• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one Potter. I went out for a nice ride last week and forgot to bring a fleece sweatshirt or something to use as a liner for my new Mesh jacket i purchased. Liked the Mesh jacket and felt "ah, i'll be alright" and took off. Heh, i didn't make it 10 miles and had the chill so badly i was starting to shiver. I remembered a family friend that was having a "Yard Sale" and swung by. And wouldn't you just know it that they had a nice old sweatshirt there that fit me for $1.00..! Bingo!! now it sits in the Frunk and ready to use anytime i need it. Ride and learn! :{)

The front fork on the NC is about as well damped as a pogo stick. I had a gift certificate from a Yamaha dealership, so I went there and bought 3 pints of Yamalube 10wt fork oil and then did a "Jiffy Lube" fork oil change. The steps were:
- Jack up the front of the bike so the wheel is just off the ground
- Remove a fork cap
- Use a white tie wrap as a dip stick to measure the height of the fork oil and mark that with a marker
- Pull out the spacer, washer and spring
- Use a Harbor Freight "Mighty Vac" to suck out the fork oil. Note: only a little over half of the fork oil will come out, because the damper rod stops the tube from going to the bottom of the fork tube. This is the fast and dirty aspect of the oil change.
- Replace spring, washer and spacer
- Fill tube with oil to original level
- Replace cap
- Repeat the above for the other fork tube.

Do not tell Daddy Dave that you did this.

I do not know what the technical differences are between the Honda and Yamaha fork oil are, besides clean and dirty, but the dampening is noticeably different, as in there actually is some now. The front end dosn't dive as much under hard braking which makes trail braking into a corner better controlled. The bike also holds a line better going through corners. The added dampening probably increases harshness on crappy pavement, or dirt riding, but I'm sure it will cut seconds off my trips to Publix for a quart of milk.

Today I learned, that you can run out of tire, talent and tenacity before you run out of trail.

I had to turn around and go back. I couldn't make it over Hayden Pass on Continental Conti-Motions. I am going to blame the rain turning the top half inch of the six inches of dirt to grease and also making the rocks slick.

Attachments

• Haze.jpg
    Haze.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Perspective.jpg
    Perspective.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Turnaround.jpg
    Turnaround.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
clicking on your links returns this:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of racing.systemstrategies.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

racing.systemstrategies.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
*.cnchost.com, cnchost.com

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

That looks like it would be unpleasant on a street tire. Glad you made it back unscathed :) The pics take a bit to load but will if you edit the address from https to http

If you are viewing from a PC or via the Youtube app on your phone, the video should be a 360 that you can pan around in and look at the scenery. On phones it comes out as a weird fish eye view. As you can tell from my picture struggles before, technology may not be my friend, but when it works I thought this was pretty cool.
[video=youtube_share;u_jWJ7Ts9QA]https://youtu.be/u_jWJ7Ts9QA[/video]

Been commuting for over a month and only drove my car to work three times over that period. Two straight weeks of good weather had me on the bike every day. Took my wife's minivan to get groceries yesterday. It drove funny. Too many wheels!

Came home and started working on a soupysperformance.Com kickstand. the part where you push the kickstand down with your foot broke off on the threaded part because it came loose and I didn't tighten it down with some threadlocker. So for the last year I've been dinking around with my heel. I got out an EZ out and a drill and I drilled out Both pieces and was successful and it's all fixed up and ready to go with threadlocker on it this time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Added luggage today, panniers and a top box. I was thinking I might need to start a go fund me page for gas money but then I remembered its an NC... lol.
NC.jpg

Today was my Combat Veteran friend Sam's first ride with me. He's the one i wrote about in another post, that unbeknownst to me was living his motorcycle dreams vicariously through my posts and had never mentioned it. Well, he then started borrowing my NC700 for rides and fell in love with my bike. So we spoke about getting him his own so he'd leave mine alone hahaha. I found him one over in Seattle Wa and we made a 13hr round trip and he then had his own bike!

