• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren County NJ (forests, groves and dells)

I didn't get out this weekend, so I made a point after work today of heading to Western NJ again. This time I wanted to climb little County Road 624 to see if it was a back way up into the Delaware Water Gap Rec Area. (It was and it wasn't)

route-warren-county-b.jpg

Highlights:

At the beginning I got to ride Shades of Death Road! The name predates cars and motorcycles. It is pretty curvy, though. And just pretty.

Screenshot_20170814-190914b.jpg

20170814_191158a.jpg

20170814_191147a.jpg

I wandered some beautiful twisty roads I didn't know existed. That includes Paulins Kill and this old 1700s mill house, which is for sale on Zillow (lots of pics there):

20170814_193622a.jpg

20170814_193600a.jpg

20170814_193647a.jpg

The top of Route 624 looked like it would go through, but it was closed off this evening. I felt too new a rider to risk going around the barrier, and I was worried what the barrier on the other side looked like. And it was getting dark.

20170814_201447a.jpg

20170814_201418b.jpg

But still, revelatory ride. Beautiful little area, and only about 45 miles of riding, once I got there.

Last edited:
Haven't been riding much lately -- especially with the camera -- because the smoke is unhealthy to be outdoors in and everything looks like it did a week after Mount Saint Helens blew. But here's one from before many wildfires were getting their smoke to the area. It's a shot comparing luggage systems.

2017-07-28 16;19;47 by greenboy, on Flickr

O put new a new rear shinko 705 on Sunday, while the wheel was if i was poking around and discovered my right side wheel bearing was trash. Currently waiting on new bearings to arrive.

A lot of little tweaks

I got a bunch of stuff in the mail, so I did some small tweaks:

I crammed some tow straps and the forum-recommended Stop N Go Air Puncture Kit in the right side, and the charging cables from the Anker charger in the left side (in ziploc bag)

air-duct1.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot about helmet bump! Living in bliss with my DCT.

Very true. No head bumps and this was our first ride together in over 40 years. She even says that the Shad seat was very comfy and that the design of the oem panniers made her feel very much 'locked in'. The last time we rode together was on a CB400F and she was hanging on for dear life!

Due to rain on two concurrent days the wildfire smoke at home was mostly cleared from the air. As long as I headed north chances were good so I just did my Glacier NP loop. There are a few fires in the park but the pall is localized compared to last time I was up there. And Nero was on vacation with his family, bringing the Alphorn instead of the Fiddle.

2017-08-15 16;17;03 by greenboy, on Flickr

2017-08-15 19;38;49 by greenboy, on Flickr

Chatted music with the gent, also had a nice conversation with the couple on the Goldwing. They had ridden from Pennsylvania and were steeling themselves to head back.

My Madstad windscreen arrived this afternoon. I installed it this evening and it probably took me an hour. I ordered a 20" (I am 5'11") light grey although in my garage with the fluorescent lights it looked pretty clear. I will have to check it out in the sunlight tomorrow. I took it for a quick ride in the neighborhood and was able to get it up to 45 mph and it worked soooo much better than the stock windscreen. I also found it's easier to lose track of how fast I was going because I am not feeling the wind like I did before. So far I am very happy with my purchase but I do need to do more road testing and I may wish I had gone with middle grey.

I ordered a 'breathable' seat cover from Walmart. The Air Hawk pad just isn't cutting it anymore.
I ordered this https://www.walmart.com/ip/XL-Red-B...thable-Protector-Cushion-for-Yamaha/530358200
It was lower price last week.
After receiving it, I had to manipulate it to fit. It is long and narrow, but after stretching, stapling, cutting a little (for the seat bolts), I got it on and I don't think it looks bad on the bike.
seat1.jpg
seat2.jpg

I didn't take any pictures while stapling it to the bike pan-I was in a time crunch and needed it done before a charity ride. It took about 30 minutes start to finish.
After installing it, I have noticed a difference. Short rides (2 hours or less) it seems as if I am sitting in my chair at home; long rides, such as this last Saturday when I was in the saddle for 5.5 hours total-it was starting to get a little discomfort, but not as bad as the air hawk was becoming....

