• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Accidents Happen . . .

jelo

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a little mishap Saturday - slid on some gravel in a turn and ended up in the ditch on the side of the road. Was probably going ~35mph when the rear wheel came loose - could either continue down with it, or what I did was to steer into the slide - bike stood back up, but then of course I was angling off the road. Think I had grabbed the clutch and was on both brakes but not sure. Fork took the hit in the rut off the road and I think it was good I was vertical at that point. After that I fought trying to steer, but came down on the left side with the bottom of the bike sliding forward. I think in everything that happened I dumped a lot of energy along the way and there really wasn't an impact on me but we were both sliding in the gravel alongside the road. Slid to a stop in a cloud of dust. I got up, looked at myself, looked at the bike - was beat but nothing leaking so I stood it up, hopped on, hit the ignition - it fired right up. I was out in the boonies on my own, my left leg hurt a bit, think the weight of the bike came down on me at some point, but still had about an hour to ride to get home. So here's the pics, tough little bike! . . . DSC01226.jpgDSC01228.jpgDSC01230.jpgDSC01224.jpgDSC01232.jpgDSC01233.jpg

I'm glad you're ok... your family can replace a motorcycle.... they can't replace you.

Still, its hard to see a new bike take a hit like that!

Thanks for sharing and glad you are OK. Pics of gear are a testimonial for using it. Hate to think what the road rash pictures would have looked like if you had not been wearing good protective gear.

Yes, thanks for the well-wishes. Sometimes don't realize how remote things are out here until something happens. Plastic parts can be expensive to replace - but I didn't just walk away from the wreck, I got back on the bike and rode it home - It's a keeper in my book.

We can see how the safety equipment did worked. Hope everyone who can see your great pics, are now believers. Thanks for sharing. Might consider painting it black as another rider did. This is a cheaper fix.0.jpg

SmileySalute.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing and glad you are OK. Pics of gear are a testimonial for using it. Hate to think what the road rash pictures would have looked like if you had not been wearing good protective gear.

Wear safety gear all the time - head-to-toe - honestly don't even know what parts of me hit the ground - but the gear shows it, that stuff works.

As everyone above... best news is that you're OK!

As for the scratched parts... looks like we might have another report coming soon on plasti-dip... :cool:

Same here. Glad you are okay, thanks for sharing your story. I'll be honest I don't wear all the gear all the time, for my 10 mile commute on city roads especially. But you are convincing me to keep wearing the all my gear when I'm doing anything more adventurous. Probably abs would not have helped on this case, as it sounds like a sideways slide??

Just came up on this thread... Very sorry for your experience and the bike!
Like you said, it happens... Glad you are not seriously hurt! Let us know if any help is needed.

Jelo,
Glad you're OK and that the bike survived pretty much intact and getting you back home. But sounds like your skillful recovery attempts greatly reduced the potential damage, to both you and the bike. Good work!

$1000 worth of plastic and $0 in medical bills. Not bad at the end of the day - It could have been much worse. Glad you are OK!! I had a similar spill shortly after I got mine so I can relate.

At least you have sense enough to wear proper gear... I see too many people riding around in shorts and tank tops and sometimes even flip flops... I did it when I was too green to know better... now I'm in full gear every time I ride.

I hope you are able to fix her up without too much expense. It's a great bike

ATGATT! Good for you (and good for your luck, too - it never seems to take much to make things even worse than they were - kind of a "there but for the grace of God" thing, I guess). However, every time I get to thinking that I REALLY don't want to ride around in 100+ degree weather with all that stuff on, something like that happens either to me or to someone I hear from. And I get cured for yet another summer and keep on wearing my gear.

Glad you're okay.

I'll add my 2 cents. Really glad you're okay.

I worry all the time about the gravel in the turns around here. Love that pic of your helmet. maybe we should have a sticky here on gear that has protected the rider. Seems like we haven't convinced everyone yet.

Back