• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that was a rear blinker replacement? Don't remember off hand, but I think the rear only has two wires, whereas the front has three (the third being for the running lights, iiuc). But since the connector was wrong too, I guess that's a long shot.

We ordered "replacement" blinkers and they came and had different plugs on the wires and only two. WE need three. And they said they were a match. And the plugs were a different type. Sourcing just the plug connectors for some of the NC light harness and sockets was impossible for me. ONly one site and they did not have most of what I needed -( rear light addition).
An hour or so and some JB Weld was less irritating.........and faster. Had to glue parts together in stages.....

I've found all the parts for a supposedly proper 3-wire replacement (going to LED, no less), including an adapter plate that covers one of the (unneeded) holes on the side since the new lights only take one hole (wires through bolt). Once I have all the parts delivered and I start re-assembling, I'll take pictures.

This weekend I had planned to do a number of installation & cleaning jobs: Altrider radiator guard, Denali Soundbomb MINI horn, R&G shock sock, SW-M Alu-rack rear carrier & soft bag plate, clean & lube chain, Madstad windshield, clean bike. Decided against better judgement last night to get a jump on things and install the radiator guard & horn. Both should be quick/easy and both can be more easily done with removal of the same lower front plastic - two screws.

For the life of me I could not figure out how to loosen up the wiring from the old horn to give me the needed extra 2-3" to reach the connectors on the new horn. The Denali, when rotated properly (pointing down) has the connectors up high, whereas on the OEM they are the bottom. So I left the horn off and installed the radiator guard.

As previously mentioned by others, this went on without issues. And as with others, the lower left (when looking at the bike head-on) was not touching the radiator when done! No biggie, the gap is small.

Now back to that horn issue! Off to the local auto parts store to get some wire, connectors & tape. Guy in the store said rather than buy a pack of male connectors & a pack female connectors (only combo packs in stock were huge), just buy waterproof butt connectors and cut the existing connectors off and re-use them. Stupidly I said OK. Got home and it was starting to get darker and windier and now down to 45. Instead of being smart and saying it can wait until the weekend I proceeded against better judgement (again) to cut off the existing connectors, only to find that there really was no way I was going to be able to re-use them! Now I find (in desperation) at the bottom of my 'other' toolbox my electrical connectors kit I previously couldn't locate. Lo and behold male & female connectors!

Now I'm really mad at myself :mad:

I cut two 3" pieces of wire and put on the necessary connectors, making sure they're solid, then shrink & tape. It's dark, windy and raining outside. Project halt!

So on Saturday I just have to connect them to the cut wires on the bike, crimp, shrink & tape. Stupid self should have left the original connectors exactly as they were, then I could have made the 3" jumpers with a male and a female and be done already! Would also have been easy to remove and put back to stock.

Note to self. Listen to the quiet inner voice, it's usually right! Wasn't going to share my fail, but thought if it can save someone else from making the same or similar mistake then it's worth it! Hopefully the rest of the project on Saturday goes a whole lot smoother!

Was gonna start my 60 days of riding to work challenge today... But it was 40 and raining and my rain gear is not here yet... so it's gonna wait.
Ahhh Cleveland, your weather sucks. (79% of the time)

Was gonna start my 60 days of riding to work challenge today... But it was 40 and raining and my rain gear is not here yet... so it's gonna wait.

Right there with you!! Got quite a lot of rain last night. Good news though is that there really shouldn't be any salt etc. left on the roads at this point! Of course the temp is also going to dip tomorrow too!! If all goes well with the installs tomorrow and Sunday is nice, I might make an afternoon ride on Sunday. Maybe in and around the Cuyahoga Valley National Park!

I'll see how long I can commute. Except for the couple of days of serious rain in February been commuting for past 45 days here in so cal. Note that I only commute Tues-Fri, put about 245 miles a week. So far put about 2300 miles since Jan 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot can happen in 40 miles...

Rushed home from work as it was 60 degrees and sunny in Portland OR - the rain's back tomorrow (duh) but I was able to get geared up and on the road for an hour before I had to be back home for dinner (I was cooking).

I killed a bug. Flew right out in front of me and there was nothing I could do. I said a few kind words for his family when I wiped the poor fellow off the Madstad.

I truck/trailer nearly killed me (well, that may be a bit dramatic). I was behind him on a two way road when he slowed and appeared to be making a left turn. I slowed ready to resume once he cleared, but he turned left, then straightened, then turned right and back across the road - blocking it completely (he planned to back the trailer in...) I was a bit of a surprise, but the bike braked nicely and I came to a stop. He never knew I was there as he focused on his mirrors and completed the maneuver. I remembered the "road rage" thread last week and just moved on.

I took the baffle out of the Yoshimura R77 slip on to see what it sounded like. Awful. In (D)rive, the bike sounded like a Harley Sportster. In (S)port, it was a bit better as the revs went up but it was still too loud. I love the sound of the bike with the baffle in - louder than stock with a throaty sound, but never annoying. I also like the looks of it, so it stays...

Jury is still out on the Grip Puppies - need a longer ride. Definitely helped with the vibration dampening, but my thumbs are a bit sore (need to get used to the bigger grip?).

All in all, a fun hour... Go Ducks!

Page34, post # 337 this thread.

This is one of two or three we have done. My son dropped my NC in the driveway. He went into the Giggle Weeds and found a hole and dropped his. I forget the other -other son, Sister in law............I forget.

One we did had a cracked lense also. So what. I look more for function. Looks I gave up when I realized I look as bad now as I did when I was 22. I no longer care.

I'll see how long I can commute. Except for the couple of days of serious rain in February been commuting for past 45 days here in so cal. Note that I only commute Tues-Fri, put about 245 miles a week. So far put about 2300 miles since Jan 2017.

Heh.
I commuted for 15 years.
But that was in Fl. (it does get cold though, and hot)
The distances were not too far either.
AND I was young, strong and not as smart.

Got above 50F today. Was overdressed and had to shed a layer -- a few degrees makes all the difference when temperature is near the windchill threshold. Did a bit over 200 miles.

Above The Flathead River by greenboy, on Flickr

Put the wheels back on after getting new tires mounted and cleaned the chain. The weather is supposed to be okay on Sunday so I'm looking forward to a ride maybe.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Kerosene and a rag. 10,500 miles so far. All I ever put on it is WD-40 every other tank of gas. No kinks, seems good.

Was about to ask what that metal bit sticking up from the swingarm is, but then realized the chain guard was removed. Guess that's some sort of support?

Nebraskagirl and I got new tires!

b21c90a71450559b4b7ba5e0f507970a.jpg
1446822bec7f0e58d0d08ff33eca3588.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Got an early start to the day and installed SW Motech engine guards. The right side was a big pain in the butt but managed after a while. It helps if you have a helper in that side which I didn't. Also you have to have a 10mm Allen socket. Makes it so much easier. Now that this is on, I'm ready to order a skid Crosspro skid plate from Europe! Anyone here install them?

CROSSPRO MATT BLACK ENGINE BASH GUARD PLATE SUMP HONDA NC700X NC 700 2012-2017 | eBay

4823b55d2bdc916e13312d1daf67a394.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back