• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eBay brake and clutch levers with an aside about Tusk and Barkbuster handguards

Installed shorty adjustable levers from eBay on my NC700X and my WR250R last night. Here's the NC ones.

s-l1600.jpg

The quality and finish is really good, and the adjusters work with a cam with six steps, the arrangement is very positive with no inclination to release from the position you've chosen. This allows one to set the levers closer for shorter fingers or further for longer ones. I think I'm going to like these, they really feel good, comfortable and smooth and strong! I think they look nice, but for those who are less inclined to like obvious bling, they can be had in anodized black.

I had to remove the plastic cups from the handguards to have good access and one thing I noticed is how much better the Tusk cups on my WR handguards attach. The attachment method on the Storm Barkbusters for NC700X consist of one short pointy button-head screw that goes in from the front, and two tiny screws and a plastic bridge that go in from the back, connecting plastic to plastic. This method does not inspire confidence that a tough secure attachment will fend off separation when the going gets rough.

The Tusk method on the other hand(!) uses two hefty machine screws that are screwed in from the front into threaded holes on the aluminum crossbars, and they go all the way through to the inner surface. They've taken a pounding from dirt naps and everything was just as tight as the day it was installed. The plastic won't easily be ripped away from the assembly. Whats more, is they cost a lot less! Fie on Barkbusters for not doing a better job!

I found myself on some rough dirt, mud and loose gravel a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with the NC. Then I, too, remember I had no skid plate and ordered one. I want to play some more off road, I am inexperienced on dirt.

I consider myself a dirt noob but gravel rider.
All the FS roads in my area are more or less gravel, no real dirt but short sections.
The few hours of dirt riding was at the MSF Dirt Bike Class which I took twice.
The second one was a free offer to fill some space.
If you take a dirtbike class, make sure to ride outside of your abilities and crash.
That's how I do it. Since then, I've had tip-overs in actual riding but never crashed.

I consider myself a dirt noob but gravel rider.
All the FS roads in my area are more or less gravel, no real dirt but short sections.
The few hours of dirt riding was at the MSF Dirt Bike Class which I took twice.
The second one was a free offer to fill some space.
If you take a dirtbike class, make sure to ride outside of your abilities and crash.
That's how I do it. Since then, I've had tip-overs in actual riding but never crashed.

Not if, but when. I will definitely be pursuing dirt education.

I wonder if there's as much Loctite on my NC as there is on my WR. Loctite is a must for dirt riding -- even if you don't take many dirt naps.

Installed shorty adjustable levers from eBay on my NC700X and my WR250R last night. Here's the NC ones.

s-l1600.jpg

The quality and finish is really good, and the adjusters work with a cam with six steps, the arrangement is very positive with no inclination to release from the position you've chosen. This allows one to set the levers closer for shorter fingers or further for longer ones. I think I'm going to like these, they really feel good, comfortable and smooth and strong! I think they look nice, but for those who are less inclined to like obvious bling, they can be had in anodized black.

I had to remove the plastic cups from the handguards to have good access and one thing I noticed is how much better the Tusk cups on my WR handguards attach. The attachment method on the Storm Barkbusters for NC700X consist of one short pointy button-head screw that goes in from the front, and two tiny screws and a plastic bridge that go in from the back, connecting plastic to plastic. This method does not inspire confidence that a tough secure attachment will fend off separation when the going gets rough.

The Tusk method on the other hand(!) uses two hefty machine screws that are screwed in from the front into threaded holes on the aluminum crossbars, and they go all the way through to the inner surface. They've taken a pounding from dirt naps and everything was just as tight as the day it was installed. The plastic won't easily be ripped away from the assembly. Whats more, is they cost a lot less! Fie on Barkbusters for not doing a better job!

I bought those levers in red for my wife's bike and she likes them. I will have to disagree about your perceived toughness on the barkbusters. My bike has been down a handful of times with no damage done to it except for the barkbusters plastics and all in all they have proven to be one of the most satisfying add on products. Second are the Honda hand warmers. No regrets with those.

The double layers of thicker plastic and the method of attaching them on the Tusk guards I got is *much* tougher, and I didn't have to fiddle-fart with tiny screws to attach. The same beating the Tusks have taken on my WR would have shredded the Storm cups or ripped 'em off, especially on a heavier machine like the NC. I'd suggest that you haven't dumped your NC at speed in as nasty of territory, where there are plenty of steep drop-offs into sharp rocks and protruding branches/limbs etc. I think for the price they could afford to improve the Barkbusters. Especially considering they cost about $100 more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven't done anything with the bike today, but just got my new TKC-80 tires in the mail (fortnine), and also the handguards, heated grips and folding peg from Twisted Throttle...

