• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went on a night ride from Tickfaw to Baton Rouge and ratted the roads over there by O'Neil. Rode for about 2 hours and got back home around 4 am. Great time listening to Hozier and just thinking about life. Can't wait to get some Givi Trekker Side cases and take the bike on some long bike rides to go camping.

Last edited:
Spaces like that kind of make me miss the clutch, exhaust and high RPM of a sportbike if you know what I mean... at least you didn't scare them with the put put put of the DCT. :)

Yes... but for me, those moments are few and far between.
Way majority of my miles are real world, Cleveland Ohio USA and basic transportation while still retaining the fun, freedom, and challenges of 2 wheel transportation..

When the moments arise to have fun, I'll just paddle it up and down and make the best of it.

They are assembling my 2016 NC700 DCT now. Curious to see how I like it.

Way majority of my miles are real world, Cleveland Ohio USA and basic transportation while still retaining the fun, freedom, and challenges of 2 wheel transportation..

When the moments arise to have fun, I'll just paddle it up and down and make the best of it.

I commuted to work today for the first time on the DCT, bumper to bumper traffic for most of it and NOT having to friction zone it all the way was nice.

Just dragging the rear brake on hill stops and starts was the most challenging task.

I can see why this is touted as a commuter bike. When I first got it I was dead set on using the paddles only, didn't trust the computer. Now I don't really use anything else, maybe drop a gear going up a freeway ramp to merge at speed but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added some oil, then rode about 100 miles to check on my boat, ride some nice curvy roads south and east of Seneca, Missouri, then up to Joplin to get a spare key made.

It was raining just to the south. One of the cool things about riding a motorcycle is the awareness of the weather.

I rode in Sport mode and watched the gas mileage drop, but it was fun. In drive mode I find myself dropping down a gear going up hills. It is not really necessary, but I understand that I should avoid lugging during break in.

Last edited:
So I'm riding in S1 most of the time. I do occasionally drop a gear on an entrance ramp or to overtake, however I frequently drop gears when coming to a stop or slowing most of the way down. My understanding, and I believe even the manual states it, is that doing this for engine breaking should be used. Am I incorrect? I understand it may eat some fuel mpg, but feel that the trade-off for lower brake wear and better control is the 'proper' way? S1 does drop gears faster than D, but I still find myself manually hitting the paddle quite frequently. I also use it in some of the tighter corners.

I commuted to work today for the first time on the DCT, bumper to bumper traffic for most of it and NOT having to friction zone it all the way was nice.

Just dragging the rear brake on hill stops and starts was the most challenging task.

I can see why this is touted as a commuter bike. When I first got it I was dead set on using the paddles only, didn't trust the computer. Now I don't really use anything else, maybe drop a gear going up a freeway ramp to merge at speed but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West side or East side? I used to commute from the other other side of LaDue reservoir (far east side, by 422 & 44) to American Greetings in Brooklyn. I finally wised-up when they started the plan to move even further west to Crocker Park, and got a job round the corner from home! I do not miss 422 > 271/480, especially in the winter which could make a 45 minute drive into a 2+ hour drive!! Out of curiosity, where's your bike being assembled? Just for Fun Honda (Powersports dealer) is my local.

...I can see why this is touted as a commuter bike. When I first got it I was dead set on using the paddles only, didn't trust the computer. Now I don't really use anything else, maybe drop a gear going up a freeway ramp to merge at speed but that's it.

Here's a scenario, I come up behind a vehicle that 'needs' to be passed, can't pass him now, waiting for a chance, waiting...

Meanwhile bike is in 6th when the opportunity arises I want to roll on the throttle not downshift downshift roll on the throttle. BUT if I downshift downshift in D mode chances are it goes back to 6th before my opportunity arises.

Pull the Manual trigger then downshift downshift now in 4th...waiting...waiting...

My chance to pass, I have two options roll on the throttle in 4th or roll on the throttle and downshift to 3rd.

Here is my DCT tip... Don't manually upshift, while you roll on the throttle pull the Manual trigger again to put it back in D mode and the DCT will nicely upshift for you once you ease off the throttle.

If you manually upshift to 6th you may forget that you are in M mode, eventually you come to a stop light, the light changes to green and you accelerate but what's going on it's stuck in 1st, yikes I'm in Manual mode, where's that upshift button!

Last edited:
Ride in S mode. I have found it much more fun, shifts where I would normally shift, and when I really roll the throttle, it drop 2 gears and runs, only upshifting when I would be pulling the trigger anyway. S is my everyday mode.

