• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

About to order windscreen(Cee Baileys)

Disappointed

Today I took the morning and made the short 20 mile trip to Madstad to try their windshield system. In the end it was an exercise in frustration. Dont get me wrong. Cody(the installer) did everything possible to try and make me happy but in the end I have damage(although very minor) to my motorcycle.

For starters, the appearance of the bracketry is what it is....Its Function over form...At least somewhat. I had him install both the 20" adventure and Sport SD. While going in I though I would like the Adventure more, I actually thought the Sport SD was less offending. Still, didnt think it made the bike look better in any way.

Next is the matter of Acrylic quality. I'm no expert on the material but I was disappointed with the quality. When you catch the lighting right you can see much "pitting" in the shield all over. Cody suggested it was from the Mold cloth when they form the shield. I didnt like it . Also, there were a couple of scratches Cody tried to buff out with Meguires Plastix. While he got out the original scratches, every area he buffed on took on an obvious haze. Seems to me this Acrylic is going to be extremely prone to scratches.

So, the shield is on and while I'm not thrilled, Cody suggested I take it for a ride and try it before final judgement. Off I go with the 20" Sport SD and my full face helmet. I will say it is an improvement from the stock shorty, I still found it noisy and experienced helmet shake. I tried to adjust it a couple of times but couldnt improve things to anything I found to be "good". Its better but not exceptional in my opinion. Cody offered me to try the Adevnture but I decided this is not the system for me.

Now the frustration begins. He removes the bracket assembly from the bike and the two exposed bracket nuts that sit extremely close to the instrument cluster housing scratched both sides!!!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED!(see photos)

So, home I am and trying to decide between the Puig and Cee Baileys 22".

As Dave once said, those expecting a magic bullet might be left disappointed. Truer words have not been spoken.

Attachments

• 20130615_113722.jpg
    20130615_113722.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 20130615_113730.jpg
    20130615_113730.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 340
  • 20130615_113742.jpg
    20130615_113742.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 20130615_113749.jpg
    20130615_113749.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Are you saying you don't think the other two are going to be success or that the ones you already tired weren't the magic bullet? I have the Honda tall screen and while is protects well it generates lots of noise. So I'm considering a switch.

I've been following this thread with interest, but does anyone know where one can order a Puig touring windscreen with the top mini-shield in the U.S?

I'm not suggesting anything other than I didnt find the Madstad to be remarkable and for the expense of it I found it not to be for me.

Does anyone know what color the instrument housing color is? I have to buy some touch-up paint.

Are you saying you don't think the other two are going to be success or that the ones you already tired weren't the magic bullet? I have the Honda tall screen and while is protects well it generates lots of noise. So I'm considering a switch.

Sorry about the cosmetic damage. I looked at mine and those mounting nuts that you think cause the damage are about an inch above the instrument cluster. They must have modified the design for it to have caused your damage.

Ugly? I certainly concur. But you are the first to complain of helmet rattle. Did Cody help with the screen adjustment?

Sorry about the cosmetic damage. I looked at mine and those mounting nuts that you think cause the damage are about an inch above the instrument cluster. They must have modified the design for it to have caused your damage.

Ugly? I certainly concur. But you are the first to complain of helmet rattle. Did Cody help with the screen adjustment?

The nuts "DID" cause the damage. When it was installed I looked and saw those nuts resting on the Bikes plastic. Thats what prompted me to look immedietly after Cody removed it. If yours sit an inch higher than the plastic either yours is mounted in the "upper" holes or they have modified the bracket since.

Just placed my order with Cee Baileys. I really like the look of the Puig the best however I dont think its going to be tall enough for me at 6'1". I ordered the 22" light tint. I'll do an honest review of it when I get it. As for my expectations?...I expect it too isnt going to be pretty, I'll still have wind noise but the aircraft grade Arylic should be extremely high quality and it cost alot less than the Madstad.

I am sorry it did not work out for you Craig, had hoped for better results when you went there. My ride is still up in Roswell GA thus I could not offer to say if my plates were mounted in a higher position or the lower holes. Hope you find the one you ordered fits your needs well.