IMG_3859.jpg
IMG_3855.jpg

We have sun in Vancouver today, so I may just take the opportunity to ride around and spend the next rainy days installing the stuff... Still not sure if I should change the tires myself or have it done... But I guess I need to know how to do it by myself for my coming trip, so...

Last edited:
Looks like you may have bought the optional light kit for the handguards? If so, please be sure to document with photo's the install as I'm interested in adding the option to my Kobra's.

Still haven't done anything with the bike today, but just got my new TKC-80 tires in the mail (fortnine), and also the handguards, heated grips and folding peg from Twisted Throttle...

View attachment 31464
View attachment 31463

We have sun in Vancouver today, so I may just take the opportunity to ride around and spend the next rainy days installing the stuff... Still not sure if I should change the tires myself or have it done... But I guess I need to know how to do it by myself for my coming trip, so...

Looks like you may have bought the optional light kit for the handguards? If so, please be sure to document with photo's the install as I'm interested in adding the option to my Kobra's.

No I didn't. My bike is already quite the xmas tree so far...

IMG_3802.jpgIMG_3811.jpgIMG_3812.jpg

But I bought the handguard storm extensions that were backordered. I'll post pic without and with them when I add them.

In terms of lights, I believe I may start to be a PITA for the drivers behind me :D (not yet for the ones coming in my direction, but that could change...)

Yesterday I rode over to Crowder College for a baseball game.
Today it has rained all day and I did nothing on my bike.

I started out bundled up when it was 40F yesterday, to test the adjustments on my new clutch and brake levers. But soon I was down on the Flathead Reservation 80 miles out enjoying the chill but hazy sunny day. Almost 160 miles later and back home, it had just climbed up to 50F. The levers felt great by the way, with #1 setting on the clutch and #2 on the brake.

flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/30189778552/in/album-72157671403283132/

30189778552_028bf69fd1_h.jpg

Today I started mounting my latest accessories, and was disappointed when I realized the folding adjustable gear lever Twisted Throttle sent me the wrong reference, for V-Strom 1000, instead of the one I ordered... I hate when that happens... sent them an email, but I'll probably have to deal with a f* return... that's when I hate buying online... If at least I knew a V-strom 1000 owner, I'd just resell the part...

Now to install the handguards... let's pray reference is correct this time...

I installed an SAE lead into the frunk to make it easier to put the bike on a battery tender.

I cut a small piece out of the bottom of the plastic wall between the frunk and the battery. This allows the plastic wall to be in its correct position. I noticed I could cut out a piece of the plastic without damaging the rubber backing, if I was careful.

I also used the heated grips for the first time since testing them when they were installed. They are the Honda set, easy to use and quite warm. The left one did seem a little warmer than the right one.

Cooler weather is coming so I guess I need to think about handguards and a Madstad screen. I am leaning towards SW Motech handguards since I have so much of their stuff already on the bike.

I installed an SAE lead into the frunk to make it easier to put the bike on a battery tender.

I cut a small piece out of the bottom of the plastic wall between the frunk and the battery. This allows the plastic wall to be in its correct position. I noticed I could cut out a piece of the plastic without damaging the rubber backing, if I was careful.

I also used the heated grips for the first time since testing them when they were installed. They are the Honda set, easy to use and quite warm. The left one did seem a little warmer than the right one.

Cooler weather is coming so I guess I need to think about handguards and a Madstad screen. I am leaning towards SW Motech handguards since I have so much of their stuff already on the bike.

Looks like I'm one step in front of you - although I still need to plug the oxford grips: I just finished installing the SW-Motech handguards (Kobra, I would have preferred the storm ones, but they were backordered and I needed something quick, so I chose the Kobra and am waiting for the storm extension kit, [an additional CAD29]).

Just took some pics (still need to do the wiring for the grips, but that should be fast and take me 15 minutes at the most). The hardest part was removing the internal weights from the handlebar, and the throttle side was a particular PITA (must have taken me 30 minutes and my hands and fingers hurt). I also ended sanding the whole white throttle plastic, cutting out the end and making it a nice and smooth support for the new grip (with just the right resistance when inserting the grip). I thought about taking a pic of it before glueing the grip, but then I forgot. I also cut the extremity of the grips (adventure model) and with the handguards it all fits perfectly!

IMG_3866.jpgIMG_3867.jpgIMG_3868.jpgIMG_3870.jpg

Oh, and for the note, now the handguards hit the madstad on full lock turn... :( I guess I'll follow with the riser thread then)

Last edited:
what did I do with My NC today? I left it in a repair shop two hundred miles from home....
To quote Joni Mitchel
"don't it always seem to go..."

I rode over to SW Missouri to see how the leaves were doing. Still a week or two away from peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back