• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

I have to wonder if other manufacturers will eventually follow Honda's lead on offering automatic versions of their motorcycles? If not, Honda will have a lock on a potentially lucrative corner of the market. I suppose time will tell.

I have to wonder if other manufacturers will eventually follow Honda's lead on offering automatic versions of their motorcycles? If not, Honda will have a lock on a potentially lucrative corner of the market. I suppose time will tell.
I think the DCT is gaining converts. I expect the competitors are engineering their options.

I would expect Honda's competitors to come up with their own automatic solutions so they can claim their system is different or superior, even if it's just a variation on the same concept.

Last edited:
Honda has a big jump on this technology. They put it in Acuras (I have one, I'm such a Honda Fan Boy), including some designed & built by Honda.

The DCT concept is great because it (normally) eliminates the fluid coupling (torque converter), which both robs efficiency and is part of what many A/T critics dislike.

Honda started their powersports DCT tech in small-displacement ATVs several years ago. It is proven and reliable tech, with a small but apparently 'sufficient' following. I find it intriguing, but will pay very little extra for it. What I WANT is ABS.

MZ5, I bought my bike for the ABS, but found that I love the DCT as well. It is wonderfully suited to the nc700 with the low revving engine. When riding in traffic I can concentrate on what is happening around me, and on the open road I have flawless manual shifting. Kudos to Honda for developing this technology.

Yes, I agree that would be nice. I tried to find a DCT, but there weren't any around here. I also just wasn't going to pay the premium for it, and anyway the premium at the time was too steep for ABS alone, for me.

I've strongly considered a CTX DCT, but am happy with the NCX in enough ways that the big chunk o' change isn't worth making the change. I like the higher seating position of the NCX in traffic, too.

Yeah, on some of our rides I'll ask the guys if they saw the camels or whatever over in the field as we went by.

Most of the time all they could see was the fence. :cool:

I think the DCT is gaining converts. I expect the competitors are engineering their options.

There was a rumor floating around that Yamaha was working on a single clutched version of DCT to put in their R1. Some reason or another, people seem to think this is the best bike they can produce.

The NC might go away in the US but it is still a best seller in Europe.

This is up for debate. DCT is still new and a "Hard Sell" to Purest and Newbs.

I am hoping it does not turn into a GB500 or NT650. Those were bikes created before the market was ready for them. Now they are highly sought after and fetch more than they sold new.

Here's a joke for you all.

What's the cheapest thing on a motorcycle?

"The rider..."

This holds true hearing about $$ stopping them from buy a bike with the DCT/ABS option...

I tell you what bike needs to "DIE" immediately is the NM4/Vultus.

NM4_2015_01.jpg

...Yamaha was working on a single clutched version of DCT ...

Maybe Yamaha will hire alien engineers so they can build "single clutched" Double CT.
I wonder how mathematicians would explain this: single duality? At least biologists wouldn't have a problem with it. In Nature are many examples of "single in both ways".:cool:

I like the NM4. But then I don't like the look of cruisers, Harleys and the clones, most motorcycles I see look like they are stuck in the 60's.

Back