Now after nearly two months, we were finally able to take our first ride together. We took I-90 from PF to Wolf Lodge, then SH97 south to Harrison for Pie/Ice Cream of course. Then continued south on SH97 to SH3 and on to St Maries where we stopped at My Kitchen Family diner. Then SH3 north to Rose Lake and went west bound on I-90 up over the pass to SH41 and stopped for fuel. It was a nice 127 mile trip, and with identical bikes Sam got 79 mpg and i got 91 mpg! Great ride, beautiful day, great friendship and of course delicious PIE! Everyone needs something to help them along. With my friend Sam, this is the happiest i've seen him in 15 years!! You just have got to love the freedom and enjoyment our bikes give us. :{)

our first rest stop.
Sams first ride with me, harrison for pie.jpg

...Delicious PIE...(sorry). :{)
Sams first ride with me, harrison for pie4.jpg

A second rest stop and saw a huge gathering of white cranes feeding in the chain lakes near Rose Lake/Sh3
Sams first ride with me, harrison for pie5.jpg

Time for the truth..who's NC700x bike/rider did better at the pump!
sams first ride with me, to harrison, st maries, rose lake & back home, sam 79mpg, me 91mpg, 127.jpg

Today was my Combat Veteran friend Sam's first ride with me. He's the one i wrote about in another post, that unbeknownst to me was living his motorcycle dreams vicariously through my posts and had never mentioned it. Well, he then started borrowing my NC700 for rides and fell in love with my bike. So we spoke about getting him his own so he'd leave mine alone hahaha. I found him one over in Seattle Wa and we made a 13hr round trip and he then had his own bike!

Now after nearly two months, we were finally able to take our first ride together. We took I-90 from PF to Wolf Lodge, then SH97 south to Harrison for Pie/Ice Cream of course. Then continued south on SH97 to SH3 and on to St Maries where we stopped at My Kitchen Family diner. Then SH3 north to Rose Lake and went west bound on I-90 up over the pass to SH41 and stopped for fuel. It was a nice 127 mile trip, and with identical bikes Sam got 79 mpg and i got 91 mpg! Great ride, beautiful day, great friendship and of course delicious PIE! Everyone needs something to help them along. With my friend Sam, this is the happiest i've seen him in 15 years!! You just have got to love the freedom and enjoyment our bikes give us. :{)

our first rest stop.
View attachment 36574

...Delicious PIE...(sorry). :{)
View attachment 36575

A second rest stop and saw a huge gathering of white cranes feeding in the chain lakes near Rose Lake/Sh3
View attachment 36576

Time for the truth..who's NC700x bike/rider did better at the pump!
View attachment 36577
Identical? Does the one on the left have a bigger aftermarket windshield? If so I would be interested to know if that was the bike with the lower mpg. Sounds like a wonderful ride!

Last edited:
alright wise guy...heh heh! i wondered if someone would notice and point that out. So, the bikes are "nearly" identical. In the top/first picture where my friend sam is pictured with the two bikes... the one on the left is his. It is a 2013, it has the factory 16T primary sprocket and a larger 22" windshield, a Modstad(sp). Mine is a 2012 and is pictured on the right. I have an aftermarket 17T primary sprocket and the tall factory Honda windscreen. :{)

alright wise guy...heh heh! i wondered if someone would notice and point that out. So, the bikes are "nearly" identical. In the top/first picture where my friend sam is pictured with the two bikes... the one on the left is his. It is a 2013, it has the factory 16T primary sprocket and a larger 22" windshield, a Modstad(sp). Mine is a 2012 and is pictured on the right. I have an aftermarket 17T primary sprocket and the tall factory Honda windscreen. :{)
Does that 17 tooth sprocket drop your RPMs a lot. What's that do for your pick up.

Does that 17 tooth sprocket drop your RPMs a lot. What's that do for your pick up.

The rpm's only dropped a couple of hundred, and as far as the acceleration i really like the way it pulls through each gear now. Not a big difference, but def noticeable and i like it! a month or so ago i went on the same ride alone, with the 16T and the small factory bikini screen. So, this trip with my friend i added the large factory windscreen and changed to the 17T. I'm wondering if there was a small loss with the larger screen and a small gain with the 17T. I got about 5-6 mpg better this trip. :{)

I saw that post where he was selling them. Have you ridden on them yet. If so, how do you like them.

YUP, and i just got back! We had thunderstorm/lightning warnings for this evening but I couldn't wait to take off and ride to try them out. So i made it a quick 55 mile ride. I stopped a couple of times for pictures but they seem "ok" so far. Saturday I'm headed up to the Canadian border with my friend Sam and i'm going to shoot for 300 or more miles if my backside can take it. I've never ridden further then 200 at one time/one day. So we'll see how it will go, i'll update more on the seats when i get back! :{)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back