Had a great ride last night. Perfect weather. Went from the East side of Cleveland past the lake and downtown to the West side and way around the horn and back again.
I could have ridden all night, but had to be in bed by 10.

Also I moved my bars up about 3/4", meaning I already had the 2" risers on the bike, but had the bars leaning back some, so I pushed them forward about 7-10 deg. and readjusted the storm hand guards and levers.
This change seemed to make me sit up a bit more and is helping the pressure on my bad hip. I noticed on my 2 hour ride, I only had to stand up about every 20. - 30 minutes and was able to kind of relax my hip and I made it through the trip with minimal pain.

Last edited:
Changed oil and filter on my bike. Bike is a 2012 and has 3,000 miles on it. Guy I bought it from said he changed the oil and filter but I don't think he really did. Oil looked nasty and the filter was the factory filter and hard as a biatch to break loose.

Well at least it is done now. I used Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle synthetic and mobil 1 M110A filter.

2012 NCX's are the best!!!

Tsn's got it. The DCT systems makes for very smooth downshifting - much smoother than I could ever manage with a clutch lever. As long as you are smooth on the brakes, your passenger is not getting thrown forward. Hence, no helmet bumps.

I rode about 150 miles over to Newtonia, Missouri, site of two small Civil War battles, then down to the twisties south of there.
There is one house in Newtonia that was there at the time.

IMG_0217.jpg

Quick lunch at the Country Cupboard, an Amish or Mennonite store just to the south.

IMG_0213.jpg

I went down highway U to reach a road along a creek, but it turned rough and I turned cowardly, as there was no cell service and I was by myself.

I stopped for a swim at the health club on the way back. The problem with ATTGATT is when you are making lots of stops.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I've heard there is no helmet bump on the DCT bikes when couples ride two up.

Only when shifting. Still happens during braking.

Tsn's got it. The DCT systems makes for very smooth downshifting - much smoother than I could ever manage with a clutch lever. As long as you are smooth on the brakes, your passenger is not getting thrown forward. Hence, no helmet bumps.

I drive manual transmission bikes, but the only helmet bump we have is when the wife falls asleep on back of the Goldwing.

I would think downshifts could be made smoother with a manual transmission, since the DCT does not rev match.

Quoting dduelin, who has had both manual and DCT NC700Xs:

6th April 2016, 17:28
"Having had both a manual transmission 700X for just under 30,000 miles and now riding a DCT version for just about 10,000 miles I can say the DCT has some compromises but in the whole I like the DCT version more because I readily adapted to the compromises and for me the advantages of DCT outweigh the compromises. What I don't like is the DCT will never downshift as smoothly as I do and without RBW it cannot perfectly match revs when downshifting, particularly under heavy braking."

Last edited:
I drive manual transmission bikes, but the only helmet bump we have is when the wife falls asleep on back of the Goldwing.

I would think downshifts could be made smoother with a manual transmission, since the DCT does not rev match.

Quoting dduelin, who has had both manual and DCT NC700Xs:

6th April 2016, 17:28
"particularly under heavy braking."[/B]

I can't speak for dd and, in fact, would agree with the "heavy braking" part. I would bet most of us will upset the wife's seating position a little under heavy braking - at least on a bike with the size/weight/ and seating arrangement of the NC. Under normal circumstances (especially with my wife on the back) the DCT is smoother than I am on upshifts and downshifts. As a young man that grew up in the hot rodding 60s, I once said that I would never have an automatic in any of my cars, but I have mellowed and almost "never say never!". For what I do - commuting and an occasional jaunt in the backcountry - I love the DCT and if paddle shifting is good enough for Formula 1 cars, it's probably good enough for me.
Just my two cents....
Love,
Thom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back