• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tutoro Oiler

riding on rough terrain as fuzzy does.
I'm not supprise his chain only last 10,000 mile.
all that dust etc will act like grinding paste on an oily chain and even less without the oiling.
I would try and come up with something to enclosed the chain. maybe dale can do this for you guys.

I've also head of people using trani fluid or gear oil just wondering what people have tried and what worked best. Thanks for the input

I've used multiple weights of motor oil, gear oil, and 2 stroke oil. Somehow I always end up with 1/2 full containers of various weights from helping friends change their oil, so it makes for easy experimentation :cool:

Straight weight motor oil like SAE30 work well in the summer, but don't flow so great in the winter I've found. Same story on gear oil, plus the stench of gearbox oil is pretty unpleasant wafting up at a stoplight when it's 100* outside.

5w20 that I had leftover worked great with minimal fling. I just filled it the other night with leftover 2 stroke oil from an old weed eater, and so far I like it fine.

ATF gets high praise by some as chain lube, but Tutoro specifically recommends against it. I'm not sure if something in it reacts poorly with the actual Tutoro unit or what, but I haven't tried it.

Long story short, whatever you have lying around will probably work fine if the viscosity is appropriate for the temperature.

In other news, I had to replace my tubing -- It cracked itself off in the middle of the run, just hard and brittle over time I suppose? Maybe the Kerosene I use to clean the chain reacts with the tubing? No big deal, I had enough left over from the initial kit to install a new run (and still have enough to do it again), took 10 minutes to do. Should be good for another year at least :)

trey

Check out the pics from my install, most of the pics I see it seems like your passenger would kick oil reservoir. I installed my oiler using the bolt from my luggage rack
91da5cc3d62e04335b30ac7dd2611194.jpg

fe1bf046ce8e13f2f471daa8b7f1f0f7.jpg

bee14bb3027bf93117b84d488d15c576.jpg
c0bee23ea27926bafb1a5fcc53985b21.jpg

The last picture shows the bracket that holds the nozzle to the sprocket. The bracket was to far forward I had to move it back. The hose has a piece of metal inside of it on one side, it go's on the side with the nozzle, it helps to hold the nozzle in place.

Last edited:
riding on rough terrain as fuzzy does.
I'm not supprise his chain only last 10,000 mile.
all that dust etc will act like grinding paste on an oily chain and even less without the oiling.
I would try and come up with something to enclosed the chain. maybe dale can do this for you guys.
Fuzzy's OEM chain only lasted 11,000 miles. Had a lot of miles on it before I got the Tutoro set up.

Replacement has 24,000 miles on it and shows virtually no wear. Cannot pull it away from rear sprocket at all.

I installed mine yesterday, went for a ride, put it in the garage and came back to 4 drops of oil on the floor from the rear sprocket. Crap!

Moved the bike to its normal location in the garage and the floor was clean this morning. Anyone ever have that happen?

I did. The screw is turned too far out for the warm temperature of the oil. Start with 1 turn out and then increase it each 50-100 miles. Temperature of the oil is a big part on how it flows out. Also make sure the output tip is still in the same place as you installed it. Also make sure the metal part inside the container is sitting correctly and perpendicular in all directions when the bike is in the normal riding position. You can see my past post on how many turns out I have mine. I do vary it from summer to winter.

Thanks! I had only turned it out 1 turn prior to the quick test ride, came home and turned it out another turn then. Maybe that was not such a great idea. I'll test it this way after I check it all out!

Love the oiler, except that I had a few drops on the floor again today after parking the bike for a few hours. I bent the bracket a little so it is as close the vertical as I can get it and I will keep an eye on it, but I love not having to oil or grease the chain!

I run the nib against the rear sprocket. In that position there is no dripping on the floor etc and the chain is well lubed.

I've never had any drips on the floor.
screw the knob all the way in and back out two full turns that should do it.
if it still drip turn in half.
just make sure that your chain is wet and thats all it needs.

Just thought of this: could it be the oil inside the tube expanding was it warms up from being ridden in the cold and then parked inside s warm garage? That would explain why it does not continue to drip indefinitely but stops after sitting for a while...

Back