• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT What Do We Think?

I don't know where do you ride guys, but most of local cities have 35 mph speed limit
and if it is not slippery, of course I ride few miles faster than speed limit
and it is that point then 6th gear kicks in at 2200 RPM 37-38 mph

I just simply can't stand that puk puk puk it feels like engine is almost stopping
I'm not even talking if it will be slight uphill
it would be impossible to increase speed smoothly on the flat

But I'm glad it works for some of you

That's the nice thing about DCT
don't like D, switch to S or manual

Almost everyone, who drives DCT is happy

AZ

BTW, if I am not mistaking - you can mount a dummy clutch lever to the DCT, as well as the foot gear shifter. And (maybe after minor modes, not sure...) you can use foot shifter instead of the paddles on the bar.
I just remember seeing it done on Youtube somewhere...

Love my DCT!
"D" mode is never used (I don't commute on it), cause I feel it is lagging the engine unless you REALLY TWIST the throttle or intervene with the gear drop.
"S" is great for most of my riding. And I use "Manual" too quite a bit :) Depends on the road and my mood...

Lenny said it all!

D

My local dealer had a test ride last Saturday. One of the bikes I rode was the NC700X DCT. I already own the manual version and wanted to try the DCT. The ride was fine, but I miss the manual shifting. The thing that really impressed me was the ABS. The first time I used the rear brake just about threw myself over the handlebars. Those ABS brakes are fantastic, especially compared to the standard non-ABS bike. I sure wish the manual bike was offered with ABS in the USA.

I don't know where do you ride guys, but most of local cities have 35 mph speed limit
and if it is not slippery, of course I ride few miles faster than speed limit
and it is that point then 6th gear kicks in at 2200 RPM 37-38 mph

I just simply can't stand that puk puk puk it feels like engine is almost stopping
I'm not even talking if it will be slight uphill
it would be impossible to increase speed smoothly on the flat

But I'm glad it works for some of you

That's the nice thing about DCT
don't like D, switch to S or manual

Almost everyone, who drives DCT is happy

AZ

6th gear cuts in later if you open the throttle quick. The systems appears to be semi-intelligent and can sense your riding mood by your throttle openings. I've had 6th gear come in on my bike in D mode at around 46-48mph. So upto a point the bike going into 6th can vary by as much as 10mph. I agree with you if you are on a road or stuck in traffic where you're travelling at a constant 40 then 6th gear in D mode chugs, but normally you would just ride straight through it and hardly notice any chugging at all.

BTW, if I am not mistaking - you can mount a dummy clutch lever to the DCT, as well as the foot gear shifter. And (maybe after minor modes, not sure...) you can use foot shifter instead of the paddles on the bar.
Apparently made by Honda. Link from European site: https://dl.dropboxus...shift pedal.pdf

Just curious. Why?

My friends 2012 Toyota minivan has an automatic transmission, was purchased to take the family, with kids to vacation and travels. Yet on the steering wheel it has paddle shifters and a " manual mode.

Why? Because you can!

Yes, but does the van have a dummy clutch pedal? It can! But it doesn't :(.

The main purpose for the manual shifter on a minivan, for me anyway, is for locking out taller gears when towing.

Greg

Just curious. Why?

I think it's to conceal the fact that it's an automatic.
There are those that criticize and/or make fun of anyone that would ride this kind of bike (scooter). As with the Harley haters...I forgive them for they not know any better!!! :cool:

I suspect the following people will benefit from having a DCT.

