• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to at least test ride one with real interest later on but that's at least a year most likely two down the road anyway. It's all about the money lol. Luckily my wife is already on board so I'm getting something with two wheels around that time

Went of a little ride today. Got about 20 miles from home, and with only around 95,000 miles on the bike the front wheel bearings went out! What an adventure it was riding the bike back home.

Do as I say not as I do, and change your wheel bearing at about 80,000 miles......

Went of a little ride today. Got about 20 miles from home, and with only around 95,000 miles on the bike the front wheel bearings went out! What an adventure it was riding the bike back home.

Do as I say not as I do, and change your wheel bearing at about 80,000 miles......

Make sure you do your 125,000 mile service BEFORE the IDBDR next year !!.

I finally got out to work a bit on the new bike, changing out exhausts from the shiney new styled one (keeping it) to my previously used Lee Vincent. Easy-peesy direct exchange.

image.jpg

Still have decent clearance under my Touratech panniers.

image.jpg

I jiggled up the new windscreen to my previously used Madstad mount, but couldn't find my drill to make the new hole pattern of the 2016.

Finally got out for a 188 mile ride, mostly 55mph and a bit up to 65. Whoever says the stock windscreen blocks wind must be riding with their head and chest the level of the speedo, yikes it was windy! I guess I have been spoiled using my 22 inch Madstad, I gotta find my drill.

I like how the new heated grips are integrated into a speedo display so I ordered the Honda ones to install instead of the Oxford grips I bought. I still have lots to do to farkle up this new NCX.

Ray

Last edited:

You've got 95k on your NC700X?

I installed the swmotech alu luggage rack. I have not yet decided if I will buy a luggage system, or which one if I do.

I installed the swmotech alu luggage rack. I have not yet decided if I will buy a luggage system, or which one if I do.

My bet is that you will. The farkle temptation is just too great to resist.

I am looking at the luggage thread. I like the look of small saddlebags, and the swmotech mounting system seems pretty good.

I'm looking at that same rack, and adding the soft bag plate for it. This will carry my daily commuter Wolfman Ridgeline bag (laptop, gym gear, lunch etc.). Currently it's Rok-strapped to my rear seat but I need to free up that space for a passenger during the summer. I like how the plate can be quickly removed when not needed, and how I'm then set up for any future luggage purchases.

How was the install? Looking at the PDF of the installation instructions the only part that has me concerned is the cutting in step 2 ("before mounting the side bars it is necessary to create small cutouts into the tail panels..."). Is this really necessary? Can you take a pic to show what they're talking about, the detailed line drawing looks like it's just a small square, but it's hard to tell? Much appreciated.

I'm looking at that same rack, and adding the soft bag plate for it. This will carry my daily commuter Wolfman Ridgeline bag (laptop, gym gear, lunch etc.). Currently it's Rok-strapped to my rear seat but I need to free up that space for a passenger during the summer. I like how the plate can be quickly removed when not needed, and how I'm then set up for any future luggage purchases.

How was the install? Looking at the PDF of the installation instructions the only part that has me concerned is the cutting in step 2 ("before mounting the side bars it is necessary to create small cutouts into the tail panels..."). Is this really necessary? Can you take a pic to show what they're talking about, the detailed line drawing looks like it's just a small square, but it's hard to tell? Much appreciated.
The Honda plastic body panels are molded with openings in them where the passenger grab rails bolt to the frame. These same bolts secure the SW Motech rack arms. (Well, not the same bolts, slightly longer ones SW Motech supplies are used) When you slide the SW Motech mounting tabs under the grab rail it raises the grab rails a little, just enough to interfere with how the grab rails slip under the body work when you slide them into place. The amount to be trimmed off the corner is very small and can't be seen when the rails are mounted in place. The body work plastic is easily trimmed with razor blade or sharp knife. Tiny amount is all.

Earlier versions of the instructions did not mention trimming at all and it's possible to force the grab rails back under the plastic panels by just pushing the body panel out of the way until the grab rail slips into place. My guess is enough people complained about the force necessary to make it fit even though it's slight and probably would not break or crack the panel so that SWT revised the instructions.

