber on my other bike, too. Those tires are starting to look pretty worn. I guess I'm going to load up the pickup with wheels and drive them all down there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back