Ride in S mode. I have found it much more fun, shifts where I would normally shift, and when I really roll the throttle, it drop 2 gears and runs, only upshifting when I would be pulling the trigger anyway. S is my everyday mode.

I have been a firm believer and advocate for "S-Mode" for the past 2 years. It makes the DCT come "Alive". Wouldn't you agree? :eek:

[video=youtube;Fk3ZeRczG-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk3ZeRczG-Y[/video]

Here is my DCT tip... Don't manually upshift, while you roll on the throttle pull the Manual trigger again to put it back in D mode and the DCT will nicely upshift for you once you ease off the throttle.

If you manually upshift to 6th you may forget that you are in M mode, eventually you come to a stop light, the light changes to green and you accelerate but what's going on it's stuck in 1st, yikes I'm in Manual mode, where's that upshift button!

Why not use "S-Mode" in this situation? :confused:

Over the Memorial Day Weekend, I lead a group ride of 4 other riders. We started in the San Fernando Valley, drove through Moorpark, Ojai and then continued onto Santa Barbara.

Attachments

• Ojai-SantaBarbara.JPG
    Ojai-SantaBarbara.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 119
So I'm riding in S1 most of the time. I do occasionally drop a gear on an entrance ramp or to overtake, however I frequently drop gears when coming to a stop or slowing most of the way down. My understanding, and I believe even the manual states it, is that doing this for engine breaking should be used. Am I incorrect? I understand it may eat some fuel mpg, but feel that the trade-off for lower brake wear and better control is the 'proper' way? S1 does drop gears faster than D, but I still find myself manually hitting the paddle quite frequently. I also use it in some of the tighter corners.

What I have found over the years is that engine braking saves on brakes but burns through tires. Even my DCT in S-mode. If you can feel that short rapid deceleration (on any bike) then you know you are skidding the tire. It is not locked but it is skidding. I don't know any way to calculate the most cost effective way to decelerate.
I do know that when younger I used to downshift a LOT. I was so cool. I hardly ever replaced brake components. Even on bikes with 45,000 to 86,000 miles on them. THat was in the 70s to the early 90s.
I don't downshift much now at all. The DCT does what it wants though. I have no idea how many miles I will get on a set of brake pads.
I hardly ever used the rear. Slowing hard and using the rear seemed a bit risky to me. But Florida is straight and flat......with sand.

1st service + some farkles

Picked up the bike from the dealer after work. 1st service is now complete! Also added light bar, heated grips, center stand, 12v frunk accessory outlet (+ harness accessory etc.) and direct to battery pigtail.

The light bar is black for 2016, I believe previously it was grey. Happy about this as it will go better with the SW Motech engine guards I'll add later, with the SW-M skid plate! The heated grips have 5 levels, and there's a section on the dash that indicates they're on and at what level, cool! Center stand will make my 1x month chain lube easier etc. I had them put in a 3A fuse for the 12v outlet so that a 2.1A charger shouldn't cause any issues. Put in the frunk a 12v > USB charger and a USB to Lightning/Micro-USB cable so I've got iOS and Android etc. covered. Dealer put a direct to battery pigtail also in the frunk, so I can charge the bike battery through it and connect heated clothing come winter. I may look at re-routing it to the frunk lid and coming out under a rail similar to what Supertux showed, looked nice & clean!!

I read in a UK forum that included a picture that for 2016 there's also a new luggage rack that looks more formidable to the prior model. I'm looking at going with the SW Motech AluRack and then adding the soft luggage plate for my daily commute gym/lunch/laptop/waterproofs bag (Wolfman duffel). That way I can also quickly remove the plate at the weekend when not in use. Currently the bag is ROK-strapped to the rear seat, but my eldest will occupy that spot during the summer while he works at my office. It will also save me 90 seconds or so once a week during fuel-ups :)

Before the winter I hope to also add a rad guard, barkbuster storms, fender extenders and some additional front/rear lights. Some reflective rim tape may also make an appearance as the days grow shorter. I had an extended windshield on the scooter, so once more vendors have 2016 versions available I'll probably look into it, again for winter only as I like the airflow of the stock screen during the nice weather. A new horn is somewhere on the list too, probably when other electrical stuff gets added!! So many farkles so little money...

Anyway, I know it didn't happen if there's no pics! I took them but I'll work on getting those uploaded tomorrow!!

Thanks to everyone that post about their experiences, insights and mod information for us all to learn from, really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back