Last edited:
IMG_2305.jpgIMG_2308.jpgIMG_2310.jpgIMG_2324.jpg

File this in "What did you do with your NC"!

This was a nice small run up in the mountains yesterday.
Pennsylvania - Hagerman's Run Road off of Rt14 just north of Trout Run.
This was the same area where maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago I stopped to look at a bear cub up in the woods.

Is this a legitimate definition of "off-road riding?"
There is always a debate as to what is off-road riding and whether the NC is capable.
I must admit I would feel comfortable with the NC on easier trails.
I do have one side mountain road targeted.
As soon as you get off of the gravel road it is grass and heavily wooded.
And maybe 40 feet in it takes a hard turn to the left so from the gravel road you cannot really see what the road/trail looks like.
The small sign says in dead ends a mile out.
It is called "Skunk Hollow Road."
Now, why would you name a road that?????????
I do have a folding saw and hatchet to carry along in the event there are trees down over the road.

The bike is 100% stock.
I would feel better with better tires and a skid plate.
They will come.

I do not think any "Adventure Bike" or "Dual Purpose" was intended for trail riding.
You want an enduro bike for that heavy duty riding.
Dual Purpose (In my mind. Welcome in!!) is for asphalt roads and back country roads.

Just some thoughts and pictures.

God bless!!

Michael

View attachment 30042View attachment 30043View attachment 30044View attachment 30045

File this in "What did you do with your NC"!

This was a nice small run up in the mountains yesterday.
Pennsylvania - Hagerman's Run Road off of Rt14 just north of Trout Run.
This was the same area where maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago I stopped to look at a bear cub up in the woods.

Is this a legitimate definition of "off-road riding?"
There is always a debate as to what is off-road riding and whether the NC is capable.
I must admit I would feel comfortable with the NC on easier trails.
I do have one side mountain road targeted.
As soon as you get off of the gravel road it is grass and heavily wooded.
And maybe 40 feet in it takes a hard turn to the left so from the gravel road you cannot really see what the road/trail looks like.
The small sign says in dead ends a mile out.
It is called "Skunk Hollow Road."
Now, why would you name a road that?????????
I do have a folding saw and hatchet to carry along in the event there are trees down over the road.

The bike is 100% stock.
I would feel better with better tires and a skid plate.
They will come.

I do not think any "Adventure Bike" or "Dual Purpose" was intended for trail riding.
You want an enduro bike for that heavy duty riding.
Dual Purpose (In my mind. Welcome in!!) is for asphalt roads and back country roads.

Just some thoughts and pictures.

God bless!!

Michael

As the path becomes thin and I realize there is no easy place to turn around...that's as far as I go!

I have the same rack, with givi top box on it. I did not make any cuts, and nothing broke, and everything is completely stable.

As the path becomes thin and I realize there is no easy place to turn around...that's as far as I go!

I tend to see that thin gnarly trail as a challenge !!
You would think by now I would have learned !!!!.
cc02610ed7d52284a3350ecb9f589002.jpg

That is what has kept me from scooting down Skunk Hollow Road, though it is only a mile long according to the sign post.

Wondering how tight it gets back there.

Oh yes, and the roads name sake!

And I am not afraid of Hollows.

God bless!!

Michael

Is there a trick to get the bottom engine mount bolt out when installing the crash bar? Sucker wouldn't budge. The engine case was still a little warm but other than that?

Did a 285 mile ride with lunch by S. Lake Tahoe, near the middle of the ride, there are still a few short sections with snow next to the roadway on Hwy 88.
It was fairly warm with many many juicy bugs, I had to clean my shield 4 - 5 times.

I did not cut anything. They seemed to fit without it. The piece on the rack that lines up with the grab bar hole goes straight out from the hole. Possibly swmotech changed the piece and not the instructions.

It occurs to me that I think I reused the stock bolts and not the bolts provided. The rack seems secure, but maybe I should go back and redo them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back