My 3rd CalSci came in the mail today. I was at the ROT rally, so I have only had time to look at it. The mounting system is now with rubber mounts. Will let everyone know if this stopped the cracking problem. I really like the protection this windshield offers. But it can't crack.

So far I haven't had any trouble with my CalSci Sport windscreen. Sorry to hear about the cracking problems others are having. I hope it doesn't hit me since my discretionary funds are depleted at the present time.

Just placed my order with Cee Baileys. I really like the look of the Puig the best however I dont think its going to be tall enough for me at 6'1". I ordered the 22" light tint. I'll do an honest review of it when I get it. As for my expectations?...I expect it too isnt going to be pretty, I'll still have wind noise but the aircraft grade Arylic should be extremely high quality and it cost alot less than the Madstad.

I have the palmer brackets with the tall calsci and it works well. But I think the cee baily will work better, the calsci is to tall mounted on the brackets 22" cee baily looks better and should be the right heigth for the range of motion on the brackets.

bigmark - what are palmer brackets. Can I see a picture? I like the protection of the tall touring CalSci, but having cracking problems. The Cee Bailey is good looking, Looks like it will get the job done.

The nuts "DID" cause the damage. When it was installed I looked and saw those nuts resting on the Bikes plastic. Thats what prompted me to look immedietly after Cody removed it. If yours sit an inch higher than the plastic either yours is mounted in the "upper" holes or they have modified the bracket since.

Bingo! Mine are in the upper holes. I didn't realize that it is not an option to mount in the lower holes. Disappointing. A direct adaptor to the existing holes would have been far preferable to the intermediate mounting plate of course. I actually discussed it with Mark before purchasing the Madstad but he said it would be a nightmare to manufacture and stock a different adaptor for every model on the market. He does for some high volume models of course. Of course, that discussion is not so interesting for you since the Madstad failed on basic function for you.

bigmark - what are palmer brackets. Can I see a picture? I like the protection of the tall touring CalSci, but having cracking problems. The Cee Bailey is good looking, Looks like it will get the job done.

I will do my best to get some pictures posted in the next couple days. I am a bit computer challenged!

For more information and video of Palmer Brackets, do a search for palmerproducts.com.uk
All the information you'll need.

Can't wait for your review. I definitely need to get a taller shield but like you I really like more the look of the Puig but not sure if it would be tall enough for me.

Cee Baileys installed

Received my Cee Baileys 22" and got it installed. This morning I took a test ride up to 60 MPH and here's my evaluation. Again let me preface I am 6'1" with somewhat normal torso length. I wear a full face helmet but I tested both helmets today.

The quality of the Cee Baileys is what I expected....Superb. While the Cee Baileys is Acrylic like the Madstad, the Cee baileys is superior in finish and does not have the same "pitting" as I found on the Madstad. I got the Light Gray tint and it looks great! The Cee Baileys uses the same wellnuts as the OEM screen and they put supplied spacers between the wellnut and the screen. They also provide longer mounting hardware. I like the design of this screen the more I look at it. It has a reverse flip at the top of the shield and it just looks very well designed. With the screen in the "upper" mounting holes I look well over the top. It probably hits me between my chin and lower lip I'm guessing.

Initial riding impression is it does a remarkable job shielding me from the blast. I'm not a wide guy and I get no blast on my torso what-so-ever. At 60 MPH the wind hits me on the top of my helmet. Whats weird is I get more wind noise with my visor down than I do with it up. No buffeting at all, just some wind noise. If I was to slouch down a couple of inches I'm in totally silent air!! I recall another Cee Baileys user said if they made a 24" model it would be ideal...I agree. That forum member added adjustment brackets to raise his shield up. I may pursue that.

Overall I'm pleased with the price/quality/performance. Is it perfect? No but its quite good. If I had to compare with the experience I had with Madstad, they both perform somewhat similar but the Cee Baileys in my opinion is better quality, looks better and is less money(with a Caveat*)

* by the time I acquire backing plates and adjustment brackets the price difference is little.
20130628_094205.jpg20130628_094214.jpg20130628_094245.jpg20130628_094257.jpg

Back