• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Strange noise in engine...

Soarezito

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I noticed that in neutral (manual transmission) when I give gas from idle engine speed I hear a metallic CLAK when engine starts to rev up. Only makes the sound when is on idle speed. If I rev it before comes back to idle does not make that noise.

Is this something to worry about? Do you experience the same in your babies??

Thanks in advance for the inputs.

Hi all,

I noticed that in neutral (manual transmission) when I give gas from idle engine speed I hear a metallic CLAK when engine starts to rev up. Only makes the sound when is on idle speed. If I rev it before comes back to idle does not make that noise.

Is this something to worry about? Do you experience the same in your babies??

Thanks in advance for the inputs.

3.jpg

How does bike shift? Some times shift fork will hang, and some times it is bent. Just have to keep riding and listing.

smileySkelton.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
That's hard for me to say, this bike has a exceptionally loud clutch noise at idle. It doesn't affect the operation at all but when hot at idle you can clearly differentiate noise between the clutch pulled (quietest) and when the clutch is out (noisiest). Like I said it does not affect anything my cbr did the same thing it seems Honda just has noisy clutches.

Thanks for the replies.

The loud CLAK I mention is at the moment I start rev it from idle, and is if I make it quickly.
If I rev it smoooooothly no noise. If I give it fast it will happen.
Only when engine is hot.
If I don't touch the throttle it's just normal

It does not sound like normal operation for this bike to me. I would take it to someone and have them check it.

Chain slap? I know the bike isn't in gear, but sometimes the vibes can be abrupt enough when you crack the throttle to move the counter-shaft sprocket & chain. It's not noticeable when you roll on the gas because it's more gradual.
Even out of gear, when I have my WR running on the stand with both wheels off the ground the rear wheel will start to spin. Granted, it spins slowly, but it still spins.

Chain slap? I know the bike isn't in gear, but sometimes the vibes can be abrupt enough when you crack the throttle to move the counter-shaft sprocket & chain. It's not noticeable when you roll on the gas because it's more gradual.
Even out of gear, when I have my WR running on the stand with both wheels off the ground the rear wheel will start to spin. Granted, it spins slowly, but it still spins.

smileygoldtooth.jpg

If wheel still turning when on center stand not in gear (neutral), then clutch, clutch springs or clutch basket. First try adjusting the Clutch cable.

7.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Im having a similar noise issue, I think. I am wondering if it is the chain. I'm at 18k, and not the best at chain maintenance.

Its a "clack" noise that keeps sounding when I rev or let go of the throttle….. clack,clack,clack. Sound speeds up as I speed up, slows as I slow…..

If it is a very faint sound I hear it sometimes also,almost a throttle slip noise.don't always notice it.heck I hear a lot of sounds.

Im having a similar noise issue, I think. I am wondering if it is the chain. I'm at 18k, and not the best at chain maintenance.

Its a "clack" noise that keeps sounding when I rev or let go of the throttle….. clack,clack,clack. Sound speeds up as I speed up, slows as I slow…..

Forgive my ingnorance but when you stated that you rev the throttle are you coasting with the clutch in or sitting still? Probably a dumb question and I missed something but if your sitting still I would not think it is the chain.

I have the dct. No clutch. The sound happens when im moving. Either rev/ no throttle / and in any gear, i get the noise. Clack, clack,clack... Taking it to the shop this morning. I don't have the tools or the time to work on it

I have the dct. No clutch. The sound happens when im moving. Either rev/ no throttle / and in any gear, i get the noise. Clack, clack,clack... Taking it to the shop this morning. I don't have the tools or the time to work on it

I always forget they make these things with auto tranmission. I hope they figure something out and it is a simple fix.

Mine has a metallic clattering noise when moving but only when the road surface is poor. The source is the latch on the frunk lid. It rattles when the bike is driven over a road with a rough surface. If you put your hand on the lid it will stop. Just a thought.........

I always forget they make these things with auto tranmission. I hope they figure something out and it is a simple fix.

I would imagine they can rev up/down if the gear selector button is put in "Neutral" though, right?

At least that way one could hopefully eliminate a few things, like the drive chain from the equation.

Back