1. People with arthritis in the wrists or just weak in the wrists
2. People who cannot or will not manual shift (erm which country has the most Automatic transmission cars? :p )
3. People who want to have a smoking cigarette in the left hand while riding (yes I have seen these people)
4. People who are very technically advanced (or inclined towards technology)
5. People who are migrating "up" from those big automatic scooters...
:p

My thoughts after 6000 DCT miles:
I use the NC as my only vehicle. In town the casual D mode makes for easy traffic negotiations with a flick of the thumb to down shift if needed, but at times it doesn’t hold the lower gear long enough but S mode makes that less necessary. The D mode will feel rougher at times and lug the engine. I have stated before that I tested both versions and felt the DCT fit the power band much better.
On a recent 3,500 mile trip chasing my friend on his new Ducati Multitrada through twisty mountains of Kentucky and West Virginia, No D mode ! :) Mostly S mode with lots of downshifts to 3rd for the majority of corners. Few corners allowed 2nd gear going in or to drive out and this is what kept me out of M mode most of the time, the upshift to 3rd was so quick that it was difficult to stay out of the rev limiter. S mode handled the 2nd gear drive well. There is talk of the transmission adapting / learning to your style ... The first half of day one in a series of turns unwanted upshifts to 4th were a hassle, later S would hold 3rd longer and even down some straights that had me triggering upshifts. Later I would shift between M and S for this. M mode worked well most of the time but when it was up to me to lead and feeling the need to set a pace the Italian Super Model behind me approved of the 2-3 upshifts were too much of a distraction keeping out of the rev limiter.
Off road the DCT helps. In the 70’s I rode enduros on a Husqvarna 390 auto and it was such an advantage for this B rider to gas and go ! The DCT just lets me concentrate more.
No doubt it is a different ridding experience but at this point in my riding one that I enjoy

Always been a manual rider, ... I could never replace.

One thing I would love to change is have another brake lever on the left handle bar rather than a footbrake and the bike would be prefect

I pretty much agree w/ what Badger said (and Rtreat49 & others) and what I edited out of the quote for brevity! I find that I often wish I had my front brake lever on the left rather than the right though to allow me to more easily and comfortably "cover" and operate both the brake & throttle. While it would likely be confusing for those who also own & ride traditional layouts I feel it would be much more ergonomic! I usually begin to brake with the combined front/rear ABS from the pedal but end up finishing with a good squeeze of the front brake. And I know that a panic stop would require hard application of both!

I think it's only a question of time before more bikes go with DCT or something similar! The Harley crowd will likely end up as the last holdouts in my estimation.

Last edited:
[...]
For commuting I find D mode perfect. Light throttle, not going anywhere in a hurry anyways. I've only used S mode twice so far. Both time I was on curvy switchback roads.

I find the Dual Clutch Transmission near perfect.

I use 99% D mode, S mode with passenger or in a very hurry situation. For the first 1000 km-s it was uncomfortable this low revving engine, but for now I feel it is very convinient.
Without ear plugs that clicking sound comes all the time from the clutch, but who cares?
For commuting it is a perfect system and also for canyon riding!
I hope, it will last long enough with proper care.

Most of the roads around London are 30mph limit. In D this is 5th gear. In S its 3rd. 4th feels about right to me. Personally I wish S changed up a little earlier.

Rode today. The dct in normal mode does shift fast, but I didn't mind that. I sat there enjoying the ride. No need to think about shifting. Just twist and go.

Ken

At first - I have to admit - I was making some "phantom moves" with my left hand and foot. But then I got used to it pretty quickly.

It has been a long time since I was riding motorcycles, so I guess in some areas it was easier to "switch" to automatic drive... and I openly acknowledge it's waaay easier.

I don't have any favorite gear mode... when commuting in the city - mostly on 'D' and switching to 'S' if want to overtake quickly. Manual downshift is a bless when downhill and breaking with engine.

Funny thing is when standing at the red light and "homegrown racers" stand next reving-up their beasts. The light goes green, their start making loads of moves with both wrists... and I'm just cruising next to them with my back straight, slowly opening the throttle and whistling inside my helmet. :cool:

Seriously... the low torque power in this bike is wonderful!

Most of the roads around London are 30mph limit. In D this is 5th gear. In S its 3rd. 4th feels about right to me. Personally I wish S changed up a little earlier.

If the RPM's is about 3.500 you can upshift with '+' i 'S' mode.

Back